WRX v's 01-02 Porsche Carrera 4

This is a discussion on WRX v's 01-02 Porsche Carrera 4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Befor I get started let me state that this is what happened weither the carrera has at 100% throttle or ...

WRX v's 01-02 Porsche Carrera 4

Befor I get started let me state that this is what happened weither the carrera has at 100% throttle or not.
    I was coming home from work two days ago when I came up behind a carrera 4. The driver saw me and pulled over into the right lane and gunned it. I followed him step for step from 80-approx 95 mph. He backed off and I passed him. Later on he snuck up on me and when he got about a half of a nose ahead he gunned it again. I down shifted to no avail. He just kept pulling. He had a slight head start and I actually started to run even with him till about 120 at about five car lengths behind but then the rex started floating (no spoilers ect.) and a scary hollow wailing noise came from under the car. I have no idea what the heck it was. but I coasted down. It was extremely windy that day.
    The Carrera however just kept pulling away like it was in a vacuum. That was pretty cool to watch the aeodynamic/HP advantage of the Porsche in action.
    I still was impressed with the Rex though but at highspeeds it can be nerve-racking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: WRX v's 01-02 Porsche Carrera 4

Originally posted by scoob
    That was pretty cool to watch the aeodynamic/HP advantage of the Porsche in action.
    At an $84,000 MSRP, that's a $60,000 aerodynamic/HP advantage!

Re: Re: WRX v's 01-02 Porsche Carrera 4

Originally posted by bedabi

At an $84,000 MSRP, that's a $60,000 aerodynamic/HP advantage!

Ya thats rite!!

But just think... your 25K WRX just kept up with some almost TRIPLE in value thats the coolest thing about it

I guess you got a point, but I doubt he new what he was doing, I just don;t think a WRX (stock) can hang with a Porsche Carrera at fullboil. The numbers just seem too far apart for both cars. By the way has anybody heard about the rear main engine seals on the boxster-s going out at just 7K! Man that sucks! I found that out in one of last years Autoweek Mags.

Originally posted by scoob
    By the way has anybody heard about the rear main engine seals on the boxster-s going out at just 7K! Man that sucks! I found that out in one of last years Autoweek Mags.
    Man, that would stink! I would be none too happy if I'd just spent that kind of dough only to have to put it in the shop that quickly.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

The word in other forums is that the howling you heard was simply a resonating hood scoop. Nothing to worry about, but it seems that quite a few people get freaked out by it when they don't know what it is.
    - 02 WRX
    - 91 Impulse RS AWD Turbo

well, in defense of the porsche, I don't doubt that it is worth the extra money... take them to the twisties, and that porsche will leave the WRX without a bit of sliding through the corners...

I like them both, but I would get a porsche any day (unless I had to pay for it)

I don't doubt that the WRX kept up with the carrera on the highway... The only real advantage is it gets off the line faster...

my brother ran against an E39 M5 (2001) with his E34 M5 (1991) on sunday. The new M5 had 2 ppl in it while my brother had 4 ppl in his... the new M5 has 400hp, and my brothers has 310hp... the guy in the new M5 took off first, but my brother kept up with him once he got in the powerband... and then once they lined up neither car could pull on the other... the main advantage is the new M5 can get off the line better b/c of the torque... which makes it a faster car on paper, but not necessarily in real life...

but the porsche and the wrx are pretty different cars.

I think you overestimate the potential of the Porsches. A well setup WRX could definately hang with one through the corners. But you are correct if you want to compare stock to stock, although a cheap spring kit and swaybars nix that advantage really quickly.
    - 02 WRX
    - 91 Impulse RS AWD Turbo

I did mean stock to stock... to say the least... you could probably hang with one with a simple set of swaybars...

Im not trying to bash anything, but there is a reason (besides the name) that the Porsche has a $60k price premium... now an STI would be a different story... stock for stock they would probably be even (sti-911)

For one thing, our cars won't call up the factory and fix stuff as your driving along...at least minor stuff. Otherwise, I think it'll notify a dealer and have parts ordered, etc. Pretty crazy stuff, huh? Maybe that's just the 911 Turbo. I can't remember for sure.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

that seems like a turbo or GT2 thing... I dont believe it would have that for a regular 911... but then again... if they have an onstar type thing it wouldn't seem out of the question...

Did anyone read the WRX vs. 911 in Automobile magazine? it is a pretty good article... it compares the two.. and it says that the WRX is alot like a less civilized 911 carrera 4... and I know the engines sound alot alike... at least the WRX sounds alot like the water cooled flat 6 from the 996's... not so much like the aircooled ones...