my wrx vs stealth rt - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on my wrx vs stealth rt within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Actually the 3000GT was a much more popular car then the 300zx, RX7, or Supra was. The 3000GT was the ...

Actually the 3000GT was a much more popular car then the 300zx, RX7, or Supra was. The 3000GT was the only car to survive and be sold here in the U.S till 99, it outsold the 300ZX, RX7, and Supra. The lack of VR4's and TT's not into the single digit 1/4mile times is due to it's AWD, tranny, and weight. (DSM's are a better dragrace platform)

But with that said, the VR4 is superior in other ways over it's rear drive jap competition, it's possible to drive it in any weather, it's AWD launch gives it a great holeshot, etc.

The 3000GT has it's strenghths and weaknesses just as any other car, I love it for what it is.
    -1995 3000GT VR4-
    K&N, Greddy BOV, HKS EVC IV .90 bar
    HKS S-AFR, Supra fuel pump
    RC 550cc injectors--to be installed
    DR500 Turbos
    Borla cat-back
    Stillen DP
    no cats

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

John M, I completely agree with u 100%. My VR4 was the best car i've ever owned. The 2k2 WRX that i bought is just simply more practical for my means since i'm in college. I love my back seat and trunk! Comparatively speaking the WRX is rice compared to the VR4 in lavishness and brute power. Dont flame me for that statement! I'm sorry

It's true, it's just a more....how do you put it....head turner.

I never got more compliments and head-turns as I did with my 3000GT. All the people talk about the compliments on the Rex, but it doesn't start nearly the conversations as a NICE 3000GT. I will MISS that car so much, I even had to go and sit in the seat and rub the dash-board a little before the wrecker came and towed it away from my house completely totaled.

But my REX is faster now than my 3000GT was...so I'm happy again.

-Jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

I know exactly how you feel after totaling your car:

http://moojohn.com/stealth/wreck

I was driving my new 94 exactly two weeks after the wreck. I swapped over all the mods plus my black leather from a 96 Stealth and I was back in business.

The 3S platform was sorely behind the other cars over the past 8-9 years. It was pitiful the way people listened to the accepted norms about what they were capable of.

I was told you wouldn't even reach 12s on stock turbos. "They're too small", "the car's too heavy", etc. I ran 12.90 in the 92 on stock fuel and then added injectors to my 94. The 6spd keeps the turbos in boost longer for better timeslips. It ran instant mid 12s and that was not 12 hours after I finished the install - zero tuning at that point. It was all done the night before a track event and I had to get it in there

How does it stack up?

Better lateral g's than: NSX, Supra, C5
    http://www.stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p16.jpg

Better slalom than a C5:
    http://www.stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p17.jpg

Better braking than an NSX, ties the C5, and is within 2 feet of anybody else except the Porsche 911:
    http://www.stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p21.jpg

It's not like I'm not experienced with other cars. My brother's car takes care of business as well - it's a 94 Supra with a single and all associated mods. All wrenching done by me

We just got a torque converter & built automatic tranny so it will really open up now. Timeslips to follow next Sat, along with newer times for my car as well.

http://moojohn.com/doug/supra/
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

John, I just picked up some 550 injectors and will be installing them in the next few weeks. I just was curious to your last post about adding injectors. Where did you pick up so much power with just injectors? Were you boosting higher? Do the injectors just flow better thus the car picks up more power at the same amount of boost?

Just wondering cause you mention you didn't even do much tuning.
    -1995 3000GT VR4-
    DR500 Turbos
    Borla cat-back
    Stillen DP
    no cats

Having such small turbos means they aren't efficient, especially when we're trying to wring extra boost out of them. On many turbo cars, at least on the DSMs I tuned for so long, they make the best power when running only a little rich.

On our barges, they like it almost at the point of being *too* rich, somewhere in the .96-.97 o2 voltage range. The stock 360s are barely adaquate even for stock boost. Also, when you add 550s and a fuel controller, the ECU sees only about half of the air that's actually coming in. This keeps you in the fatter part of the timing maps for more power. This also can induce knock so you make up for it by tuning a little richer.

On pump with no tuning it ran 12.65 @ 107. It's a good deal quicker than that now that I've had a while to adjust things. If you run race gas you can lean it out a bit - keep trying little by little till your trapspeeds don't improve.

Bypass the variable fuel pump voltage resistor (http://moojohn.com/fuelpump ) and also rewire the pump with 10 gauge (at stealth316.com). Both mods are necessary so that your added relay always has a 12v trigger. I'm installing an E2K fuel rail connector this weekend (it's a much larger connector between the front & rear fuel rails - search 3si.org for pics & info).

Oh yeah, and be sure to order the fuel injector O-rings from the dealership before starting the install. They refer to them as spacers. Part number is MD087060 and you'll need 6. Mine cost about $16 total.
    Last edited by John M; 02-07-2003 at 08:15 PM.
    John M
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

with all this power, how does the tranny hold up? Honest opinion ( I am thinking to pick up a rt/tt or a gto ) please.
    thanx
    SL
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

The 91-92 models had problems because the gear going to the transfer case was small and has 18 splines. The new ones are a little larger and have 25 splines. The new ones have stronger cases as well.

I never had any trans problems on my 92 or my 94. As long as you don't try to speed shift or basically row the car down the track with the shifter you'll be fine. At BPU levels you'll make over 400 torque at 2500 rpm so you have no problem with low end power. There's no need to kill it trying to eek out an extra 10th of a second.

Launching is also key. If you try a redline clutch drop then it'll be toast quick. If you instead do a quick slip at 4k - 4500 rpms it'll last forever. Let the clutch take the abuse, not the driveline! It's magazine drivers that scare the hell out of me.
    John M

Hey guys, GREAT technical info. here (you Mitu/Dodge guys really know your stuff!) but I think we're straying a bit off topic...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Good point

I answer email too
    John M

finally

ok, guys finally raced the r/t twin turbo stealth damn good race......so im driving down going to salutos and he pops up behind me. he wants to run, i don't(upipipe leak). so anyways we decide to run from a roll at first no good spots to chill and go from the hole. so anyway, he guns it i gun it he gets me by about a door length, at 85mph.... finally i taken matters into my own hands make a u-turn and get some nice tirs screech action......he pulls up next to me he like to damn heavy. we go at it i bt up to 2400 rpm and launch he drops at 5.5k and were of he gave me a side panel start and were dead even at aroun the 100 mark my trap speed so around 1/4mile, at about 110 he has me by a half a car. in my eyes i believe this is very good for a 4eat, monley boosted wrx w/ uppipe midpipe and axle back, add the uppipe stoopid leak, equalling bad response of turbo. so i did good. but the problem is he wont run me with my upipipe fixed..lol.......he said hell bring out the z06 for that.....oh and by the way he power shifted the whole race, from where i was at i would not want to be that tranny at that moment... he says it kept his boost up....
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Does he have any mods?
    -1995 3000GT VR4-
    DR500 Turbos
    Borla cat-back
    Stillen DP
    no cats

stock except for exauhst as i just found out, and new drags
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

ok, this is peter. he, my brother who uses mine, has his own screenname, but he is a dumbass and doesnt want to use it. anyhow, he raced my car without even asking me. anyhow, this is what happened. it seems that nick sucks at writing stories, so here goes. They found a nice straightaway, and they both launched it off the line. my brother broke torqued it to about 2500rpms and the guy in the rt rev up to 5500rpms before nailing it. my brother got him a bit off the line, but he started to catch up. at about 80mph, the rt was just about half a car behind, with the wrx still a bit ahead. at about 100 miles per hour, they were dead even, with the rt starting to walk away very slowly. thats about where they stopped. at the end of the race, the rt was ahead by about half a car length. the guy in the rt power shifted the whole way. nick, my brother was given first to punch it to start the race. with the uppipe leak fixed, and some other goodies i have for the car, the race should be even better, if he races ME this time !

peter
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

I see no evidence that what you raced was a twin turbo stealth.

Brake Torque?? Never heard of that being done unless it's an automatic NA car.

Exhaust?? That's another mod done mostly to NA cars, if it was a TT it would have some type of boost controll as a first mod (WAY more bang for the buck)

Unless I see a pic of the engine bay, what you raced was an NA automatic Stealth RT.
    -1995 3000GT VR4-
    DR500 Turbos
    Borla cat-back
    Stillen DP
    no cats

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.