WRX vs Supra ? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs Supra ? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 20bs- otherwise known as Triple Rotaries.....AWESOME!! RX-7s have double rotaries....each displacing 654cc, triples have 3 displacing 654cc...therefore triple total displacement ...

20bs- otherwise known as Triple Rotaries.....AWESOME!!

RX-7s have double rotaries....each displacing 654cc, triples have 3 displacing 654cc...therefore triple total displacement as 2.0 (1962cc) as zyounker said.
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    My buddies at Garage SPL have a few Skylines imported via Motorex and a couple Supras too...one is a standard TT but the other is a single turbo conversion that puts out about 960 hp at the crank...good god! Although the Skylines make the Supras look like child's play (IMHO, and only because Skylines are so rare here in the states), performace-wise, the Supras still kill the Skylines that are pretty much still stock (at this point in time).

Then again, the Supra above also needs to be kept above 7000 rpm in first gear or else it stalls...so there's your trade-off right there
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Um, if it wouldn't idle below 7K something must have been seriously wrong with the supra.. There are quite a few 800RWHP supras in the US on the street.. They get most of their power from a large single turbo.. Of course they don't have gobs of power until like 6K.

They should have no trouble idling..

-Zach

The reason why Supras are so easy to modify is because they are reliable. You don't have to change ANY stock internals to make it run between 12-13 quarters. 300z TT and 3000GT VR-4 can do that just as easily, but their parts don't hold up that long... and hence a lot more expensive.
    Stock vs Stock, wrx has no chance against a Supra TT. Unless the race is like 1/10 mile long or something..

The 2JZ GTE and the RB Engines are very similar in design and Build philosophy. Both are way overbuilt in stock for and both have internals that car really stand up to abuse. One of the factors in that fact that they are Inline sixes which are naturally balanced.

Too bad we only get 1 of those in the US.

Now the Boxer has natural balancing as well. Too bad the current tranny is not built up to the Supra's and Skylines standards. With the weight savings over those two, it would be a true world class Exotic car Killer.

The WRX could be very fast.. but you have to dump the AWD system.. There are no really fast AWD cars out there..

When you can pull a 1.3 60 foot with RWD & slicks, AWD would be to heavy & not be able to stand up to the abuse to pull the same time..

-Zach

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well, I wouldn't quite say there's no really fast AWD cars out there. A Nissan Skyline is technically AWD, even if it's primarily RWD until it starts losing traction. Porsche 911 Turbos are also AWD, as well as the new Lamborghini. And of course, let's not forget our very own Wrex4Life's monster WRX in Australia
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

Originally posted by Verdugo
    Well, I wouldn't quite say there's no really fast AWD cars out there. A Nissan Skyline is technically AWD, even if it's primarily RWD until it starts losing traction. Porsche 911 Turbos are also AWD, as well as the new Lamborghini. And of course, let's not forget our very own Wrex4Life's monster WRX in Australia
    Beat me to it.

Ok.. but how fast are any of those cars? are any faster then a 9???

10s are pretty common.. So are 9s now....

And Alot of AWD cars that are hitting 10s have pretty crappy 60 foots..

BTW i am a firm believer that the WRX is NOT a drag car, so this is just symantics

-Zach

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Good question...I have no idea! But given a Skyline's engine is just about as customizable and reliable as a Supra's, I wouldn't be surprised if there were Skylines out there that could do 9s or 10s.

You can ask Wrex4Life himself what his 1/4 mile time is Wrex4Life? Care to chime in here?

Yeah, but you need a very strong drivetrain to hold all of that power.. And everyone knows the stronger the drivetrain, the slower the car..

This is also one of the reasons the supra has tons of power but remains one of the slower 1/4 mile cars..Of course it is one of the most reliable too..

-Zach

The Skylines seem to be in the Mid 8's. I think there is one in the Sevens. This is from an HKS Website...

The picture is from Englishtown, NJ. Just after the HKS Skyline ran 8.637@156.84.

Pretty impresive... Do you know if it is still running the original drivetain?

-Zach

Acording to the website it is. Its running 1200 hp at the Crank, with only "Slight" internal mods.

There is also three others running 1300 at the crank. One one the fastest Import compitition on Aus. with a Sub 8, and the other two where in the low 8's on radials.
    (I just got this from seaching the web and finding the results for the competition, and yes there were 2 Supra's in there, as well as a Holden GTS)

God
    It probably runs HKS's new 6 speed transmission. No idea if available for the new WRX yet but it runs around $5000 or so. It is available for Skyline, Sylvia and EVO.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.