WRX vs. S4 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX vs. S4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The S4s are awesome cars, no doubt about it. But for ,000, think of the monster WRX you'd have. Not ...

The S4s are awesome cars, no doubt about it. But for $38,000, think of the monster WRX you'd have. Not to mention the benefits of the 4 cylinders better gas mileage.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!

www.azpeacemakers.com

www.junesounds.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I raced an S4 from a standstill with a launch(we both launched hard) and i beat him by a car and a half by redline 3rd gear.. Twice.. Then on the roll i told him to put his car in 2nd for a rolling start race and he said No put it in third SO from 2000rpms in third gear(in my rex) we start racing at at first it seems even and around 3,500rpms my car starts pulling and by redline i'm a car and a half ahead of him!! Where did his Torque go?? hehe Ok, i do have an K&N panel filter and a boost controler and also the SOA STI performance muffler(but its stock diameter piping).. And in the S4's defense he was beating me when i first got my car(stock) by about half a car when we launched from a standstill.. and if we were to do a rolling 3rd gear start when my car was stock he would have pulled on me by at least a cars length.

Thumbs up

oh well you won

just thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. Dunno about in the USA, but here in Australia, the S4 ain't considered fast (no offence) They have 195kw (250hp) weigh heaps and run 0-60 in 6.5sec and the quarter mile in 14.4 sec. Various magazines here have taken them to the track, also with other cars such as the rex, and say all the audi quattro's, whether it is an S4, S6 or base models, handle very badly compared to other AWD cars, because of the weight they carry. (but on the road, the are bliss)
    The only audi which is a bullet imo is the RS4. 280kw (375hp), 0-60 in 4.9sec, quarter in 13.3 sec.

According to "Road & Track", Oct. '99 issue:

Audi S4:
    Price as tested: $41,724
    HP: 250
    0-60: 5.5 sec
    0-100: 14.5 sec
    1/4 mile: 14.1 sec @ 98.5 mph
    60-0 braking: 121 ft
    Slalom, mph: 63.0

WRX sedan (May '01 issue)
    Price as tested: $24,520
    HP: 227
    0-60: 5.7 sec
    0-100: 16.0 sec
    1/4 mile: 14.4 sec @ 98.5 mph
    60-0 braking: 138 ft
    Slalom, mph: 62.8

The RS4 sounds like a different car to me. Half of us here already have WRXs that can run the 1/4 faster than 14.1 secs with a professional driver.
    Last edited by bedabi; 01-07-2002 at 07:11 AM.

S4 and RS4

Hi People,

I am from Australia as well, and my follow aussie mate was correct.... S4 is not considered a very very fast car here, because it only 250 horses (exactly the same as US version) and is heavy. Its 0-100m time about 6.4-6.5, 0-400m 14.50-14.60 range. Note US 0-60mph and UK/AUS 0-100m is not same, so S4 0-60mph will be slightly faster, probably in the 5.9-6.0s range (guessing).

Secondly, the WRX in Australia is 160KW, and is therefore about 12 horses down on the US version. Here, the fastest tested times for WRX is 0-100m 6.14-7.0, and 0-400m is 14.50-15.0 range. The range of figures is larger because for some of the test cars, revving up cannot break traction so tested times were slower! Also, WRX Boxer engines take much much longer to break in, and we have more experience than you guys, because we have had WRX's here since 1994 and some run in the 10's. However, most importantly even in the lesser powered WRX in Aus, its still faster than the S4.

The RS4 is a different car to S4 because it comes only as a Wagon, also AWD and 2.7L twin-turbo, but much faster due to 280KW at engine .... Here its referred to as a Car/Wagon for Super Moms taking their kids to soccer/football 0-100m 5.1-5.3, 0-400m mid 13's say 13.60. That is 99% the same type of performance as a Mitsubishi Evolution 6.5 Maakinen Edition does here (We have them!!). So the RS4 in 0-60mph terms should do high 4's, and so would the Evolution 6.5. There are only 20 RS4s (read:twenty) allocated to Australia (which is about same size as US, but 1/11th-1/10th the population).

So yeah, even in standard form, the WRX (known as Rex) would kill the 4 rings, but probably not too easily, assuming both were good drivers...

BTW, Audi A4 1.8 T (now obsolete, we already have new A4) is a **** slow car, even with chip and exhaust. Standard is about 136KW does 0-100 in 8.8, 0-400 not worth mentioning, high 15's low 16's.... Even an ITR 7.0 or GSR 7.7 can beat it easily. Here, the Type-S with LSD (known as Tyre-R, 147KW) does 0-100m 6.95, 0-400m 14.95.

By the way, my ride's a S15 Silvia, with claimed 147KW, but its actually closer to 157KW don't know why its been under claimed. Standard 0-100m 6.34-6.90s, 0-400m 14.5-14.90s. That's running on 7-8 psi, same SR20DET as Jap, but our computer's been detuned compared to Japanese one. And I can tell u the Aussie S15s have the skinniest exhaust on ANY FACTORY TURBO car in this world, measuring only 1.85 inches thick (sometimes we use inches for measurement!!). With a 3" off-turbo exhaust, my car gets 25KW more at the wheels, which is an 21% improvement. Spend US$2500-3000 and the S15 runs in the 12's. With older WRXs, doing the same exhaust gets about 10-15KWs only.

Lots of infos for u guys, coz its probably the last time I will write!!

Happy DRAGGING for everyone!!
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

The S4 is SLOWER than the WRX. Car and Driver testes the WRX and the S4.

0-60/quarter
    WRX = 5.4/14.1
    S4 = 5.5/14.2

These are the stats from www.car-stats.com

These were taken directly from Car and Driver
    What the hell was that?

I have a stock 02 WRX and my friend has a 2000 S4(250HP). Stock for stock, the S4 will walk away from a WRX, at least from a roll. The S4 has tons of torque, so it just goes when you mash on the gas. We're talking about 6 cylinders compared to 4, so this should not be shocking.

We have never raced from a stop, but I'm almost 100% positive he would win. Neither of us are great drivers, but I'm sure the results would be the same if we swapped cars. Again, from a roll, he kills me every time....from 10MPH and up.

Just a warning to owners of stock WRXs who think S4s are slower than them.

God
    Just look at the 0-100 numbers on the S4. Huge difference. They do have better power all around and the 6 speed helps keep it in the power band although I did notice that it dies out on top much like the WRX does. Possibly due to cats or possibly due to small turbos. Not sure which.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Maybe because of both. Just like WRXs.

I've raced an S4 from a stop and am very impressed how well my WRX kept up at top end. The launch, I had him a good two car difference all the way up to 100mph. Once then the S4 slowley pulled. By 5th gear, that car just started pulling harder and harder. I guess when you race a fast car like the S4, you tend to hit 135mph easily without realizing it. I give the S4's prop for top end.

JNR

S4 observations from a previous owner

I have owned two biturbo S4's the first a 2000 Nogaro Blue MTM Stage 1 car, and the second an 2001 Black/Black with Abt -Miltek stage two configuration. Both cars were very fast top-end cars and I had the stage two car up to 165 and had pedal left. It was also a very hard car to launch, lacked the visceral road feel of an M car or the WRX, and in the end I sold them both because they just felt too much like a fast luxury car.

I sold my last S4 for cash, bought a WRX sedan outright,and have dumped an additional 9K back into the WRX. Although I am still in shock over the crude interior in comparison to the S4, I know my WRX is faster than my stage 2 S4 was, at least up to the 120-130 mph zone.At that point having a six versus a four cylinder begins to really pay-off.Choose your battles wisely and know your cars limits.

Jeff

I'm sure someone's posted a comparison between the steering and shift linkage on the two cars???

no?

Penguinking said it best...

in S4 ground superiority...the last post.

My sentiments exactly

I like both of the cars...they're great and I'd own both of them if I had the garage space...hmmmm?

Anywhos...sorry about the flamage toward you WRX owners. I love your car...just don't downplay others peoples vehicles...s4 cough!

Cause in the longrun...it all comes down to personal preference and $$$$. Money not being a factor, I wanted a quiet car that had a lot of torque and speed, but also was very civilized. My former car was a Contour SVT...that car was loud! So I upgraded to the S4 which also has a much more refined interior.

Anywhos...to each his own and I'll still race anyone here...

Best Regards....

WRX KILLER!...hehe
    Gin and Tonic Demonic!

dw
    I was actually in the market to purchase either an S4 or a WRX. They were really the only cars I was considering. I test drove both of them a couple of different times and liked them both for different reasons. I ended up getting a WRX because I wouldn't feel as guilty about flinging the thing around as an S4.

To give an example, at the last rally-x event here we had something like 25 Imprezas that ran with no problems. Well an S4 guy that was watching decided to get in on the action and take a run during fun-runs. He managed to rip off all the underbody plastic protection on his car and I believe got a flat tire, in that one run. The S4 is a fast road-going luxury car and that's its purpose. In my mind the WRX is a more exciting car to drive, doing a wider variety of activities. When the EVO and STi come to the US with 260+hp and vastly superior handling to the S4, and still cost $10k less, that just widens the gap a whole lot more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.