Had a good run against a new Civic SI
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Had a good run against a new Civic SI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've got an 03 Sedan that's totally stock, but fully broken in. I ran a new silver SI (2.0ltr), we ...

Had a good run against a new Civic SI

I've got an 03 Sedan that's totally stock, but fully broken in. I ran a new silver SI (2.0ltr), we probably put out within 20hp to the wheels and he's 300lbs lighter. We were on the I5 going south and did a few 70-110 runs just following each other, the one time we opened up I was about 4 or so cars back and stuck in 4th at 75-80...not until 140+ did I pass about 2-3mph faster and still going. We did another longer run and while he would get an initial jump I could always start to reel things in within a few MPH. He was lowered and not sure if the exhaust was stock or not (I know they come from the factory with cool tips), but I could totally hear an intake when he got on it. It kinda looks like that new si could have made it to 150 given enough time. I basically out torqued him, otherwise it would have been much, much closer, and it wasnt easy to pass him.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Whoah!

Nice run...I've yet to drive a new Si, but they look fun. Certainly no match for a WRX at lower speeds, though.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Nor at highway speed!

I Support ClubWRX
    At least it was close...I mean, damn, I thought the Si would have displayed some whoopin' on the WRX's awful 4th and 5th gears! Now I know why you guys want the STi 6-speed so bad.

Just a digression here, but I was thinking a new Si with all the bolt-ons, suspension, and a Jackson Racing Supercharger would make a really mean road racing beast.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

The Si was pretty responsive on the highway, it's got a good power to weight ratio. On a stock WRX, the end of 3rd sucks after 6k rpm, but you have to hold till redline to get a good 4th gear pull. 4th is pretty good on a stock WRX, 5th REALLY sucks. I was hoping to pull away during 4th before I had to shift, but the Si kept going. On a slightly modded (BPU) WRX (like my old wagon) the gearing isnt so bad. If the stock power delivery wasnt so sluggish and so easy to get caught out of gear then you could make much better use of the 227 hp.

I'd rather save the weight against the 6 spd and will be changing my gearing in the OE 5sp once some of the pricing comes down. After having my old 6sp S4, I really prefer the shift pattern of a 5 with proper gearing (like BMW..5th=1:1...mmmmm =) and proper power.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

hmm, i didn't think it would be that close. I have an si and i was driving past a WRX on the freeway. No intention of racing or anthing like that but I could tell he wanted to prove a point. I was just amazed at how fast he pulled away from me as I tried to keep up. I wanted to give him a thumbs up but he would not let me get past. The moment I would get close, he would take off again. kind of a jackass that way.

Arrow ?????

there is one thing that i do not get here....why did you shift into 4th at 75?, maxium speed in 3rd is 95. that race shouldn't have even been close, cause once you hit 100 that civic will die down so much, and the fact that our 4th gear isn't that bad, you just have to know how to drive your car. i pull on my buddies Type-R in 4th gear, there is no way an 02 civic is gonna touch that. if i were racing an 02 civic i would just leave it in 5th, i once raced a 99 SI Dohc with intake exhaust and v-tec controller, left it in 5th floored it and im gone.... and im compeletly stock.
    Last edited by Brady6226; 02-06-2003 at 09:37 AM.
    sliver 03' RX

SI's are nothing great they are a second and a half slower in the 1/4 and they have terrible traction and they look like a odysee..looks aside you should have walked him hard even stock..
    320hp/306tq 20g Powah

4th gear = weak in a 5spd WRX

You should've dropped down to 3rd and stomped on it to 7krpm and you would've pulled several cars on 'em and then no need to go over 100mph.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Yeah I know I should have downshifted to third, but I was stuck in this situation. If I'm 80 and under I go to 3rd on the freeway. I'm also sure this Si wasnt stock.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

this reminds me of a time i raced a vtec del-sol

we slowed to about 55 and i dropped it down to 4th and he went down to 3rd i assume, then he floored it and i followed, the whole time we were pretty even, then he shifted to 4th around 85 and i just gained like 2 carlengths before we hit 100 and could have gotten much more but it got obvious how it was going
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

My main question is that you said your 03 sedan (which I have too) was completely stock... how did you hit 140+ then? They are governed at 130. ?????

wow, way to bring a thread back from the dead, lol.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

man, i totally thought this was about the 06 si until that last post.
    Trek mountain bike (with front AND rear suspension!)
    Zero skateboard

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    I started reading this and instantly knew something was wrong. Tegs was being too friendly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast