Guys! Need help deciding!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Guys! Need help deciding! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; HI, i have been lurking around the site reading up on the wrx, but not much posting... i'm in a ...

Question Guys! Need help deciding!

HI, i have been lurking around the site reading up on the wrx, but not much posting... i'm in a state of confusion. i am trying to decide between a used around a 05, maybe a 06 wrx, or a 94ish RX-7. I live in FL so the all wheel drive factor doesnt really shine at me that much, but the rear wheel of the rx-7 does. I am considering a wrx for the gas mileage and the warranty i will get, which doesnt come on the rx-7. This will be my 3rd year driving and my 2nd car. My first is(was) my moms training car, a mitsubishi mirage DE lol. Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First of all... WRONG forum... hahaha... If you want a WRX... the 06's+ have the 2.5L motor... and it is a lot more torquey... haha... gas mileage isn't the best though... it's ok on the highway... but in the city it kinda sucks... it all comes down to personal preference... which do 'U' like better?? Of course a lot of people are gonna say a WRX in a WRX forum!! Good luck with your choice!

And for what it's worth... WRX FTW!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX- Stage 2
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

If this will be your only car, the answer is simple. Get the WRX.

As sick as the FD3 RX7s are, they are not very reliable, at least 10 years old, and it will not have a warranty. So you will be up crap's creek without a paddle if anything goes wrong with the car, which is likely. Don't get an RX7 unless you can afford to fix it often and it is no more than your second/play car.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

I say it all the time: There's a reason all the RX7's for sale have a freshly rebuilt or replaced engine. They didn't do that for your benefit; they did it to sell the car. Of all the 90's turbo cars, that's the most finicky. You've really got to stay on top of it if you want it to keep running.

There aren't really any powertrain advantages to buying cars from that era. The interiors were typically made with better quality components - much less hard plastic and no "80s boombox" silver-colored plastic trim.

If this is your first performance car, go with something more modern and restore an antique 90s car later on Get a 2.5 liter Subie and enjoy.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    If this will be your only car, the answer is simple. Get the WRX.

As sick as the FD3 RX7s are, they are not very reliable, at least 10 years old, and it will not have a warranty. So you will be up crap's creek without a paddle if anything goes wrong with the car, which is likely. Don't get an RX7 unless you can afford to fix it often and it is no more than your second/play car.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I will agree that the RX7 is cooler but they really do suck in terms of reliabilty , how much is the RX7?
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

I'm going to say it again...RX-7 are not reliable. If there is anything done to it. Don't get it. Chances are it overheats!! My friends RX-7 was heavily modded and it sucked because the damn thing kept overheating. Major work needs to be done to fix the overheating problems. He said the car just broke all the time.

Don't get me wrong. The owner was a Japanese Engineer from Japan. His dad owns a SKYLINE R-34 in Japan. The car was VERY fast. I think he was boosting like 25 psi, but even he could not fix the overheating problems.

If you want a project car ...buy the RX-7.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

Unless you have a lot of time, a lot of money, and have a good mechanic in your back pocket avoid the RX7 like the plague.

It is a VERY cool car, but has way too many issues. The wrx is still a fun car but is much more reliable.

Have you thought about a used 350Z? Still a fun sport car but more reliable than the RX7.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by MengHang View Post
    I'm going to say it again...RX-7 are not reliable. If there is anything done to it. Don't get it. Chances are it overheats!! My friends RX-7 was heavily modded and it sucked because the damn thing kept overheating. Major work needs to be done to fix the overheating problems. He said the car just broke all the time.

Don't get me wrong. The owner was a Japanese Engineer from Japan. His dad owns a SKYLINE R-34 in Japan. The car was VERY fast. I think he was boosting like 25 psi, but even he could not fix the overheating problems.

If you want a project car ...buy the RX-7.
    Not only do they overheat...but the blocks have an affinity for cracking quite easily, especially if you do anything more than stock boost on the turbo models...

Though if they are rebuilt properly for performance...they are SICK cars...

I wouldn't use it for a daily driver however, so the WRX would be the best bet...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    No snow? No wrx in my book.

Skip the RX7.

Used C5 vette, 350z, or g35 FTW
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

wow... Thanks for all the replies! the RX-7 is modded out of the tailpipe and it was for 20,000. And how does a 350z w/ a turbo compare with a wrx? and the C5 corvette lol i dont think i can handle that kind of insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    No snow? No wrx in my book.

Skip the RX7.

Used C5 vette, 350z, or g35 FTW
    +1.

The wrx is a good car, but without being able to really use AWD I think other options seem more appealing.

If you're looking at 05/06 wrx's that means you have ~ $20k to spend. And if you were looking at RX7's that means you don't really need a usable back-seat.

I would focus on:

C5 + suspension and bolt ons = Easy 12sec car that is reliable.

350Z + wheels and exhaust = Sex on wheels and amazing sounds.

GTO + suspension and bolt ons = Same as C5 but with a back seat and nicer interior.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Thanks. The C5 is out of the question. but the GTO is a possiblity.A 350z with a 18G turbo and new wheels along with an exaust, how would it compare to a GTO?

I have a 350Z. A turbo'd 350Z will be pretty damn quick but its a whole lot of money. Plus the more "extreme" turbo kits seem to have less than stellar reliability without a built engine etc. However some of the more conservative turbo or supercharged set ups seem to be relatively ok. I don't see/hear about a lot of single turbo Z's most seem to go with twins or s/c but mostly twins. The Z is not a car to get if you want to mod cheaply, everything is really expensive. The upside is, the car is pretty nice and well balanced stock, looks fantastic and it can be made to be a pretty powerful car given enough money.

I'm not sure how a turbo Z will compete with a GTO, theres a pretty big power difference that would have to be overcome first. Stock for stock it will be death for the Z. (obviously) However the Z handles better and is a bit more balanced IMO. I'd bet the GTO would be cheaper to get straight power out of though.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 07-24-2007 at 09:58 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I have a 350Z. A turbo'd 350Z will be pretty damn quick but its a whole lot of money. Plus the more "extreme" turbo kits seem to have less than stellar reliability without a built engine etc. However some of the more conservative turbo or supercharged set ups seem to be relatively ok. I don't see/hear about a lot of single turbo Z's most seem to go with twins or s/c but mostly twins. The Z is not a car to get if you want to mod cheaply, everything is really expensive. The upside is, the car is pretty nice and well balanced stock, looks fantastic and it can be made to be a pretty powerful car given enough money.

I'm not sure how a turbo Z will compete with a GTO, theres a pretty big pwoer difference that would have to be overcome first. Stock for stock it will be death for the Z. (obviously) However the Z handles better and is a bit more balanced IMO. I'd bet the GTO would be cheaper to get straight power out of though.
    Thanks! So now all i have to do is go testdrive 3cars. The GTO, the 350Z and the WRX. ok guys thanks alot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast