00 S2000 vs. 02 WRX
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 00 S2000 vs. 02 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So finally my brother ( Tom ) and I decided to go at it since we read all the posting ...

00 S2000 vs. 02 WRX

So finally my brother ( Tom ) and I decided to go at it since we read all the posting about S2000 vs. WRX and other cars. I met at his place at 9am near Town Center Mall and headed out at 10am up 575N. I was a little too many cars than planned so we had to pull to the emergency lane and wait alot of time. We started some tests: 0-06, 0-80, 10-60, 10-80, 25-60, 25-80 ... and of course the fun 0-100+, and 10-100+ ... :devil:. We both had our cell phone w/ headset on and since we both have way too many minutes we just kept an open line. We both took turns calling 1, 2, 3, "Go" and we would start on "Go" to make it fair.
    Anytime 0-X with an ok to good launch would smoke the S2000 by like 2+ car lengths easily. However any rolling starts 10/25mph-X the S2000 and WRX would be even to about 60mph w/ the S2000 still pulling at little even before 60mphs but then the S2000 just keeps on pulling hard to 100+ while the WRX doesn't really do anything. During the long test 0-100 ( since basically the WRX only seems to shine due to launch ) the WRX would be 2+ cars lengths ahead but I can see from the rearview mirror that the S2000 starts to creep up around 75mph. I'm sure if we kept on racing past 100mph the S2000 would have blown right by me. Remember all these comparisons are stock vs. stock. It was a blast.
    Later my brother and I took my car to do some errands locally ( so I have a trunk ) and I did 2 fun launches ... the 1st was great ... it threw Tom's head back into the seat and he said "damn this things pulls" and I said "even w/ 2 people stock" :devil:. The second run was a little more funny, we're still doing errands on Barrett Pkwy and I see this new ric* Prelude w/ body kit, spolier, and etc ... then Tom said it was a girl driving. I was hoping she'd try something but she didn't so I was bored. We both come up to the next light and I pull on purposely right next to her on her right. I look over to my left and and she looks over at the exact same time. I start reving ... :devil: and my brother's like "no you're not" and I said "why not, i'm giving her a 220lbs+ advantage since you're ( Tom ) in the car w/ other stuff ( lumber, nails, drill bits, etc from Home Depot )." The girl has a grin on her face so I was like ok she knows ... till the light turns green. I rev and ... damn, it boggs .... I was so pissed, anyways I still keep going and she was besides me after bogging till about 4K rpm in 1st then I notice us passing her like she was still ... I go through 2nd and now 60+mph I shift into 3rd and slow down since the speed limit is 45mph and I'm doing 70mph. I look back and she like 5+ car lengths away :lol:. I can't believe a new Prelude can't even catch a REX w/ another passenger and luggage :devil:.
    So now my brother's "torque envious" as Tom would say. Also Tom's pushing me to get some "go fast" mods so I'd be running 300+/- hp. Tom's also so jealous how we can drop 1,700 and get 298 hp ( TurboXs Stage 2 ). He wished he could drop 2K and get 70hp. Brother's w/ the same hobbies are cool. So now I know not to mess w/ an S2000 in a roll ... well at least not till I get some mods ... :devil:.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow, that seemed really fun.

BTW, you say :devil: a lot. i dont get it?
    free food is the best food

Yo

Actually I didn't notice the "devil" icon until after I posted. I was writing the little blurb from IClub and copied and pasted it and I didn't know the shortcut icosn would not work ... so when I used the "devil" it should look like:

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...hreadid=134608

hahhaa that exlains it
    free food is the best food

I still remember when those S2k's used to clown on WRX's down here until I showed them whats up with MBC and 1.1 bar was all about. Never again will we be clowned on again. S2k's are awesome cars though....

Yo

I so got the Vishnu up-pipe, boost gauge, and EGT gauge this past weekend. I ordered an MBC whcih I will tune to 16-17psi and I will have a rematch w/ my brother in his S2000. . I wonder if I can drop him by 5 cars ( 2 cars stock ) in the 0-X launch and maybe keep up w/ him in the rolling starts?

A stock WRX is no match for the S2000, and the painful memory is still fresh in my mind. The S2000 with a good launch will keep its lead all the way throu, not saying that th WRX isn't fast, but comparing to the S2000 is isn't fast enough. I raced one and it is consistantly 1 car length ahead.

On the freeway it's the same story. They have shorter gearing and accelerate like a rocket. Our 4ht and 5th gears are too long, and it is only suitable for cruising.

But, like the other gentleman said, with a boost controller it's a different story. I got my Apexi boost controller set on 16 psi and it makes a big difference.

I'm surprised that your stock wrx passed that mod'd prelude like that. I'm thinking it was an auto becuase the 5 speed ludes are much faster then that.

I used to have a 5th gen lude and raced a rex before. From the line, I would get spanked... but from a punch, we would be neck on neck. Mods were a full catback exhuast and cold air intake for my lude while the rex was stock.

they have 6 gears and can keep the power up in the sweet spot from the roll. If you guys did a 30-100 punch, S2000 would have pulled on you bad. On the race track, you don't need a good 0-60 time, and s2000 is a race track car..
    But since 90% of us do not race on tracks, stop lights can be fun

Umm...

MY MBC did NOT come in today ... I hate slow shipping, and they wonder why I'd rather pay things online.

From the pages of Car and Driver:

Our most recent test of the S2000 pitted Honda's radical roadster against the BMW M roadster, Porsche Boxster, and Mercedes SLK ("Bending the Rules," October 1999). The little Honda's acceleration numbers weren't as quick as the Camaro's -- 0 to 60 took 5.8 seconds, the quarter-mile clocked in at 14.4 seconds at 98 mph -- but as eager as I was to see it my way, I put the disparity down to the S2000's tepid torque (153 pound-feet, max) and tricky launch characteristics. Since the engine doesn't start making real power below 6000 rpm, it's hard to get this car out of the blocks in a hurry without frying the clutch.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...lass=20&page=2
    There's a touch more turbo lag than in the Audi, but we could get a better launch in the Subaru, which gave it a slight edge in the low-speed-acceleration tests. The trick is to do the unthinkable in a four-wheel-drive car: Hold the revs at five grand, and drop the clutch. The WRX's full-time four-wheel-drive system uses a viscous limited-slip center differential that routes power equally to the front and rear axles. The clutch drop breaks the tires loose for only an instant, and then the WRX leaps off the line, scooting to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and through the quarter in 14.1 seconds at 96 mph both the best of the bunch. Turbo lag, however, rears its head in the top-gear tests where the Subaru trails from 30 to 50 mph.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...=subaru&page=3
    Sorry Honda dudes, the S2000 may be faster (98mph trap speed and superior aerodynamics), but the WRX is quicker to 100mph.

Also, more HP is very difficult to extract from the S2000 since it is VERY well tuned from the factory. A boost controller, air filter, and BOV (<$450) puts me at 13.8 in the 1/4.

Humm ...

Maybe 0-75 not the 75-X range. My brother's S2000 started pulling on me at 75-80mph when I was stock. We'll see again in a few weeks.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    i love the s2000, but have only run with one once. there was some traffic so it wasnt a real race. man, the sound those cars' engines make is nasty! at 8-9k rpm, that thing is loud!

comparing the wrx to s2k: SHOW ME a car for 25000 or less that can outperform the wrx and we'll have a winner. nothing comes close, and for the s2000's price i would expect it to do somewhat better than the wrx or else i'd feel i wasnt getting my money's worth.

i hear that the s2k does pretty good on the autox. better than the wrx???

First of all, the S2000 is faster to 100mph then the WRX, in fact, a Type S might be able to do the same 0-100mph time as the WRX.

The S2000 already does 1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds at 100mph trap time. It may be low on torque, but it sure has plenty RPM and enough torque at high engine speeds to make 240HP. The 6 speed tranny doesn't hurt it either, and the light weight definitely helps. BTW, we are talking both cars stock so boost controllers and exhaust don't count. I run 13.9 with just a boost controller, but that is not considered stock.

The Prelude does not stand a chance against the WRX. I raced my friend and I had two other passengersin the car, and not only did I got a good launch, I pulled away from him. Without the passengers, he was beaten worse. I know the Lude has 200HP but the car is heavy, the Lude even has a hard time against the Type S.

I would say right now the closest comparison to the WRX is the Type S for about the same money. Although they are two different kinds of cars, these are the only two cars I can think of that even come close.

which type s? acura? honda?

either way... show me the numbers. i'll never hesistate to run a honda.

dR

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast