All motor SI vs. WRX
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on All motor SI vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just raced a Civic SI on the way home from work tonight. He pulled up next to me at 40 ...

All motor SI vs. WRX

Just raced a Civic SI on the way home from work tonight. He pulled up next to me at 40 mph and gunned it, so I followed but couldn't catch up. At the next light we both launched and of course my WRX had about two car lengths he started to catch up but we were coming to the next light. I talked to him at the light to see what he had, cause I usually smoke Si's. He said all motor- heads,cams etc.. So we ran one more time- took him off the line again with a 3k drop- to give him a chance- let him catch up and then at about 50 mph we were even and I floored it but he started to pull away, next thing I know were at about 120 and he has about 2 car lengths on me.. It seems like the WRX has no top end, what can I do to improve it.
    Mods:Injen CAI
    GFB pulley kit
    Samco I/C hoses
    5Zigen catback
    Also 18's
    Planned mods:uppipe and downpipe
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

more top end power? why dont you get a cheap mbc?

Don't have a boost gauge yet- waiting on autometer to come out with a gauge pod. Also don't want to affect my reliablity.

Well looks like you didnt race no stock all motor. He must have had alot of work done to beat an all stock WRX. That SI must have had at least $6-8K of motor work.

You say you have 18's? what kind? I had 18's on my car for the summer, and recently put my stockers back on, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! If you have heavy wheels, its gonna slow you down alot.
    drive it like ya stole it

booooooooost controller The car can handle 2psi more of boost SaFelY...

I just sunk $500 into one, and i dont even have the car yet

Yeah a Boost Controller will help out a bunch. But for the ultimate in top end power, you need an upgraded turbo. I used to have trouble with the SI's and the cars alike up top but now that I have a PE1820, I smoke em in any gear, any rpm's and any speed.... and of course I have other mods (i.e. Vishnu tuned Unichip, Injen CAI, etc, etc,etc)

~joe

EDIT:
    Well maybe not any rpm's because I sacrificed low end for top end. But I've learned to keep it within boost range...
    Last edited by valdezj; 01-14-2002 at 11:21 AM.

My 18's are tecnomagnesio's- not sure how much they weigh though. The only time I would ever take them off would be for a trip to the track, but I doubt I would even do it then.
    Are all MBC created equal? I was thinking of getting one from boostvalve.com ($40 I think) What's the diff. between TurboXS HPMBC- is it worth the extra money. A MBC will only be temporary till I get my Cobb tuned unichip with boost control( once all my other mods are completed.)

Heavy wheels = slower car. The only 18" wheels I would get are the SSR Comp's. At 15 pounds, "Tire Rack says" they weigh in one pound below stock. They cost big $$$ though.

God
    Be careful on those Si's. I have built many a fast Si and Type R that would embarrass a stock WRX. Modded of course you would kill him. To increase top end power you can do two things, remove cats, change the turbo for a bigger one.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Your not serious are you? If this is true the only thing I would believe is that he had a gsr engine swap with lots of work. A civic si with its stock motor even with a ton of mods would not hang with WRX at any speed. I used to drive a prelude vtec w/mods and it was quick but not anywhere close to a WRX. You cant get much out of those engine usless you go FI.
    New:
    2005 Electric Blue Lancer Evo VIII

Traded:
    Platinum Silver 02 WRX
    TurboXS stage2

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with SilverX. My buddy with the Si was no match for me before he dropped his Greddy turbo kit in, and he already had an Apexi AFC, a Tanabe Racing Medallion Exhaust, and a Blitz SUS Power Intake.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

God
    I'm not talking about bolt ons. I'm talking about real engine work which is what I do on Hondas. High compression, big cams, ECU etc. . . .
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Heh yeah I gotcha...bolt-ons won't do much but you drop a turbo in an Si and us Scoobies are looking for trouble...believe me, I know
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

SilverX- A GSR engine only has 10 more horsepower than a Civic SI engine, so I don't think that would have made to much of a difference.
    I didn't believe the guy either, that's why I asked him at the second light again- and he said major engine work heads,cams,etc...
    After looking at Godspeeds webpage and the project SI, I believe it is possible. God- what does that car run anyway?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.