Legacy GT v 350Z
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Legacy GT v 350Z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just thought I'd share. Cliff notes: Tool in a 350Z gets his butt handed to him by a family sedan. ...

I Support ClubWRX

Legacy GT v 350Z

Just thought I'd share.
    Cliff notes:

Tool in a 350Z gets his butt handed to him by a family sedan.

Heading home on South 81 last Friday, got stuck in traffic for a merge into a construction zone.

Everyone is doing the normal get over way to early stuff, so I'm just putting along in the left lane, making some headway since there weren't any truckers deciding to play traffic monitor at the time.

Anyway, (this is a looong merge) I come over a hill and notice a large gap in the right lane, caused by a 350Z moving slowly. I notice he is jerkily accelerating and then braking, for who knows what reason. As I go by (about 20 mph), the driver jumps on it and immediately whips in behind my car.

About 2 miles later (like I said...a looong merge) I finally get to the actual merge and have my turn signal on and am patiently waiting for my slot. The 20 or so drivers ahead of me merge smoothly and the drivers in the right lanes are letting in each car one by one. As my slot starts to open, the 350Z behind me guns his car and jumps between me and the right hand lanes car, trying to jump the line. I continue merging slowly and he is forced over a bit but still on the road. He revs his engine at me. I'm like .

I merge in behind him and he proceeds to slow way down, opening up a large gap in front of him. He then jumps on it, speeds up, and then slows down again. He does this a number of times. Me...I'm just putting along staying the same speed as the traffic ahead of him.

Once the construction zone is cleared, he immediately jumps into the left lane, pulls up even with a big truck on the right, and keeps pace (about 50 mph in a 65 mph zone). Still no big deal, but basically I'm just trying to get home and now this tool is messing with that.

So...I wait. He slowly creeps up, leaving about a 2 car gap between him and the truck on the right. I stay behind the truck and just wait. As soon as I see the gap widen a bit more, I nail it, blow by him on the right, and get it up to about 75 and hit the cruise control.

Of course, boi-racer didn't like this and immediately climbed up my arse. I ignored him.

Of course, another construction zone appears ahead, and he zooms by me trying to get ahead. I let him, and of course, end up letting him merge ahead of me. As he is sitting beside me in traffic though, I roll down my window and wait. His limo tinted passenger window finally rolls down and I say "Nice car". The driver says "It'll smoke that thing". I'm like .

I've basically had enough of boy wonder at this point. I look over at him and say "I've got a hundred bucks says it can't" (knowing no one will ever pay anyway, but my testosterone has flared at this point and I want to egg him on). His response: "How about for a thousand".

I say "No problem...you better be boosted" (couldn't see a fmic).

Now...I do not normally condone street racing, but have been known to get into some spirited driving a time or two on the road, and for this tool, I was willing to make an exception.

After the construction zone, there was a looooong uphill area with essentially no traffic. He was traveling about 65 and every time I went to pull up next to him would slowly accelerate. So, I figured he wasn't game and backed off, setting my cruise around 75 again and basically not sweating it anymore.

What does he do? Gets ahead of me, pulls into my lane, and slows down.

OK...enough toolishness. I downshift, goose it a bit and sure enough, he jumps on it. I stick to his bumper and have to let off in order not to occupy the same space. His exhaust is screaming at high revs, and it is immediatly clear he doesn't have enough HP.

I swing around next to him....roll my window down, wave to him, upshift to 5th, and immedieatly put about 5 lengths on him.

To rub it in, I then slowed down, let him catch up, and then left him again (waving again of course).

Apparantly he didn't want anything to do with me after that and stayed about a half mile back...for about 5 miles, then on a down hill section, I see him gaining speed and he flashed by at well over 100 mph, and hit his flashers.

I pull into the next exit for gas and some distance between our two cars.

Tools and their cars. I felt guilty about competing agianst him, but also gratified that my 4 door sedan was able to pull it off. Hopefully the tool will be a bit more respectfull of Subaru's after this.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice job!
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

nice rolling slap.

Good job!! I'd have probably done the same thing eventually. I usually ignore idiots on the road as well but sometimes there's just so much we can take before having to put people in their place.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    The driver says "It'll smoke that thing".
    Who says things like that?

The F&F legacy? (no pun intended)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

It's just a Camry with a hood scoop!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    ...for about 5 miles, then on a down hill section, I see him gaining speed and he flashed by at well over 100 mph, and hit his flashers.
    typical rice
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    ^^^Your sig is bull****....
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Is that a euphemism for a meat helmet?

Nice kill.

The guys sounds like he was a real idiot.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    Nice kill.

The guys sounds like he was a real idiot.
    Most of those Z guys are.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Most of those Z guys are.

Sometime I think your right
    Last edited by cavallino333; 07-25-2007 at 09:01 AM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

You should see the looks I get when I tell people that my 350Z is slower than my WRX. Nearly everyone still prefers the Z.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post

Sometime I think your right
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    You should see the looks I get when I tell people that my 350Z is slower than my WRX. Nearly everyone still prefers the Z.
    I hear ya man. I still remember when the 350Z forum kept posting videos of a slightly modded 350Z just killing stock and stage 2 STi's. I called shenanigans on their forum and asked any one of them to meet me at the track for proof (I had my STi at that time). Needless to say, there was a lot of bs'ing going on but no one would step up to the plate...including the owner of the 350Z who was posting the videos.

I also remember the Nissan salesman who couldn't believe me when after test driving a 350Z Track edition I said the 350Z was too slow. He also said it would beat an STi. While taking him for a spirited drive in the STi (stage 2 at that point) he asked me to pull over so he could hurl. Ok...maybe I was hammering it pretty hard, but I just wanted to prove a point.

I love the 350Z looks, but I'll take FI anyday over looks.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Who says things like that?

The F&F legacy? (no pun intended)
    That is exactly what I was thinking at the time. Right along with me saying "I'll bet you a hundred dollars...blah..blah.".

Sometimes, even though you can see the cartoonish situation you are in, you just have to say the words anyway. And believe me, this guy, and his passenger, were both very cartoonish...wife beaters, sideways hats, etc, etc. I was looking for the 3 stage NAWS laptop, but couldn't see it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I Support ClubWRX
    The 350Z driver was just concerned about the structural integrity of his floorboards and/or the welds on his intake manifold and didn't want to push it.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast