Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX vS IS300??

23K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  s0yb0mb 
#1 ·
what do you guys think?? I think it's waaaay possible. WRX has a faster 0-60 time. I know if i met this guy, and he finds out i have a WRX he'll be like..come on man...let's race. So yup..what do you guys think?

#28 ·
I own an IS300 and have driven wrx

The wrx definitely beatst the IS300, no dbout about it although a wrx could lose due to driver error. . . I own an IS300 and test drove a wrx (it may be a possible second car) and I could tell the wrx is way quicker, but once you reach ~70 mph, I am not so sure after that . . . it may be that the wrx wasn't broken in but it was slower than the IS . . . just my 2cents

#29 ·
I own both cars.

I hate to make a comparison, since both cars serve different purposes and they are both on completely different ends of the spectrum...but for conversation sake I will compare.
Please note that the IS300 that I own is a 5spd (185+ whp vs 165 whp for the auto).
The wrx will beat the 5spd IS to the 1/4. Numbers indicate that and driving both cars...I can confirm that the numbers will stand.. Fastest stock IS posted a 14.9 (I doubt I could replicate that). There are plenty of WRX's that hit 14.1 stock. The difference of 8ths of a second is really ugly in the 1/4. Granted the IS @ hwy speeds is at it's comfort zone while the WRX is nearly at it's limits at 100mph >
Let me just sum it up...
IS300 = NA comfortable, luxo-sport cruiser
WRX = Turbo, awd rally car that is driven on the streets

#33 ·
Anyone who doesn't believe a stock wrx doesn't have any pull after 100 either doesn't know what they are doing, or hasn't tried racing an IS at those speeds. I have done it and the wrx simply put; walked the IS with ease from 80 mph- 125. No contest.
The IS seems like a fun car don't get me wrong, but the wrx is superior. Now as far as the supercharged L-tuned version IS the stock wrx probably won't be able to run it, but any equally tuned wrx (cheaper) will still walk it again.
Thw wrx is a serious car.

#34 ·
I am not sure about you guys, but my car still has some left at 100mph. I agree that it does not acelerate from 100-125 like it does from 0-50, but what do you expect from a 4 cylinder of its size? I dunno. Perhaps it is because my previous car - a 97 Dodge Avenger ES - which had a 2.5L V6 engine, and a much sleeker profile did not pull as hard as my WRX does at those elevated speeds (100mph and up).
The other reason I can think of that explains our supposed gutlessness at those speeds is that at those speeds, the engine is revving past it's peak torque, so naturally, it does not pull as hard. At those speeds, it is the 227 (or more for those who can't help but pump up their perforemance :) ) that is doing the talking, and not so much our 217 or more lb of torque. I should also mention that the drag that the awd puts on the engine at those speeds must must be amazing (in a bad way).

#35 ·
First, I'm not saying the wrx is slow above 100mph. If anyone has ever seen a stock wrx dyno plot, you will quickly realize that there is a sharp decline in power at the top of the rpm ladder. Largely due to the size of our small stock turbo (which I plan to correct in the very near future). If you have ever seen the IS300 dyno plot, you will see that the power keeps gaining all the way to redline. Now take the next factor into consideration, 185 whp vs 165 whp. Also note the 5spd IS300 is electronically limited to 145 mph, the WRX will reach 140.

#36 ·
Interesting discussion and I must say, I like the IS300 visually, but it's a lot of mods away from being a car I would really enjoy.

A buddy and I were playing cat and mouse on I-4 not too long ago at 100mph(hit 125 with cars all around...yeah, I know) and the Rex did not feel like a wolrd beater, but it certainly had some engine left.

I had a Civic Si, mildly modified, before the WRX and I feared no IS300 in that thing. You just need bigger balls or a smaller brain than the guy you're racing. I prefer to think I have bigger balls. :D Anyway, the IS is what it is, a "low" priced lexus with nice lines, decent performance and a price tag $6k above the WRX.

Now if you want to have a good race, find yourself a S2000 and a stoplight. ;)

#44 ·
Stock, the IS had a decent balance, but I believe the v-8 is an aluminum blcok so wieght gains are probably around 400lbs in total... assuming new tranny, s/c etc.

not horrible, but i don't think they made the car w/ super handling & reflexes in mind :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.