gti 337 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on gti 337 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by MazSpeedPro I agree with you about the 337 being a fine car. However, I dont know about ...

Originally posted by MazSpeedPro
    I agree with you about the 337 being a fine car.
    However, I dont know about the tossable factor. LOL
    You drive a MSP through some twisties, and a 337 after that, then let me know how you feel.

I really dont like fwd for ultimate handling/performance characteristics. Either awd or rwd suits me far better. I would bet on the MSP over the 337 for sure on handling though. I have always been a big Mazda fan ( have owned 3 rx-7's ) They are a car company for enthusiasts thats for sure! Taking a very hard look at the RX-8 for a second car, cant wait until they get to the dealerships so I can check one out!
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

oh trust me, he has a 337. i remember when he first got it and started to show it off.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

One of the Ways to spot a 337 while it's moving is the exhust... While it's stopped the few iteams to tell are..

Seats, calipers, wheels, that is if they haven't changed them, so that is always an if'y..

But when you said he didn't have an exhust you must have mistaken yourself.. cause if that is true.. .that your whole story is all wrong.. or the guy is lying...

For one, 337's have tunned exhusts made of stainless steel free flowing muffler with a 3" tip, that is without a doubt noticable.. so if you followed him home you should have seen it looking you back in the eye. The 337's have the same exhust mufflers and tip as the Audi tt 180hp... It's identical!! same part # and all. So if you look behind the back of a Audi TT 180hp, you will se the same tip on the 337 along with the muffler.. Now tell me how you missed that? They are not hidden at all.

So maybe you didn't see what you thought you saw

Like some one who said above... pre 02" VW's had hidden exhust.. With that said I think you were mistaken..
    rear of a 337

Scroll down to the last picture on this page you'll see what the back of a 337 looks like...

But don't get me wrong the guy deserves to have is a$$ kicked...
    Last edited by whodeani; 02-21-2003 at 03:34 PM.

tan
    except we got the US spec GTI lights instead of Euro-Spec GTI lights in the back

One thing in the defense of the 337 handling.... the stock WRX has quite a bit of body roll and understear is heavy. the Stock gti is crap.... but VW got it right with the 337 its a bit harsh w/ the 40series tires and all but its pretty tight.
    VW 337

tan
    Also with the suspension, the Golf (GTI) has oil filled bushings, where as the 337 has rubber suspension bushings all-around.

i really wasnt paying attention to the exhaust. anyhow, it was silver, with just GTi in the back and in front it had, i think, GTi logo in the grill. anyhow, ive seen his car before. i know for sure its a 337. actually, when he first got it, a bulldozer smashed the front end, so it was in the shop for a good amount of time. i felt bad for him, but, now... im happy it did cuz he deserves it for being such a ****.

anyhow, anyone whos trying to tell me that it isnt a 337, well, stop. i know for a fact it is.

peter
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Originally posted by smokey
    Well, you make some good points, I have to give you that. But I've been driving FWD cars my whole life, so I guess I'm not missing anything (relatively speaking)...I don't AuotX either btw, so the ill-effects of FWD, well, I don't see them on a regular basis. I am extremely comfortable with the handling characteristics.
    You don't have to AutoX to tell the difference - its apparent in everyday somewhat aggressive driving. I guess I'm just obsessed with cars and driving in general that it skews my priorities a bit when I'm buying. Having owned a number of FWD and RWD vehicles, it's hard for me to imagine going back to FWD again (or maybe even RWD, now that I've had a taste of my first AWD car ).

I can understand your purchase - you can see where Honda put their money in the RSX-S - better interior materials/design, better paint, 6-speed, and better options (Bose, moonroof,etc). Quality is fantastic. Not a bad decision at all, just for someone of us, its driving the wrong wheels!

Originally posted by whodeani
    quote. "vw gti 337 1.8t
    mods... well nothing too drastic, just a few bolt ons, prolly a bc. no aftermarket turbo. i didnt even see an exhaust, prolly had stock still." End Quote

I doubt the car was a 337... only reason I say that is because you said he had no exhust... No 337 owener would do that cause they have a special cut rear valence that allows the exhust to protrude through...

But I agree even if it was a 337 there is no way in hell he is running a 13.4 Not even with the best chip on the marker, turbo back, and a 3" DP... he would need a few more to do such damage..
    13.4 would be pushing it
    A 13.8 would be right on target with exhaust, APR 100 octane, race N75 valve, and a drop in K&N running in decent air.
    This is close to what I am running (yes i ditched the POS stock 337 exhaust) and I ran a 13.83 CORRECTED 3 weeks ago. The air sucked, was >5000 DA .... then again, it always sucks up here
    A 337 outfitted the same should be right there at HRP, Atlanta, River City Raceway, or Pomona.
    <B>LubbDub</B>
    '02 VW Golf GTi 337: APR stock/93/100, Prothane MM bushings, K&N, ASR default off, APR DP/Cat w/ Custom CatBack

My buddy Has Turbo Back ( DP and exhust ) 93 and 100 octane program from APR, N75 valve, intake, BOV and he is hitting 14.1

If you have a Turbo back ( including a DP) then I could see those numbers... but with out a DP on street tires.. the bast that i've heard of is 14.1 to 13.9... so 13.8 is possible... But I would put my pink slip out on the line that with stock tires 13. 4 is not possible.

LubbDubb,

I have been curious about something. Is there a different correction factor for turbo vs. N/A cars? I would assume that a turbo car would have a lower percentage power loss than a N/A car.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

I have often wondered the same thing..... It would seem to reason that a force inducted car would be affected less but all the professionals I have ask either say it doesn't matter or correction factors dont matter anyway.

I am hopinh to get to HRP sometime this year and see what me car does there.
    <B>LubbDub</B>
    '02 VW Golf GTi 337: APR stock/93/100, Prothane MM bushings, K&N, ASR default off, APR DP/Cat w/ Custom CatBack

I luv my 337 but no way would he have beat you in a 1/4 mile!!! stock its a low 15's car! APR, REVO, or GIAC chip its a mis to low 14's car.....

but in the corners stock for stock I'd take the 337

VW 337

Im happy.
    2003 GTI ,Ko4,Revo 4 bar,Bar 4 fpr

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234