SRT-4 road test - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on SRT-4 road test within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; IMHO, I believe FWD, RWD and AWD have their advantages depending on the surface and track. For drag racing, RWD ...

IMHO, I believe FWD, RWD and AWD have their advantages depending on the surface and track. For drag racing, RWD is the choice for drag racers running less than 8's. On dirt, gravel and snow nothing beats AWD. On twisty asphalt, a properly prepared FWD will dominate AWD and RWD. That was seen in WRC when Citroen dominated with FWD before they went AWD on the asphalt events. So it really dependent on the type event that really determines the "weapon of choice".

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by superdj
    On twisty asphalt, a properly prepared FWD will dominate AWD and RWD. That was seen in WRC when Citroen dominated with FWD before they went AWD on the asphalt events.
    IIRC, the Citroens are AWD. If FWD was the better setup for "twisty asphalt", why aren't the world's best performing cars FWD? What do you know that Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Chevrolet (Corvette), Lotus, etc. have missed? Why aren't F1, Cart, Indy, etc. cars FWD? The reason is because FWD is an inferior layout for handling.

FWD works great for interior packaging, you don't need a big transmission (and driveshaft) tunnel. For handling, RWD or AWD is clearly better.
    Last edited by Rich10; 03-04-2003 at 07:06 PM.
    2002 WRX WRB

\
    The reason is because FWD is an inferior layout for handling.
    Exactly, they dont call it wrong-wheel-drive for nothin'

Rich10, Point taken. However, If you have been following WRC as long as I have, You would know the WRC had an F2 class where Citroen was FWD. They just recently switched to AWD so that they could compete in all the events. Before, they would only compete in asphalt events. Anyway that was not the point. The point is know your track and select the right vehicle for it. Right now, in terms of highway racing "Fast and Furious style", AWD are getting their asses kicked here in MIA by turbo Civic's, turbo integras, turbo 240x's, Supras etc... Why? It's all highways here and sunny and that's where these cars excel. But if these cars were up north, they would struggle in the snow. That's my point.

superdj,

I am not familiar with the F2 class of WRC. My guess is that if Citroen was even competitive with AWD cars on tarmac, they got the benefit of some sort of rules mandated weight advantage. IIRC, in Trans Am racing, Audi Quattro's dominated even with a weight disadvantage.

I still don't get your point. If you are referring to highway driving, it doesn't much matter which wheels are powering the car. Its really just a hp, weight, gearing and aerodynamics equation. But, in your earlier post, you said, "On twisty asphalt, a properly prepared FWD will dominate AWD and RWD." That statement is incorrect
    2002 WRX WRB

Rich 10, Maybe I should have said "can dominate" rather than "will dominate". I have seen AWD and FWD with similar HP going against each other in street racing and most of the time the FWD wins. I am saying this based on what I have seen. Maybe, it's gearing or weight or inexperienced driver that caused the AWD to lose. Also, remember this is not 1/4 mile racing and normally these guys race until one start pulling away from the other at top speed. In this scenario, the AWD was weak. However, if both these cars were placed in dirt or gravel environment, the AWD will shine. That's all I am saying. I don't have anything against AWD, as a matter of fact I love AWD because of the versatility and technology. But FWD also have their advantages.

One of the disadvantages of AWD vs FWD is weight. Another is higher drivetrain losses. I tend to think that for the type of racing that you are discussing, weight is the more important factor. Lets say that you have a WRX and Civic that both have 300hp at the crank. Since the Civic will likely weigh 500lb less than the WRX, it will be faster. I don't think that AWD vs FWD is the deciding factor.

BTW, I have nothing against FWD cars. My family car is FWD and I have owned FWD cars in the past. FWD cars have certain advantages over RWD and AWD. The transmission (or driveshaft) tunnel can be smaller or non-existant for better space utilization. You don't need a heavy driveshaft and rear differential. I still hold that FWD is not the best layout for handling.
    2002 WRX WRB

Agreed.

no, dont agree. argue some more
    2003 Subaru WRX (5SPD)
    You may have a turbo. You may even have 227 horses. But if you don't have the control of Subaru AWD, you can't touch this

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345