REX vs 92' 3000GT VR-4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on REX vs 92' 3000GT VR-4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; There is some guy always trying tell me he'll spank me in his 92' 3000GT VR-4. Every time I get ...

REX vs 92' 3000GT VR-4

There is some guy always trying tell me he'll spank me in his 92' 3000GT VR-4. Every time I get next to him at a light he never races me. He is all stock and I am too. How do I compare to him?
    HKW

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

God
    He will in all likelihood slaughter you.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Well, I think these are the stock specs for the VR4:

3.0 Litre Twin Turbo V-6

320 hp @ 6000 rpm

315 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm

0-60 5.4 secs

1/4 mile 13.5 @ 101.6

.89g on the skidpad

So, you'll probably get beat, but it's going to depend on the driver.... etc....

That car is pretty heavy, that's why it doesn't get to the 1/4 as fast as you would have thought...

Now, go get a boost guage $50 or so, a $30-60 mbc, take out your silencer, buy a $40 K&N filter, and spend a couple of hundred bucks on your up and down pipes..... You should have no problem beating him......

At least up to the 1/4, then he'd probably start pulling on you....

Take him on! See where you stand......Safely of course....
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!

I thought the VR4 with 320 and all wheel drive would have pulled 5 or better 0-60... 5.4 is kind of surprising for all of that.

Dont get this wrong but if the 3kGT-VR4 is being driven by the right person would slaughter a WRX any time of the day. The VR4 just happens to break trannies like crazy when being launched at very high RPM's. I cant remember exactly how heavy the VR4's are but somewhere around 3800-4K lbs.

I've seen his time slips in the 1/8th. He is running 9.43 best time. He also said that the 91-91 VR-4's came with 300hp.
    HKW

hey guys
    well i m just a visitor here and am a Stealth TT owner but really like your cars. Just to clarify things here for ya... pre 94 STealth/3KGT they were 300 hp stock. If both of you guys are stock and you race...ya, you ll get killed. our cars are extremely heavy girls but don t be fooled by that , there s a lot of HP under the hood. If you get a BC of any kind you should be able to make it closer, but just remember, if he puts in the same mods in his car...you are back at square one cause with boost control etc. A stealth or 3kgt...becomes a serious contender. Anyway, have a good one fellas and again, you got great cars...i like em...a lot.

D

oh ya one more thing...our trannies don t break very easy or often...even with 4k clutch dumps. And ya they are about 3800 lbs. Slim fast anyone??

Thanks for chiming in davin24. It's always nice to see other auto enthusiasts give meaningful contributions. (Welcome aboard the board!) I almost got a 3000, but opted for the Montero (now there's a difference, huh?) by in '95. They are definitely nice cars, but the VR4 was out of my price range at the time and the "normal" ones were way too underpowered for me. I figured, if I'm going underpowered, get a SUV!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

In my WRX my best 1/8 mile was 8.745.....

.......one time when I missed a gear I ran a 9.471 at the 1/8 and ended up running a 14.527 in the 1/4.

When I did those runs all I had done was an EBC and K&N filter. I also had synthetic oils, if you count that

dug

oh yeah:

91-93 vr4 specs:
    weight- 3760
    hp- 300
    tq- 310

lbs/hp= 12.53
    lbs/tq= 12.13

WRX
    lbs/hp= 13.59
    lbs/tq= 14.21

My WRX
    (est based on 3060lbs, 267hp & 273tq at the flywhl- dyno backed)
    lbs/hp= 11.46
    tq/hp= 11.21
    Last edited by dug-e-fresh; 01-23-2002 at 10:20 AM.
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

Do not race him until you get a Manual Boost Controller turned up to 16psi. Then it will be a good race.

Race him anyway. Just so you know where you're at...

~joe

ok guys, This is what you've been waiting for. I finally got a chance to race him.

We bumbed in to each other at a Taco Bell. He asked me if I was up for a race, I gladly accepted. We spent a few minutes in the parking-lot checking out each others' rides. He has just put in a MBC a few days ago. Then we pulled up to a light. When the light turned green, it was on. I used the slip/drop clutch technice at about 4g's.(thank you PlatinumWRX, I've been practicing for almost a month now). Off the line I had about a half car lead on him. But once I got into second, he started to catch me. And at the end of second going into third I was almost 1/2 a car length behind. At the end of third he was a clean 2 car length away and that was when he backed-off the throttel. We found another light and basicly the same thing happened.

Afterwards, we went back to Taco Bell. He said he was actually surprised on how well my car did. Also that he never even thought a four-door/four-banger could be that fast stock.
    HKW

moral victory!!

Your down 2 cylinders, 1 liter, 1 turbo, 1 gear, 73hp and 93ft/lbs.

He's down (or up) 700lbs....and you did not too shabby!

You should make him aware that your turbo is an upgrade for him...... charge him $500-$700 for it and go out and by a bigger turbo for the WRX.....then beat him with your stock one under his hood....how sweet would that be!!
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

Rice Boi,

Nice job.

Get a boost controller and go race him again!

-Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.