WRX vS IS300?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vS IS300?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by scurry I think you answered you own question. Especially if your looking for performance and not luxury. ...

Re: IS300 food for thought

Originally posted by scurry
    I think you answered you own question. Especially if your looking for performance and not luxury. The IS300 is a sweet car and it does have the 2JZ-GE motor which can be modded like crazy. The draw back to this is the cost for those mods, and the question if the drive train can handle the mods. If you have the money and are willing to spend it I say go for it. However you can have less then $30K total investment in the WRX and be making 320hp. How much will it cost to bring the IS300 to this level? Not to mention the extra $6K for just the car.

Shawn
    The 2jz-g(t)e are great engines, but the ge, in the IS, is tricky to mod. Currently several companies are competing to produce a viable FI kit for the IS and almost all have failed to date. The issue is the blasted multi-link ODBII ECU that is proving to be a major pain in the ass. the work-around has been a stand-alone computer, and I don't think there's any way around this. FOr example, I have a piggy-back ECU that works w/ the MAF sensor in my HFI to alter the stock ECU's air/fuel ratio (more power) but the stock ECU, somehow, "figures out" what is going on and sllllooooowwwwwly starts to slide the A/F mix back to stock. So you have to unplug the Neg. terminal on the battery and reset the SOB every 2-3 months.
    "sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you"
    '01 IS300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by schischwein
    Mods for the IS will definately be pricier in general...even the short shifters are ridiculous...$270 for a Prolex.
    yes more expensive, but your price quote is off here: It's about $230, assuming you let them buy back your old shifter for $50.
    Email Mike (sales@prolexperformance.com) if you're interested. Mention my name, he should hook you up
    '01 IS300

tan
    The SportCross does have the 2JZ in Japan

Man I'd love to drive a 210 bhp (@ 7600 rpm) 3S-GE Dual VVT-i with 160 lb-ft (@ 6400 rpm), with 6 gears of forward motion
    Last edited by tan; 01-07-2002 at 08:16 AM.

Originally posted by tan
    The SportCross does have the 2JZ in Japan

Man I'd love to drive a 210 bhp (@ 7600 rpm) 3S-GE Dual VVT-i with 160 lb-ft (@ 6400 rpm), with 6 gears of forward motion
    why, when you can drive the 2jz w/ 215hp & 218ft/lbs torque?
    The 5 speed puts about 10 more hp to the wheels over the auto too. Man I wish I waited for the Manual...
    '01 IS300

tan
    It's nothing, I'm a bit partial to the "S" blocks, yet I drive a "VZ" block car, with the E-52 transmission

I forgot to mention the other day, I spanked some WRX on the Pulaski Skyway here in NJ the other day

I was cruising about 80 mpg heading east and I'm sure you guys run into this on a daily basis, I pass some chump going 55, and he decides to gun it. He catches up as if I were racing him and so I punch it. I pop over 100 and he lays off, I guess scared of the speed, but in the meantime we passed another WRX and he tried having a go at it and was also scared of the speed.
    I break 100 every time I'm in the car, these guys must have just been pooskies. So it's not a legit kill story

Keep in mind I had my snow tires on too
    '01 IS300

s0yb0mb,

The WRX (even mine) doesn't pull very hard above 100mph. With a turbo upgrade, this will be a whole different story. I like to roll on it fifth at 80mph and hit like 100mph, but after 105, even in fourth gear, the stock turbo just doesn't have much more to give. For this reason, the fastest I've ever had my car is ~125mph and I've only been up in the 120mph region about three times.

-Jim

hmmm didn't know about that top end issue... so what's the red line and what is the tach reading near 120? I've gone 130, and would have hit faster if not for traffic.
    '01 IS300

It's not a matter or revs, it's a matter of boost. In fourth gear, the boost gauge starts declining sharply at like 6200rpms. Actually, I never thought to just upshift and try accelerating more in fifth. Maybe this would solve the lack of boost at high rpm problem. This sounds like a new thread topic: How do I get to 140mph?

-Jim

Once again Mayhem is successfully IB4TL.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!

www.azpeacemakers.com

www.junesounds.com

I Agree with most said here. The IS is WONDERFUL, a go-kart, instantaneous responses, very cozy and the whole Lexus experience thing. You would not figure this is a Lexus.

WRX is great in it's own right, and is faster for sure.....

And the TRUE battle will begin in May when the TRD supercharged 305hp L-tuned IS 300 hits the streets!
    Allow myself to introduce myself

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
    WRX is great in it's own right, and is faster for sure.....
    And the TRUE battle will begin in May when the TRD supercharged 305hp L-tuned IS 300 hits the streets!
    How much is that going to cost? Probably more than a WRX and Cobb Tuning RT spec Power System. No contest there: I'll take the worked WRX.

-Jim

I own an IS300 and have driven wrx

The wrx definitely beatst the IS300, no dbout about it although a wrx could lose due to driver error. . . I own an IS300 and test drove a wrx (it may be a possible second car) and I could tell the wrx is way quicker, but once you reach ~70 mph, I am not so sure after that . . . it may be that the wrx wasn't broken in but it was slower than the IS . . . just my 2cents

I own both cars.

I hate to make a comparison, since both cars serve different purposes and they are both on completely different ends of the spectrum...but for conversation sake I will compare.
    Please note that the IS300 that I own is a 5spd (185+ whp vs 165 whp for the auto).
    The wrx will beat the 5spd IS to the 1/4. Numbers indicate that and driving both cars...I can confirm that the numbers will stand.. Fastest stock IS posted a 14.9 (I doubt I could replicate that). There are plenty of WRX's that hit 14.1 stock. The difference of 8ths of a second is really ugly in the 1/4. Granted the IS @ hwy speeds is at it's comfort zone while the WRX is nearly at it's limits at 100mph >
    Let me just sum it up...
    IS300 = NA comfortable, luxo-sport cruiser
    WRX = Turbo, awd rally car that is driven on the streets
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

WRX has the worst 4th gear, I have no pull what so ever after 100mph. 4th should have been a little shorter in my opinion.
    A lot of cars can pull on wrx after 100, rsx-x can actually walk a wrx from 80-120.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast