Ricer Fly Bys
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ricer Fly Bys within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Please don't tease me but what's a Ricer Fly By? Im obviously an Aussie and we have never used this ...

Ricer Fly Bys

Please don't tease me but what's a Ricer Fly By? Im obviously an Aussie and we have never used this term here. I have the general idea, but what does it mean to you guys.
    "What's the sense in being young, if you can't be impulsive"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

to me it means this:

After you spank a ricer in a race, you let off the gas to start slowing down, at which point the ricer comes zooming by you like the race was still going. They think if they do this, then ,in a sense they won the race because they are now ahead of you. Its like that famous driver who doesn't like something you did but waits until you pull off the freeway or turn the corner to flip you the bird.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

Over here, that person would look like a real LOSER. But sucked in to em anyways.
    "What's the sense in being young, if you can't be impulsive"

Over here they also look like real losers. But there are alot of guys that do it. Alot. They realize that the only way they can win a race is to sneak up behind you and get a 50mph head start. Thats a classic flyby.

Maybe a flyby is the avoid embarassment after losing. Flying by fast so they won't allow us to see their face? lol

Any car can perform a fly-by, but this term really developed because of ricers because it is very annoying when a ricer does on.

First of all, a "ricer" or "rice burner" is any four-cylinder car that has more show than go and/or makes WAY too much noise to be accelerating as poorly as it does. Ricers are easily identified from a distance by an annoying buzzy exhaust note. When you catch up to the ricer, which inevitably occurs if you drive a WRX, you can see the cheap coffee can (or fart can) muffle protruding from beneath the often trimmed bumper.

While you are passing the ricer, you will notice a lot of stickers mostly for products that the dirver of the car can't possibly afford Some of the stickers will be in Japanese and one will always say, "Powered by [insert manufacturer here]." as is nobody knows that a Honda is powered by Honda or a Nissan is powered by Nissan. Ricers believe that these stickers actually make the car go faster and handle better.

Lastly, ricers have aerokits and spoilers galore, most of which provide as much or more drag than downforce and tend to break or fall off when the 17 year old driver hits a curb at McDonalds.

A Flyby is a tacky manuever to save face, which often involves changing lanes in front of the true winner of the race who backed of the throttle two minutes ago.

In case you can't tell, I hate ricer flybys.

As an aside, Japanese sport bikes and cars that are ACTUALLY fast are referred to in a non-derogitory way as "rice rockets." IMO, the WRX definitely qualifies as a rice rocket.

-Jim

another ricer-flyby manuver, the one that makes me wish i carried a gun in the car, is when you're going much faster than traffic (as I always am) and after you pass some dude, he gets it in his head that you are racing. So while you were going along at a solid 80mph, and he was putting along at 60mph, he decides to chase you down, then tailgate you as if you're not going fast enough. I often hammer the brakes and get down to 40 mph or slower before i juice it and leave him for good
    "sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you"
    '01 IS300

haha...i got one of those moments too.

I was just driving with my friend in the car at around 80mph along this ramp and i passed up a fixed Accord. Next thing you know...he's cutting people off trying to catch up to me. Before he can get to my car, i changed to his lane on purpose and just started speeding up keeping my gear on 5th. He never passed me up ONCE so i decided to let go my gas after running at 115mph at one point which he disappeared from my mirror.

After a lil while..you see him come up again....cutting from the fast lane...(i was in the 2nd slow lane) all the way to the first lane...pass my car....cut in front of my lane....and revved his exhaust. My friend was laughing cause i already smoked him a couple times now and he still won't give up. *SiGh* rice rockets.....

I'm surprised he didnt' flash his emergency lights..haha

I didn't think that "Ricer Fly-by's" were that common.... until yesterday.

I was behind a honda civic that had one of those god awful, non-functional, whale wings, and some really dialed 14" American Racing wheels, lowered chassis, and custom tinted windows with bubbles.

I entered the corner to the freeway on ramp right behind this knob. He was really doggin it up the hill, and it was a double lane entrance that merged to a single entry to the highway. I moved to the other lane, and punched it, only to realize this dork was trying to keep up and cut me off before the merge.

At the top of the ramp, I had at least 5 car lenghts. He proceeded to motor up on me and swerve across the stripes cutting off me and the other 3 cars trying to cut into rush hour traffic!!!

I want to commission a study on these tards.
    2002 Silver WRX - Bone Stock

I experienced my first rice fly by with my wrx this past Sunday. Drove past a clean looking Gts going about 70 on the beltway. 1/2 mile down the hwy I hear the sound of a roaring intake/ext. combo fly bye me at 90-100 mph. Sure enough it was the celica. I laughed and blew it off. Driving off the beltway on to a major street which I live off, what is this, its the blue celica that roared by me. I'm thinking gosh, that saying payback is a ***** is really going to hit this guy right in the back of the head. We line up next to each other at a 4 lane intersection, this major road. I hear him revving his motor, and his passenger looked like some young teenage boy about to cry b/c his brother is about to get lit up. I barely launch, just making the celica think he has a shot. Just when he has a bumper on me I lay on it and smoke his arse like a pack of kool's. It felt great, payback was really fun.

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    As an aside, Japanese sport bikes and cars that are ACTUALLY fast are referred to in a non-derogitory way as "rice rockets." IMO, the WRX definitely qualifies as a rice rocket.
    I disagree. "Rice rocket" is indeed a derogatory and pejorative term. Look at any muscle car forum such as corral.net or LS1.net and you'll be hard pressed to find that term used as a compliment. IMO, fast sport bikes and cars are complimented by being called "fast sport bikes and cars". Period.

I'd also like to add that "flybys" are hardly limited to people called "ricers" on this board (we are called ricers by mere fact we drive a Japanese manufacturer's car on the above-mentioned boards). I mostly get flybys by big-engined SUVs and trucks.
    Last edited by bedabi; 05-08-2002 at 01:43 PM.

The worst is when they fly by you, and flash their hazards as if they have won.

Originally posted by Jared703
    ....smoke his arse like a pack of kool's....
    That's a great expression!

Originally posted by bedabi

I disagree. "Rice rocket" is indeed a derogatory and pejorative term. Look at any muscle car forum such as corral.net or LS1.net and you'll be hard pressed to find that term used as a compliment. IMO, fast sport bikes and cars are complimented by being called "fast sport bikes and cars". Period.

I'd also like to add that "flybys" are hardly limited to people called "ricers" on this board (we are called ricers by mere fact we drive a Japanese manufacturer's car on the above-mentioned boards). I mostly get flybys by big-engined SUVs and trucks.
    So true, try mini vans ( 200hp ones ) too. Some how they see a WRX and they go bonkers
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Originally posted by WRXrumble

So true, try mini vans ( 200hp ones ) too. Some how they see a WRX and they go bonkers
    YES!!!! I tend to profile certain cars as needlessly reckless on the road. Among them are minivans driven by lone young males. I think they're trying to overcompensate. Those 200+hp V6 ones are best avoided. Reckless and full of blind spots. Second only to SUV's driven by little women with big hair chatting on cell phones. Very dangerous fly byers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast