race with a porsche...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on race with a porsche... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; last saturday, after i left a subaru meet here in NY, i was on my way to the wineries in ...

Angry race with a porsche...

last saturday, after i left a subaru meet here in NY, i was on my way to the wineries in LI. i have 3 other people in my car. as i get to like exit 67 or so on the LIE, i see a car weaving in and outta traffic. *mind you, i was travelling at a brisk 80 mph. anywaze, it gets behind me. a white porsche carrera. he pulls over to my right then guns it. my passengers are already scared $h|tless cuz they knew. so i downshift to try to catch up but... my rpms soar to like 6K before i let go of the throttle. i look down and i've thrown it into 2nd!!! Argghhhhhhh!! i've never done anything as stupid as that in my life. from there until we got to the wineries, i went 60
    needless to say, my friends ranked on me ALL day. these are the same friends that i make fun of cuz i always whoop their arses
    oh wellz...i make a promise to everyone here!! NEVER WILL THIS HAPPEN AGAIN!

-ps- honestly thinking, i probably would've lost but i dun care about losing...it's the thrill of the race.
    *sigh*
    '02 Silver WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ya thats an ooops..

Better not let it happen again

Joking of course hehe

But if you would have been alone, you might have had a good chance actually!

Re: race with a porsche...

Originally posted by ezekiel044
    my rpms soar to like 6K before i let go of the throttle. i look down and i've thrown it into 2nd!!!
    *sigh*
    what is wrong with that, looks like you put it in the right gear. Dont forget to "blib" your throttle to match engine speed before engaging in a lower gear. From 5th to 2nd is okay as long as you are not going over 7000-7200 rpm. hmmm did you say you were running 80 then shoved it into 2nd? that would put way above the redline then.

Did you feel guilty for beating up on your baby?

about 80 in second? that's not too good...that's why i stopped it.
    exactly my point... i hurt her that day...that's why i went 60 all the way to the wineries.
    '02 Silver WRX

i did the same thing....

i did the exact same thing and felt really bad as well. i drove slow for the next 2 days haha.

ya and i swore myself to never do that again (race on freeways) for my new years' resolutoin. although i added to it. "i wont race on the freeways again until i get exhaust or my car is lowered"

heh heh
    free food is the best food

Don't feel to bad from 80 that Porche would have killed you.

This is why you should always shift from 5th to 3rd for a race.

PlatinumWRX.. Do you really think a nearly stock WRX can hang with a Porche from 80? THey are 300 pounds lighter and have nearly 100 more hp stock for stock.

MGF,

No way, the Porsche would've spanked him. As I've said before, my next car is either a Porsche or a Pickup. 911's are awesome. Light, aerodynamic, and powerful is a mean combination.

-Jim

i know i would've gotten spanked but *shrug* why not? cars like that are wut i need to start modding more and more and more...like i said befoer, i dun care about losing
    '02 Silver WRX

I think If I had an unlimited budget I'd go for one of those Hennesey (however its spelled) vipers with the like 880 Hp... I think sub 3 second 0-60 would be pretty cool... lol

dw1

WRX & 911 - perfect together

Folks - I also own a 911 (note the pic to the left, which is only there until I get a good "family shot" of my 4 & 6 cyl boxers together).

Yes, 911's are awesome, and the rear weight bias really helps acceleration as it's actually difficult to get wheelspin, BUT....

When the '09 wrx comes on boost, it's really quite even.

It's amazing how similar they are in some ways. They both require some skill to launch properly, and both come alive at about 3k.

Yes, the 911 has a slight bit more top end speed, but damn the wrx is just as quick to anything near legal speeds.

Btw, the 911 is a naturally aspirated 5 speed (G50 trans) Carrera 3.2 liter, modded with a chip (significant mid-range improvement), euro pre-muffler (in place of the cat), and a low-restriction dual-out exhaust (loud!).

And the wrx is not an sti, but a 5 door premium.

Yes, I'll get some some "side-by-side" numbers. Right now my guess is that the subie is even or slightly faster to 60-70, but very dependent on launch rpm, and the 911 is faster in the 1/4 with a slightly higher trap speed.

In the handling department, the wrx 5-door really needs to be tightened up to keep up in the twisties. I know they tightened it up between '08 & '09, but it's still nothing like the older ones. That just means koni's are in my future plans. Even then, at anything less than 9/10'ths, I think the 911 will still beat the 5-door wrx, assuming the 911 is driven with at least some skill. At the limit - well, unless you are on a track, you don't want to drive a 911 through curves at 9/10ths or 10/10ths. The 911 is also a naturally aspirated motor, which gives it a throttle response advantage over a turbo motor, which shows up more during back road hijinks.

Damn I do love high-perf boxer motors.
    Last edited by dw1; 09-24-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    Cogito, ergo doleo
    -----------------
    10 cyl of boxer motors

No biggie you didn't hurt your car much if any at all.

To make you feel better I've done worse.

I went from 2nd to 3rd just fine. I tried to shift from 3rd to 4th as fast as possible but instead missed 4th and went to 2nd. my tach pegs way past redline. I decided to call it a night after that.

10k miles later... it's still runnin :P
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    this thread is 6 years old

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

dw1
    Yeah, I noticed the thread was quite old, but as the topic already existed, I decided to add to it rather than starting a new one.

I just thought some details on how the newer WRX's compare to a classic performance car was interesting.
    Cogito, ergo doleo
    -----------------
    10 cyl of boxer motors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.