02 WRX vs VW Golf Turboed
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 WRX vs VW Golf Turboed within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was at the store gettin gas and beer afer a long day of tryin to figure out the weird ...

02 WRX vs VW Golf Turboed

I was at the store gettin gas and beer afer a long day of tryin to figure out the weird noise was comin for my car. So I am inside gettin my stuff and this guy asked if that was my WRX. He told me he seen my car and my bro's 94 325i parked at my house all the time. He asked me whos car was quicker. I said mine was and then he asked to race me on this make shift track they got on a highway strip that is hardly used. I first said no cause my mechanic said not to run her hard until I figured what the noise was comin from. He said he had a VW Golf and kept eggin on sayin "come on you got a WRX". He then told me it wasn't a VR6.I finally said ok lets go for it. i get outside and see his big front mount Intercooler. Before I saw the Intercooler and turbo decal on the back.He said all he had was an exhaust and intake done to his car. So I thought easy kill, but somethin seemed fishy.
    So we begin and he tells me to go since there were no lights. I gun it and I see that I am leavin him behind by 3-4 cars at start when I first looked back. the crasy thing is that midway into third gear he is next to me and then leavin me behind. I felt like I was crawlin in my WRX and he was runnin. I am not a sore loser but I don't think I was supposed to get dogged like that. He had me by 4 car lengths before shuttin down. I don't know WTF to think about that one but I still keep my head up with pride.
    http://images.cardomain.com/installs.../159812_19.jpg02 Plat Sil WRX Sdn,5 spd 13.38@101mph at 4400ft.
    17" Velox VX6r's w/Falken ZE512 and stockers, IHI VF30,TXS Uppipe,3in Custom dpipe & xaust w/HKS Muffler,Injen CAI. TXS 2 Stage BC, HKS Fuel Cut Def,CF Hood, Frnt strut bar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

See, ya stop and TALK to folks like that after the race. Find out what in the hell makes em so fast. If I run someone, get hosed, I try my darndest to have a chat with em afterwards. Also shows good gamesmanship, and leaves em with the thought that WRX owners are nice folks. I lost BADLY too a fella in a notch-back 5.0, I mean it was ugly. I finally caught up too him and motioned that I'd like to talk. He pulled over, we chatted, now I have someone that will wave and piddle around when we meet up on the roads(he apparently lives somewhere near me). Twas a blown 5.0, I don't think he was trying to hard when he hammered me either, scary fast car.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

can you say NOSSSSSS, the beauty of street racing "you never know what your going to get".
    autobots transform

I figured NOSSS. I tried to find him later but couldn't so I could talk to him cause I wanted to know for sure what he had. maybe that is why he told me to go first cause I heard you can see white smoke from NOS when they spray. OH well. I will try to find out later and see whats he got and post it later cause I know he lives near me. Bein he knows where I live and all and knew my bro had a BMW 325 also. I am pretty sure he will tell me now that we already raced if he is cool with it. Most people around here lie, but I tell them straight up what I got. I got nothin to hide and they ALREADY KNOW WHAT THE WRX CAN DO!
    http://images.cardomain.com/installs.../159812_19.jpg02 Plat Sil WRX Sdn,5 spd 13.38@101mph at 4400ft.
    17" Velox VX6r's w/Falken ZE512 and stockers, IHI VF30,TXS Uppipe,3in Custom dpipe & xaust w/HKS Muffler,Injen CAI. TXS 2 Stage BC, HKS Fuel Cut Def,CF Hood, Frnt strut bar.

It's called APR Stage III 302 HP to the wheels... but runs $3999.
    not including the labbor.. It has a bigger turbo so they are slow off the line... big turbo lag... Some people will add nos just to use when the turbo is in lag... Had that been the case he would have never got that far behind...

but by the way you described it.. I doubt he had nos.. just big time turbo lag...

With a stage III guys are running mid 12's no problem.. except for the clutches go really quick and an after market is need...

I wonder if it was a 2.0 turbo conversion or the 1.8T? Find out when you talk to him.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

tan
    Originally posted by whodeani
    It's called APR Stage III 302 HP to the wheels... but runs $3999.
    not including the labbor.. It has a bigger turbo so they are slow off the line... big turbo lag... Some people will add nos just to use when the turbo is in lag... Had that been the case he would have never got that far behind...

but by the way you described it.. I doubt he had nos.. just big time turbo lag...

With a stage III guys are running mid 12's no problem.. except for the clutches go really quick and an after market is need...
    KKK04 turbo....imagine using the RS4 spec KKK04?

The APR chip I heard is pretty cool....multiple boost modes, at the mercy of a switch, and add on modules...

I also got smoked by a apr stage 3 gti.

Similar mods as yours.

I would gun it off the line and by the top of 2nd gear he would catch up and pass me with ease.

And your comment about the white smoke is only if they have a purge valve from the nitrous I believe.

Well i finally got to talk to the guy. he said he had a similar set up as the stage 3. He bought the car off some guy who was runnin low 12's with it. he was cool to show me what he had. He said he had around 320-330 hp on pump gas. But after uppin boost to 26psi and race fuel he had around 400. he used to have a 2000 RS before the Golf. he misses AWD too. He noticed I was pullin away and he said he had major turbo lagg from start. He knew I was thinkin he had NOS. but he showed me he had none.

mmmm.........maybe i should convince my girlfriend to get that on her GTI.

I had a feeling it was a stage III... I think APR is the only one... ATP just came out with a stage III but they are still working out all the bugs.. So I would say APR is the one... with a exhust I could see it being 320 hp to the wheels...

Well don't feel bad.. at least it was a beefed up GTI... and not a stock GTI. But we all know that would never happen with a stock GTI.

Thumbs up

Nice loss. I like how just about everyone here is mature about things like this.

And no worries, most of us 1.8T owners know how they fair against the WRX, stock vs. stock.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

I've got $50 that that GTi that beat you is BillyT's Dub. He was running ridiculous times in his 1.8t.

From the little I know about it he had a Stage III w/ so many more mods listing them wouldn't be worth the typing

But don't feel badly, you got beaten by the fastest 1.8Turbo on the planet!!! So no hard feelings. Our cars are fast, but his was something else. It lives in TX now, El Paso i think? he had 320 hp w/ pump gas with 400 hp with race and a couple more psi, turbo badge on the back...sound like him. 4door? what color was it?

Just thought i'd add my .02...have a great day

EDIT: No NOSSS as you guys call it. Most 1.8t owners find no use for NOS our turbo spool isn't significant at all.
    Last edited by BondJetta; 02-27-2003 at 08:31 AM.

It does sound like the same car to me. Only Turbo emblem on back. the guy I raced bought it the way it is now. The car is 4dr and silver in color. The new owner had the windows tinted last week if that helps. thanks for the info

Not a problem, glad to help

I know what it's like to lose the races u expect to win and i've been smoked by a few cars that i just raced to race (viper, corvette, 89 'stang 5.0) but it's all in fun

One time I tried to race an '03 330ci and should have stomped his head in, but my ASR (VW's version of traction control) went off and took ALL of my torque away. Oh well, made his day at least

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.