WRX vs. 95 BMW M3 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX vs. 95 BMW M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i never generalized my statements enough to say Japanese or German. But if I we were......I would have to bring ...

i never generalized my statements enough to say Japanese or German. But if I we were......I would have to bring up that VWs are German cars as are Audis. Friends of mine own both and have had quite a few problems within the 1st year or 2.

Yeah I know numbers in the Mags arent always the best....but you know usually they are better than what the average Joe-Slo can muster, afterall the persons conducting the tests for the mags you could say are "professional launch artists". Not to mention, you tend to drive cars harder when you can give them back.....as the magazine testers I am sure do.

I personally tested my WRX....since we are bringing up personal numbers (I was using the mag numbers as to be unbiased)...going 0-60 (stock) in 5.2 with an aggressive launch. Now I am down to 4.54 (modified).

And I have to do it............Supras. Toyota Supras possess perhaps one of thee most durable maintenance free engines ever produced (Not to mention Nissans VQ engines). You could run a stock Supra to death and never break a single thing. Heck put an additional 200hp to the wheels and the only things you may need to replace oftern is the clutch, tires and perhaps the brakes.

Also, I would like to mention that BMW and Mercedes have special training courses for there maintenance technicians. If you think that you eventually are not going to pay for that extra "expertise" as a customer to their service departments, you are sorely mistaken.

becasue there are so many more on the road, economies of scale allow for much cheaper replacement costs. as far as frequency of servicing, both should be identical. oil changes, brakes, tires etc, (all things being equal) should fall directly in line. a bmw is MUCH more expensive to maintain than a suby, or any other jap car.
    Exactly.

dug
    Last edited by PlatinumWRX; 01-31-2002 at 10:35 AM.
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well... I'm sorry for saying the japanese vs. german cars... I posted that b/c I thought I remembered reading that from someones post... but I looked back and I was wrong... my bad...

I don't consider VW's and Audi's in my german car list... as far as I'm concerned (and many others too) they are the arm pit of German engineering... and they are way more expensive to fix than even a BMW or a Mercedes...

I know the supra engine is durable... it will handle what 600-800hp on the stock bottom end... thats crazy... and the skyline engine will do the same if not more....

One interesting thing to note.. the Dinan Supercharged 540i racecars... that he used to race were running 500hp on stock internals... this impressed me, b/c these engines are originally naturally aspirated...

as far as the 4.54 0-60 time... DAYUM... thats fast how high are you revving when you launch?

And I do know that BMW and Mercedes have specialized techs... but I thought that all car companies had that... if not, thats a rude awakening.... and yes the techs make somewhere in the $50/hour range... thats why you can get a way better deal at an independent shop.... usually

as far as I'm concerned (and many others too) they are the arm pit of German engineering...
    Toooo Funny!!

Skylines are pretty badass...and from a "little" 2.6 liter inline 6! Really most engines start out as NA designs... but alot of companies engineer in the durability for forced induction applications. Whether it be for racing or a sporty model they release. Flexibility is the key.....

For example Miatas 1.8 liter is NA. But when boosted it repsonds really well with "gobs" of power....and stays relatively durable. But when you look to Japan, you will find that engine was designed from the beginning to be boosted. They just NA adapted it. Of course too, you have many engines in the US that are turboed, but with lesser versions that are NA. Really, any truly GREAT engine will produce good relaible power regardless the means........

I launch my car between 4 and 5k. Nothing too damaging, hopefully.....

Yeah, your right about all companies having specialized techs, but as far as I know the BMW and MB programs are much more structured and in-depth. I mean you could go into one of those being a real novice....and come out Super ASE certified and then some, a real expert on whatever label.

With me an independant shop is out of the question for now. The WRX engine is completely new to the US....I dont exactly trust just anyone working on it. I at least want someone who has been specifically trained in the EJ20s ins and outs...........hopefully 2 or 3 years the independant shops can/will be up to speed....by then my warranty may have run out and it would be a nice alternative!

Doug

EDIT: Doug, the UBB code termination slashs (like for quotes, bold, urls, etc.) go inside of the brackets. -Jim
    Last edited by PlatinumWRX; 01-31-2002 at 10:37 AM.

Intresting......

dug, yes for a new car, especially the WRX... I would use the dealer, I only say for BMW's and Mercedes, their designs and stuff are pretty similar through the years...

