WRX vs Supra ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs Supra ? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sorry to digress a little here... Hey God, just out of curiosity, since I'm definitely no mechanic or anything remotely ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry to digress a little here...

Hey God, just out of curiosity, since I'm definitely no mechanic or anything remotely close to that...how reliable are tranny swaps like that? I've been thinking about converting my auto to a manual since I saw your complete STi 6-speed kit that you have for sale...but would swapping it out be as reliable (if done correctly of course) as just getting a new STi with a manual?
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Dan is HKS's new box syncros or dogbox or semi? Forged steel construction?

Sorry for the late reply, I have been really busy lately. Anyway, I believe the fastest WRX is here in Australia and belongs to the workshop which tuned my car, Rigoli's white Rex.
    Quarter Mile: 10.01 @ 145mph.
    This car is driven on the street (although not that often, maybe two or three times a month)
    My car which is driven nearly everyday (about 4 days a week) does the quarter in 10.4 sec @ 134mph.
    Not bagging Supra's or anything, but I have lined up quite a few here down under, and a couple have been severly quick (low 10's or high 9's!!) and on the road I have blown them out the water. (ok, maybe not 'blown' them, but beaten them by a good distance, hehe) On the raod, with street tyres, they cannot hold together (from what I've seen) 1st, 2nd and 3rd, they cannot hold it flat to the floor or else they are all over the place. With slicks, a different story.
    On a different note, whoever thinks a Rex cannot be reliable while generating huge power outputs are sorely mistaken. My Rex, along with numerous other high output Rex's, are lasting quite a long time. I've had mine at this level of performance for almost 2 years, and nothing has gone wrong (except when I stripped 2nd gear, but that was because of driver error).
    Of course, this is with a tough upgraded drivline, but suspension wise, my car has only lowered springs and set of new shocks, thats it!
    Anyway, I better stop blabbering, cheers.

Have you lined up against any serious skylines?

God
    Originally posted by Verdugo
    Sorry to digress a little here...

Hey God, just out of curiosity, since I'm definitely no mechanic or anything remotely close to that...how reliable are tranny swaps like that? I've been thinking about converting my auto to a manual since I saw your complete STi 6-speed kit that you have for sale...but would swapping it out be as reliable (if done correctly of course) as just getting a new STi with a manual?
    As with anything else, it is all due to whomever installs the piece. As for the HKS gearbox I have few details about it. If anyone can read Japanese I have a few articles on it with pictures. Pretty sweet looking. It is probably synchro if I know HKS.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Originally posted by Wrex4Life
    Of course, this is with a tough upgraded drivline

So what do you have done to your drivetrain???? Are you running a dogbox on the street??

MY WRX, is pretty much stock because people are blowing their trannys stock.. I don't even race mine...

I feel a little cheated with the tranny being such a peice of junk...

-Zach

Yes, Wrex4Life has a dogbox. Do a search for his posts and you'll stumble across his list of mods. It's crazy stuff! Very impressive.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Very impressive, but i would not want to run a dogbox on the street..

-Zach

Extreme Motorsports-

Sean Glazers' AWD Talon- runs 8.878 @ 153.35mph
    Brent Rau's GSX AT- runs 9.188 @ 152.51mph

Thats with stock tranny and drivetrain and the factory unibody.
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

Thats cool.. to bad the WRX wouldn't hold up to that..

That is really impressive.. I thought the GSX could only do a 11 before blowing up the drivetrain...

-Zach

I didnt say that the drivetrain ran that more than once.

As far as I know, they change the tranny out after every run...but they are indeed stock. They rebuild them and run 'em again. Now the rest of the system stays intact I believe.....

I cant say the stock WRX tranny is any better or worse than the DSMs are. All I know is that for every story I have heard of a tranny blowing up....theres a guy running 12s with no problems.

Nathan on I-club (nmyeti) has ran a 12.3 on the stock clutch/tranny/tires. Since he has replaced the clutch, but no tranny problems. Sure if you slam gears, your gonna break something....thats true with ANY car. Perhaps his car is capable of 11s if one of those tranny breaking drivers drove it....but how many passes would they get?

Basically I think it all comes back to the driver.....and how you drive your car............flame on.

dug
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

flame on?? Sorry didn't think i was flaming..

-Zach

In b/w the olsens... Nork, NuJersE (Newark, NJ)

Question Just reading info from one of the first posts...

WHy would a single turbo (on a supra) be better and produce more power than a twin turbo? Are the Supra twins turbo to tubo or one turbo for every 3 cylinders (I can't remember which one is sequential; I think it's the 1t/3cyl but I didn't want to sound like an idiot)?

Also while I'm at this what the difference of a 'twin turbo' and a 'bi-turbo'? Is it the difference I just asked about?

I'm a bit new to the terminology of Forced Induction, until now I only cared about naturally aspired.
    2002 Black WRX
    stock throughout-
    because my warranty says so.

- NJ isn't just a state, it's a state of mind.
    - Being from JersE makes us different from other people, it makes us better than YOU... [*HURHM* sound]

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Supras are Twin turbos.. At least the new ones are... They give you a better power band, but they are complex systems. And a large single turbo will produce alot more power then the twin turbo setup on a supra...

This goes for any twin turbo car.. A twin setup also generates alot more heat...

-Zach

the stock twin turbos are small and can't create enough boost at high rpms. A lot of single turbo conversion supras suffers major turbo lag from launch. With those cars, you always see the supra lagging behind 3-4 car length for the first 50-100 feet. And blows by the other car around 1/8 mile mark.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast