gti 337 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on gti 337 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by 2001S4 God I am getting sick of that term. What on that car would you consider "rice"? ...

Originally posted by 2001S4
    God I am getting sick of that term. What on that car would you consider "rice"? The lower stance? The nice 18 inch wheels? I didn't know enhancing the looks of a car means it is riced out. I guess the Harley Davidson f150 is riced out too? You know, that wheel package on the WRX must be rice too? Alright, I'll pass the word. From now one, ONLY buy the ordinary looking options on a car when you purchase it.
    Rice = All Show No Go
    There's a whole bunch of crap like that on the 337.
    It's nowhere near the Rice King (Lancer OZ Rally) but it's close.
    Too bad you don't get a real motor for all that extra money.
    Cheers.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yeah that real 1.8 is a real trashcan, huh? 40hp/50tq increase from a chip...bulletproof bottom end from factory, amazing ability to hold power mods....

real trash there buddy

Ya know I studied Mechanical engineering for 7 years and we never had a unit called "tq".

My point is that the 337 cost more than the standard version and didn't have a better motor. Instead they spent all the extra money on primarily cosmetic stuff.

VWs are ass anyways, who cares.

Originally posted by silverscooby
    I wish our build quality was up to par with Volkswagon or Audi, I love the feel of them when inside. I think once they bring the AWD version over a lot of people will be suprised.
    Their interiors are a definite step up from ours, but I'll take Subaru build quality over VW any day. Clutch shudder, cracked windshield, and chipped paint is better than coil pack, window regulator, and MAF problems.

The R32 is badass though.

Hmmm.... just a little defense from an actual 337 owner.

First, the car is anything but a "riced" GTI. Try a six speed Audi TT tranny, different springs/shocks/rear bushings, 12.3/10" vented front/rear brakes, Recaros that make the new EVO seats feel like they are out of a Buick, no sunroof for weight savings, 18x7.5" BBS RC's on Pilot Sports, unique rear exhaust, etc., etc.

Hardly "rice" mods. Now agreed, the motor makes the same 180 hp as a standard GTI, but I have uprated brakes/tranny/suspension. Hardly "all show" stuff.

I have a lot of respect for the performance potential of the WRX, so I'm not sure why the WRX crowd seems to be interested in bagging on VW's...

Also, though my GTI is front drive with a beam rear axle (and as of yet, no chip) I beat all FOUR WRX's that attended the last Utah autocross.

Take it easy.

Eric
    GTI 337
    ## OEM Euro VW ## Audi TT ## H&R ## EVO ## Neuspeed ## Pizzy ## BBS ## Philips ## OEM TDI ## OEM W8

GTI 337

being a 337 owner I'd have to agree/disagree.....

The WRX is Superior to the 337 in performance YES!!!!
    no 337 stock 337 is gonna beat a WRX

a Chipped 337 w/ a few bolt ons (~230 HP) could beat a stock wrx I believe not do to the fact of increased Hp but the 337 is lighter also.

I came very close to buying a WRX believe me I dig the car! BUT

the 337 was ~approx the same price with more to offer and not just looks

1.)18" BBS (while nice) have 40series Michelin Pilots! (sticky rubber

2.)Actual Sport suspension sits 1" lower than the normal GTI sport suspension

3.)312mm front 256mm rear brakes BIG!

4.)cat back exhaust (slighty larger dia pipe and muffler)

5.)VR6 Clutch w/ 6spd trans (droooool)

(side note the VR6 is much less tunable than the 1.8t its a big debate amongst the VW's but I'd say they are quite close once mods start)

many other things too but they are just for looks ground effects, recaros ect..... all for 22K

This guy who wanted to race (vw owner) is a moron I mean I'm sure there are a few Scooby owners out there that you guys are ashamed to be associated with???? just drive it like you stole it and enjoy
    Last edited by PROTIJY; 02-19-2003 at 03:41 PM.
    VW 337

Oh, and weight: 337 factory spec is 2857 lbs. I know that's at least a couple hundred lighter than a stock WRX.

Eric
    GTI 337
    ## OEM Euro VW ## Audi TT ## H&R ## EVO ## Neuspeed ## Pizzy ## BBS ## Philips ## OEM TDI ## OEM W8

no way is that car rice

it's stupid statements like that that cause $hitfights

so by the logic used to call that car rice my STi must be rice because

It has
    better suspension
    massive brembo 6 pot front 4 pot rear
    6 speed trans
    VF35 turbo
    etc etc

oh and little pink stickers

First, the 2 cars I chose between happened to be the WRX and the GTi, love them both.

2nd, a chipped 337 with bolt ons will take a stock WRX ... but not one with a boost controller. (been there, done both )

3rd, hmmm, no third ... most of the WRX guys that posted had thoughtful, truthful responses, and even stated the 337's strengths. Thanks guys, dont see that very often on car forums.
    we all have our idiots, like the genuis below that doesn't think brakes, suspension, and weight are performance issues after 7(not 4, or even 5?) years of studying ME
    Originally posted by FUNKED1
    337 is just a riced out 1.8T. No performance increase.

Ya know I studied Mechanical engineering for 7 years and we never had a unit called "tq".

My point is that the 337 cost more than the standard version and didn't have a better motor. Instead they spent all the extra money on primarily cosmetic stuff.

VWs are ass anyways, who cares.
    I also dont think anyone mentioned this... the price difference was negligible (just paid MSRP instead of 400-500 over invoice)

Anyways, keep it real guys, take care of those nice azz cars and drive it like you stole it!!!!
    Last edited by LubbDub; 02-19-2003 at 05:50 PM.
    <B>LubbDub</B>
    '02 VW Golf GTi 337: APR stock/93/100, Prothane MM bushings, K&N, ASR default off, APR DP/Cat w/ Custom CatBack

well, guys, just so everyone knows, i really really dig the 337. real sweat and one of a kind. from a power point of view, just cant compete stock for stock with a wrx, well, other then interior looks, but were talking about vw here . anyhow, yes, ive met a few wrx owners that id love to ()*@#$( strangle the ()@#*$(out of them and take their car away cuz they dont deserve them, but hey, what can we do. the majority of us are nice people, and actually, i met another guy that had a 337. the guy looked like a bum, well... kinda(i think he got off work or something and just wore anything he could find when he got home before he came out), but he was really into my wrx one night at a mcdonalds. he was a real nice guy, and i asked him what he drove, and hes like, oh i just bought that 337. hehe. he showed me it too, and it looked quite nice interior/exterior.

anyhow, this guy with the 337 doesnt deserve it, because he is a complete *******. i can see someone buying a 337, and just keeping their mouth shut and living life without instigate stuff, but no... this guy just had to open up his mouth and look like a complete jackass. anyhow... thats all.

peter
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

OK I have been 0wned. I didn't realize it actually had some performance stuff on it. Sorry.
    I still hate VWs.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

I still hate VWs.
    Fair enough, I still love WRXs and VWs and Porsches and BMWs and Triumphs
    <B>LubbDub</B>
    '02 VW Golf GTi 337: APR stock/93/100, Prothane MM bushings, K&N, ASR default off, APR DP/Cat w/ Custom CatBack

I like GTIs but FWD is lame for enthusiasts. Yes they can be made fast and modified to handle well, but the whole driving experience sucks (read: Torque steer). I can understand the value of say a 1.8T, which you can pick up for as little as $18K, but if you can afford WRX territory (~$23K) and you value overall driving enjoyment over a nice interior/luxury I can't imagine spending those same bucks on a 337 (when it was available) or a say an RSX Type S.

I wouldn't even consider a WRX if it wasn't available in AWD (or at least RWD )

One way to look at the 337 is this:

All the visual mods most enthusiasts want, with some pretty slick suspension and brake mods...from the factory WITH THE WARRANTY. Just removes a step really.

Sweet little hot-hatch, always liked the dynamic ride the GTi's offered. Eclectic, funky cars, always turn my head when I see em in traffic. Same kinda thing as with the Cooper S, just a neat ride.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

anything you have to do to avoid the point is fine, my friend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.