gti 337 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on gti 337 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Rick Schu I can understand the value of say a 1.8T, which you can pick up for ...

Originally posted by Rick Schu
    I can understand the value of say a 1.8T, which you can pick up for as little as $18K, but if you can afford WRX territory (~$23K) and you value overall driving enjoyment over a nice interior/luxury I can't imagine spending those same bucks on a 337 (when it was available) or a say an RSX Type S.

This is great. You all would be *****ing like crazy if the WRX was as popular as the Jetta's, Eclipse's, etc... You like the fact that hardly anyone knows anythign about your car and you're proud that you're one of the few...

How boring would it be if we all had the same cars? Or think about it this way: if the Honda crowd got into the WRX, think of how many riced out WRX's you'd see. You wouldn't be too happy I think...

If you'd like to know why the RSX-S was a better value to me, I'd be more than happy to talk. But that's a pretty broad statement since all you're doing is looking at it from a speed standpoint and nothing else. Oh well, to each his own. I'm sure you're happy with your $23,000 purchase as am I.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The 337 is a nice ride. I was #2 at my local dealership for a 337 last year (long time dubber here) but then I got a wild hair and test drove the WRX wagon and that was that.

The VW I can't wait to see in person (and at a light) is the R32.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

the r32 is a nice ride too, but it just doesnt quite impress me. i know that it will be doing low 6's 0-60 with quarter mile NO better than mid 14's. with that much hp, thats pretty pathetic. but whatever. unless anyone knows anything i dont know, those are the times ive seen/heard for r32's.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

oh, and for the money, id take an STi ANY day over the r32. the r32 should be a bit over 30k, for 2 or 3 extra k's, ull be adding about 60hp, and a just better car. but there really arent too many cars that can be compared to the NA sti that are sold in america for the same amount of $$$$.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

tan
    Keep in mind the factory estimates are generally pretty conservative. When the WRX came here, many owners have gotten better times than the factory estimate.

Will it touch the WRX in straight line, given the 0-60 & 0-100? 0-60, not. 0-100, don't know.

Originally posted by smokey
    If you'd like to know why the RSX-S was a better value to me, I'd be more than happy to talk. But that's a pretty broad statement since all you're doing is looking at it from a speed standpoint and nothing else. Oh well, to each his own. I'm sure you're happy with your $23,000 purchase as am I.
    I enjoy driving. It is that simple for me at least. What is important to me is the overall mechanical package and how it communicates to the driver - the driving experience. That is why I chose the WRX. From handling, braking, steering, acceleration, the WRX does everything well. It is not the absolute best in each of those categories, but it is good to excellent in each and nothing that I've looked at in this price range has the overall combination. FWD is a big compromise from my perspective. Too big, unless your willing to give up some of the driving experience for more luxury, visual appeal, or a better interior. I, for one, am not.

I Know someone who owns a 337, and loved it for about 2 days.
    He always complains about the body roll of the car, and the interior build quality. But then again, his last cars were a 3rd gen Rx-7 and a Type R.

the 337 is a fine car! I drove one but I have to say that it isnt close to the wrx in terms of what you get for your money. the upgraded susp/brakes/tires in my mind just bring the GTI up to what it should be as anyone who has driven a stock one can attest to( man what a mushy handling, rubbery car the stock GTI is! ). the 1.8T is a great engine with excellent potential but your still stuck with fwd which isnt my cup of tea for high performance.

The R32 looks to be big fun, but for the money it looks like they will cost I'd buy an EVO and a few little mods for best bang for the buck, Or build a monster WRX.

I love vw's, learned how to drive in one, owned a couple and back in the 80's I have to say the then current GTi was the most entertaining fwd drive car I had driven...very tossable little car.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

I agree with you about the 337 being a fine car.
    However, I dont know about the tossable factor. LOL
    You drive a MSP through some twisties, and a 337 after that, then let me know how you feel.
    -Stephanie-

Originally posted by MazSpeedPro
    I agree with you about the 337 being a fine car.
    However, I dont know about the tossable factor. LOL
    You drive a MSP through some twisties, and a 337 after that, then let me know how you feel.
    I haven't driven the MSP but have heard exceptional things about it's handling prowess. Along with it's suspension it also has an LSD, which to the best of my knowledge stands void in the 337.

My question is, why did VW build this "Speacial" car with the standard-fare 1.8T tiny, tiny, turbo and no LSD??

Positive things to say about the 337 is that it does look good, no doubt!
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Originally posted by GTI337
    Hmmm.... just a little defense from an actual 337 owner.
    Also, though my GTI is front drive with a beam rear axle (and as of yet, no chip) I beat all FOUR WRX's that attended the last Utah autocross.

Congrats on your leading the WRX's but the reality of it is - that the OEM 1.8T turbo is EXTREMELY small and MUCH better suited for autocrossing. When I was running the stock turbo set up, I was running much better than I do now. The extra spool up (though it's not much at all) can really be felt on an auto-x course, especially when you're talking .1/.01/.001 differences.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

quote. "vw gti 337 1.8t
    mods... well nothing too drastic, just a few bolt ons, prolly a bc. no aftermarket turbo. i didnt even see an exhaust, prolly had stock still." End Quote

I doubt the car was a 337... only reason I say that is because you said he had no exhust... No 337 owener would do that cause they have a special cut rear valence that allows the exhust to protrude through...

But I agree even if it was a 337 there is no way in hell he is running a 13.4 Not even with the best chip on the marker, turbo back, and a 3" DP... he would need a few more to do such damage..

Last edited by whodeani; 02-20-2003 at 07:24 PM.

Friend has a 337, I think it is a very nice ride. Like all VW's, they have a luxury minded interior. The wheels are also a nice touch to the already comprehensive package. Btw, my friend got his for MSRP.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

tan
    Originally posted by whodeani
    quote. "vw gti 337 1.8t
    mods... well nothing too drastic, just a few bolt ons, prolly a bc. no aftermarket turbo. i didnt even see an exhaust, prolly had stock still." End Quote

I doubt the car was a 337... only reason I say that is because you said he had no exhust... No 337 owener would do that cause they have a special cut rear valence that allows the exhust to protrude through...

But I agree even if it was a 337 there is no way in hell he is running a 13.4 Not even with the best chip on the marker, turbo back, and a 3" DP... he would need a few more to do such damage..

Late 02 1.8T and VR6 and 03's 1.8T and VR6 has exhaust cutouts

Originally posted by Rick Schu
    I enjoy driving. It is that simple for me at least. What is important to me is the overall mechanical package and how it communicates to the driver - the driving experience. That is why I chose the WRX. From handling, braking, steering, acceleration, the WRX does everything well. It is not the absolute best in each of those categories, but it is good to excellent in each and nothing that I've looked at in this price range has the overall combination. FWD is a big compromise from my perspective. Too big, unless your willing to give up some of the driving experience for more luxury, visual appeal, or a better interior. I, for one, am not.
    Well, you make some good points, I have to give you that. But I've been driving FWD cars my whole life, so I guess I'm not missing anything (relatively speaking).

I got this car for a number of reasons which I won't go into...but one of the main ones was reliability. I'm not saying Subbies aren't reliable. I KNOW they are reliable. But I've never owned one. My family has owned 4 Honda's/Acura's and we've never had a single problem, ever. That makes me feel great about my purchase. shoot, my bro's got a '92 Accord w/ 160,000 miles and we haven't even had to replace the clutch yet!

Plus, I drive my car for work related purposes - I've already put 14,000 miles on it in about 7 months. I am very, very comfortable with my purchase.

I don't AuotX either btw, so the ill-effects of FWD, well, I don't see them on a regular basis. I am extremely comfortable with the handling characteristics.

I guess for $23,000, something's going to be lacking. The WRX is missing some aestetic things that I could care less about (sun roof, who cares???) and I thought it looked pretty good overall. I just needed to get out of a lease with Acura and they wanted to talk if I wanted the RSX-S so it was a very easy decision for me.

In the future, would I look at getting a WRX? You bet your ass I would. I wouldn't mind looking for a used one in about 3 years to be honest with you.

But like I said, how boring would it be if everyone had WRX's? Think about it, us RSX-S'ers give you an opportunity to blast some Honda ass on a daily basis
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.