mustang gt's - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on mustang gt's within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What a lot of mustang drivers dont know is that you have to launch these things(2000+ mustangs) pretty high. I ...

What a lot of mustang drivers dont know is that you have to launch these things(2000+ mustangs) pretty high. I didn't know myself untill an article in muscle mustangs and fast fords. They had a 2000 mustang and could not get anything lower than 14.1XX. After playing with launch rpms they settled with 4000 rpm and feathering clutch(ouch!). They were able to run a 13.8XXX on stock mustang gt. Since then I have been lauching anywhere from 3500 to 4500 rpm. Big diff. and I only blew my clutch up once in a year(these thing need aftermarket clutches as soon as you buy one,if you race) I now consistently get the jump on camaros and hold them of for about 1/8 mile, from there it's all camaro tail lights(damn ls1). But launching like this I can stay within 1/2 car lenght of my "buddies" wrx> although he is far from the best driver, dude is scared of his own car.
    2000 mustang gt
    just an air filter

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The question depends a lot on the year of the Mustang GT. A stock WRX will cream any stock Fox-body Mustang GT right up to 1998. "Lightly modded" leaves a lot of wiggle room with the 5.0s since they could be made pretty damn fast without a whole lot of work.

If we're talking 99+ and manual trannys, like many folks say, it's a driver's race; though if the Mustang driver knows how to get consistently good launches, he'll post consistently lower ET's, esp. at a treated track. "Lightly modded" should probably put him out of your reach unless he spins his tires all day at the launch.
    -BP
    RallyCross: "Eating dirt is a basic motor skill."

Well here's something I actually know about...I've raced tons of Mustangs in my WRX since I have 3 of them and that's what all my friends have. Keep in mind my WRX is bone stock.
    '89 5.0 GT 5 spd. very minor mods: Raced up to 100 mph, beat it

My '90 5.0 LX (3.73 gears, full exhaust, auto w/ shift kit, cold air, etc) with my girl friend driving it: Beat it off the line but by 100 mph it was dead even

My '00 GT with my best friend driving(5 spd. K&N, x-pipe, flowmasters, short shifter, every suspension mod known to man): Beat it off the line but by 60mph he had passed me & kept going

My '66 fastback (i dropped in a 5.0 and converted it back to carburation but its still slow)...no contest, WRX was all over it

My friends '96 cobra (stock except for 4.11's)...same with the '00, beat him off the line but he passed me pretty good by 60mph

Some guy in a '95 GT 5 spd...probably stock except for flowmasters....beat it by a car length at 100 mph

And just for good measure, my WRX vs. my best friends WS6 trans am (his back tires are 315's)...this was embarrasing, I got my a$$ handed to me left and right

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.