Very cool info on the Miata engine though, we had a miata on the lot that was a tradein... and I really liked how smooth the engine ran and revved... I was thoroughly impressed.

Funniest thing... I just got a call from my brother about an Audi Quattro.. and I think I may call the guy up about it... and possibly buy it... but that still doesn't change my viewpoint... I don't particularly like them... but its a rare quattro coupe and its only got 79k miles.. for a 1990 its not bad.... I'll keep you guys posted

I don't really trust the dealers to do any service work either....

The last time I went, I wanted them to replace my spark plugs.... and change my oil.. using my filter, and their Mobil 1 synthetic....

Well.... The next day, I was driving around.. and I got crap on my windshield.... I went to turn on the water sprayer..... hmmmm nothing..... got out... checked... tank was full.. I was like WTF!

I also noticed that the battery was loose...and moving around... the damn thing was undone....

Anyways, went back to the dealer... found out that when they replaced my spark plugs, they removed the windshield washer fluid tank, and forgot to hook the power back up... oh, and they took out the battery, and forgot to bolt it back down.....What's the deal? Shouldn't a suby tech know this stuff? Isn't that what they're paid for?

and, looking at my receipt, they put regular dyno oil in my car....

I was pissed......

Who can you trust? Sometimes I wish I were mechanically inclined..... I'd do this crap myself....

Oh well....
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!

HAHA, well first off, if its just an oil change... take it to one of those quick lube places... take your oil and your filter and you can watch them do it. Thats what my sister does... she doesn't trust them to do it theirselves, but she does get to watch them and she knows whats going in there.

I have found that techs working for dealers tend to work much sloppier and they do more work that is not needed simply for the fact that they get paid by the hour...

Nothing is trust like knowing all the mechanics in my area. and having two or three that do all of the family and company work.

those funny little coupons

Time for your Check-Up

ONLY $79.99!!!

Includes:
    -Oil Change
    -Check Tires
    -Check Brakes
    -Fluids
    -Bend You Over
    -Steal your Wallet
    -Kick you in the Back

what a joke. they'll have her on the lift long enogh to drain the pan. check the tires.... wtf.

dR

Yeah, one time I went and had my oil changed (normally I am a shade tree mechanic....but weather wasnt permitting) at the dealer. I had already bought my synthetics and the filter. I know they at least put the filter on (for obvious reasons) but ill never know if they scarfed up the $5.00/quart synthetic stuff for themselves.....

For the most part they seem to be a pretty good dealership....I have begun developing a good relationship with them....but still, you never know.

What really pissed me off was that when done they pushed the hood shut. I dont think I have to say anymore than that...

I now have a small depression in the hood....come on now aluminum is not that strong....you gotta drop it, not push it!!!

But I shiver to think what would happen elsewhere with techs who know even less!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug

are they at least gonna pay for it?? if not, I would consider some sort of paintless dent removal. Dent Wizard does a good job, and they guarantee it, so if you don't like what was done, you dont pay. (I know this is how they used to do it, I'm not 100% sure if they still do that)

....... or perhaps you can have it done through a dealer, as they usually get the good guys to come do their work,.... one thing is you need to be sure that someone who knows what they're doing does the dents or else you will have some sort of ripple effect which would look horrible on a new WRX.

I dropped the hood on my fathers mercedes... and when it didn't close all the way I tried to push it closed... he almost killed me, but he showed me a cool trick you can do with a steel hood that only closes halfway. (you pull up the side that didn't close... only slightly and drop it and it will use its leverage to slam itself)

It was one of those things when you know they did it(greasy hand print) but other than that you have no proof. Its a very small depression....but I notice. Anyway though, like I said I am developing a good relationship with them in respect to the mods on my car and them not saying anything about them. If I raise hell about a small small dent on the hood......come service time, they may be like well, "you modified this and that...so your warranty is void". I mean they might do that anyway....but so far so good.......and pissing them off wont help....but if I do notice anything else.............I may have to forego my warranty intactment tactics......

Doug

Well,

if you are interested in some paintless dent removal, so you don't have to be reminded of it every time you look at the hood.

I would recommend Dent Wizard. If you were in my area I'd say to bring it down to our lot, and we could get it done for ya, but your in Maryland, so thats a little out of the question.

On the other hand it would probably be preferable to research it a little bit, just to find out which paintless dent removal service is the best. Most detail shops now feature this so you might want to check there too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123