00 S2000 vs. 02 WRX - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 00 S2000 vs. 02 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well Tom and I haven't run since our last encounter on the hwy to the tracks when I only moved ...

Rematch

Well Tom and I haven't run since our last encounter on the hwy to the tracks when I only moved 1/4-1/2 a car length from 55-100mph the whole time. Well now that I have the dp and catback I wanna see if I can walk away from him. We plan on rematching this coming Sat morning around 8-9am .
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Great story, btw when I picked up my rex last week I saw a yellow S2000 inside the Subaru show room. It is mint.

Turned out the owner traded it in for a black WRX with the works.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Originally posted by WRXrumble
    Great story, btw when I picked up my rex last week I saw a yellow S2000 inside the Subaru show room. It is mint.

Turned out the owner traded it in for a black WRX with the works.
    Smart move! The S2000 LOOKS nice... but that is pretty well the only good thing I can say about it. I mean seriously, 150lb-ft of torque???? I'm surprised the thing can even haul 2 people, much less one! We all know that HP is only good for top end so I guess in a race from 100mph, the S2000 might have a chance. Ooops, add a $40 MBC to a WRX and it has more torque AND hp than the S2000. What a useless pile of crap and to think it costs $10K more than the WRX. Hehe, I shouldn't laugh because I was stupid enough to buy an RSX, but at least I didn't pay Cdn$50,000 for my leather seats!!
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Hey,
    I know this post was old, and now its back new again, but I was reading about the turboxs stage 2 kit. I went to the website and looked at what it includes, is there a huge price difference if you would buy the parts separately? For example, their exhaust system might be louder than what I'd want, so could I get rid of that, and just buy the other stuff, but not pay a ton more?

Update

Well as many know my brother, Tom, owns a 2000 S2000 and we like to benchmark ourselves when I do mods. Stock vs. stock I'd jump him 2+ car lengths from a 0-Xmph, but Tom would start pulling around 70+mph. If we ever rolled the S2000 would ALWAYS walk away, fast pace walking away . After my first group of mods of the Vishnu uppipe and Boostvalve MBC @ 16psi we did some more racing during rolls because we didn't feel like lanuching since the WRX would ALWAY smoke him . 60-100mph racing the WRX would pull 1/2-3/4 car length ... so basically a WRX was pretty much even w/ a S2000 at hwy speeds w/ a uppipe and MBC. However as always the Rally Body would start to slow down at 70-90mph while the S2000 would keep on going.
    Well this morning Tom and I decided to go again after my second group of mods of the Stromung catless downpipe and Tanabe Super Racing Medallion. We always race w/ everything in a car for usual driving and a full tank of gas. On a 20-100mph roll the WRX would have him by 2 car lengths easily. On a 50-100mph roll I'd have about 1.5+ car lengths. However everytime between 80-90mph the S2000 would always start creeping up. Tom said I'd just walk away ... not too fast but fast enough. Well of course I wanted to do the powerful AWD launch aganist an S2000 so we did. Off the line the WRX would jump 4 car lengths ahead ... "The beauty of AWD!" ... I sound like a commerical.
    So basically the summary is that I've spent around $1500 in mods "so far" ... counting taking people out to dinner, tools, materials, etc. I'm thinking "probably" 270hp at the cranks and "maybe" 220whp, but if I can get a dyno nearby then I'm all game. I need a EMS or CHIP so I can garb the 20-30hp I'm not getting from tunning my mods. Purchasing a $25K+ car and adding $1500+ of mods for $27K+/-, you can have a <4.8sec 0-60 car doing 13.X+ in the 1/4 mile and basically a fun toy. Representing!
    2004 STI White/Gold

Re: Update

Originally posted by chuglobal
    I need a EMS or CHIP so I can garb the 20-30hp I'm not getting from tunning my mods. Purchasing a $25K+ car and adding $1500+ of mods for $27K+/-, you can have a <4.8sec 0-60 car doing 13.X+ in the 1/4 mile and basically a fun toy. Representing!
    Good work, Chuglobal!

I was on my way to Towson, MD from MIR on Friday night and met up with some cool Asian dudes with S2000s. One of them even had a VA license plate S II K. Very cool. These cars were sweet, tons of money spent far: V-TEC controls, CF this and that, HUGE spoilers... I asked them is they wanted to raise. The one guy said, "Are you kidding?" I said, "No." They weren't interested. I can't blame them. They were out cruising with their chicks and were apparently close to losing their licenses if they got caught speeding again. Either that or they knew I'd hand them a smackdown. Ya never know...

BTW, I'll let you know what I think of the Link when I finish tuning it. It's a PITA, but I'm having fun anyway. I just wish the closed loop tuning was more effective. It kind of sucks.

-Jim

Keep up the good work with the S2000 spanking.

I would be somewhat skeptical of you pushing 220 WHP though if you just have an MBC and a uppipe + turbo-back, since this number is basically what TurboXS measure at the wheels with their stage-2 kit which includes a Unichip. At this point, the stock turbo is pretty much at it's limits. If you dyno, my guess is that you'd see around 200whp - somewhere in the region of 250 at the crank, which is still pretty darn good for only $1500 in mods.

Let us know what you find - I'm interested because your setup is very close to what I was running for a few months.

-Pace

Humm ...

Could 227hp vs 250hp make THAT much of a difference? I went from getting spanked by a S2000 on the hwy to spanking it ... could 23hp big that extreme? TurboXs claims 298hp w/ basically the same setup as me w/out the UniChip ( EMS ) whatever you wanna call it. I figured the UniChip ( EMS ) was good for 20-30hp thus the 270hp guessing game for me?
    2004 STI White/Gold

Chuglobal, Pace might be right. By by any measure, 1500 bucks of
    mod to turn a 25k car that can shame 30+K cars is one hell of a bang
    for the buck. Btw Chu I ordered the boostvalve kit.

When I am done with mine it will be 100% more fun then my old Talon
    TSI (HKS turbo upgrade and the works) by far. You should see the
    torgue steer I get from launching the TSI, it sucks big time. The WRX is like a rocket off the line and I can go fast over any bumps without 2 much concerns. Torque steer and bumps don't mix well
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Humm ...

So can 30 hp make that much of a difference?
    2004 STI White/Gold

Re: Humm ...

Originally posted by chuglobal
    Could 227hp vs 250hp make THAT much of a difference? I went from getting spanked by a S2000 on the hwy to spanking it ... could 23hp big that extreme? TurboXs claims 298hp w/ basically the same setup as me w/out the UniChip ( EMS ) whatever you wanna call it. I figured the UniChip ( EMS ) was good for 20-30hp thus the 270hp guessing game for me?
    Actually TurboXS measure 222 HP at the wheel, which they optimistically equate to 298 crank HP. By my calculation its closer to 277HP accounting for a 20% driveline loss. Dan and others have stated that they believe this is close to (if not at) the limits of the stock turbo.

If you were pushing 220 WHP, that would be somewhere between 40-50HP gain over stock, which is unlikely for just an MBC and turbo-back. To answer your question though, yes you will definitely feel the difference between a 227HP WRX and a 250HP WRX, and it could very likely give you the edge in a close race. Remember that your mods will allow you to spool quicker, giving you a torque curve that is left-shifted, even if your peak HP is not outstanding. The area under the curve is probably more important for real-world driving than the graph peak.

-Pace

Answer YES!! My bro in law and I both have rex's. He has a custom cat back with an injen cold air intake. I have an SPO stage 0.5 which basically is a Borla cat back, K&N and the SPO boost controller. We were on the highway side by side. Iwas running about 14.5 boost and he would pull on me in 3rd and 4th all the time. Pulled over and turned up the wick on mine to 15.5 (we have 94 octane here) and then I pulled on him BIG time. I would not think the 1 psi extra would be worth anywhere near 30 HP, probably more like 10 or 12. Therefore it makes sense that 30 extra on yours would have made a huge diff.

By the way, I love my rex and would never trade it but I wish i could afford an s 2000 as well....and a cobra, and an LS1, and a vette, now an old muscle car would be nice too........
    Don't flame. Be nice

Humm ...

I just need a dyno and a simple mathemathical equation to calculate hp at the crank and tranferring them to the wheels. Anyone? This has been an open discussion so anyone have any facts to back it up?
    2004 STI White/Gold

Wheel HP is really the important one. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to extrapolate your crank HP - nobody (short of Subaru technicians) knows the exact loss. Some folks seem to use a fixed overhead loss, while others use a percentage loss.

Let us know your WHP if you get it dynoed.

Cheers,
    -Pace

Humm ...

Are there any SOA technicians floating around here? I would definitely like to get the real deal on how to make the calculation. Well I also need to find a AWD dyno.
    2004 STI White/Gold

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.