06 WRX v. 06 WRX: Looking for an explanation

This is a discussion on 06 WRX v. 06 WRX: Looking for an explanation within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Now, I don't street race. In fact, in my years of driving, I haven't ever once with a random car ...

06 WRX v. 06 WRX: Looking for an explanation

Now, I don't street race. In fact, in my years of driving, I haven't ever once with a random car I've encountered while driving around. But this worked out quite nicely and I just wanted to see what my car could do.

Middle of the day, two lane highway (Route 38 in NJ, I think). I roll up to a red stoplight and another black 2.5L WRX pulls up to me with 3 passengers in his car (three guys and a girl total). He looks at me and yells "Whooo!" I don't know, he was a younger guy. I ask him if he's stock. He revs and I hear that Subaru rumble. I took a look at his exhaust and it's a huge twin tip. I yell back that I'm stock. I'll probably lose, but I can't turn it down, seeing as we have similar cars.

So the light turns green and I launch my baby with the glass transmission. Eep. He pulls ahead slightly, spinning all four of his wheels (I didn't know we could do that) and I catch up by the time 1st is wrung out. Second, I keep up with him but he pulls away slightly. By third and 80 MPH, he's about a car length in front of me. We shut down after that and he just kept going, no slowing down for a thumbs up or anything. Ah well, I was laughing it up because it was a first.

So what happened there? I know he has a lot of extra weight. I'm guessing he was running stage 2 with his TBE. I'm thinking I was able to keep up at first because of my less weight (just me in my car as opposed to him carrying 3 passengers). I've never launched my car before, but I know the basic technique from reading the forums. Didn't spin my wheels like he did, though.

So by the time second gear was done, the weight advantage became a diminished factor and he started to pull away. Opinions?
    2006 WRX TR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1. Anytime you spin tires you lose time/speed

2. Weight is a HUGE factor.

3. There is a good chance he was just stage one with a cbe.

Finally! An opinion. I'm still curious as to what happened during this encounter.

So if he was stage 2, do you believe he would have pulled more on me? And it probably sounds like he just drove his basically stock WRX better than I did, even with 3 passengers? I don't know, that doesn't explain why he would pull on me when I hit 3rd, considering he had more weight and we were about even after the launch.
    2006 WRX TR

Could you hear his turbo more so than usual? If so, then he possibly was Stage 2...you can't really hear a pronounced woosh as much unless theres are larger downpipe when compared with Stock.

That COULD tell you some things about it...a dual pipe exhaust could have been a bosal, Borla hush, Stromung, Billy Boat, which means he probably has some knowledge of WRX's and what are good parts to put on them...so that might mean he knows what he's doing and would go Stage 2...

Also, spinning tires might point to elevated Torque numbers too...

those are just my thoughts
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    If he spun all 4 tires in 1st with 3 people in it, he was at least stage 2 and also did a clutch dump at the line.

FYI, launching in our AWD vehicles is a bit different than FWD or RWD. Wheel spin at launch is actually a good thing...depending on the method used to achieve the spin.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Too many unknown factors here.

If he was stock, then he is a better shifter than you.

If he was stage 2 then you were doomed from the start and only had a fleeting chance due to the weight discrepancy.
    Car-less

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Could you hear his turbo more so than usual? If so, then he possibly was Stage 2...you can't really hear a pronounced woosh as much unless theres are larger downpipe when compared with Stock.
    I couldn't hear it over his exhaust. Pretty loud and I heard the mean rumble.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    If he spun all 4 tires in 1st with 3 people in it, he was at least stage 2 and also did a clutch dump at the line.
    I think so, too. Three passengers is at least 350 pounds on me and he still pulled away. Can stock 2.5L WRXs spin tires on a launch? Just curious. Not that I'm planning on doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlas66 View Post
    If he was stage 2 then you were doomed from the start and only had a fleeting chance due to the weight discrepancy.
    Sounds about right. I agree. Still fun, though.
    2006 WRX TR

Quote Originally Posted by Bboy AJ View Post
    I couldn't hear it over his exhaust. Pretty loud and I heard the mean rumble.

I think so, too. Three passengers is at least 350 pounds on me and he still pulled away. Can stock 2.5L WRXs spin tires on a launch? Just curious. Not that I'm planning on doing it.
    Understandable on the exhaust...Jw...

But I know I can't spin wheels in my 07 STI, so I doubt a stock 2.5L WRX could. I get a little wheel hop...and then go...Thats all though and I'm stage 2...then again, I never completely really tried though. I've only launched at the track.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

But I know I can't spin wheels in my 07 STI, so I doubt a stock 2.5L WRX could. I get a little wheel hop...and then go...Thats all though and I'm stage 2...then again, I never completely really tried though. I've only launched at the track.
    You can spin on a stock WRX if you drive... crazy enough. My first attempted launch i spun like crazy damn stock tires, new tires and having learned my car no more but a slight crip now
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

i have an 07 wrx.when i was stock i was unable to spin all 4 wheels.but now im stage 2 and able to spin all 4 wheels.i launch from 4000rpm's feathering the clutch out.they dont spin long but just long enough from keeping the car from bogging down.

I Support ClubWRX

man...I could spin the tires in 2nd gear on my 04 stage 2 STi. Believe me, you can spin all 4 in an STi...no prob and with not a lot of abuse.

To the OP, he launched good and then pulled. He obvously had some mods. Practise and mod yourself = ftw.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

If i can spin all 4 tires on my 2L WRX then the 2.5L should do it too if not better. Although he might be eating his gears pretty soon if he keeps doing 4 wheel burnouts like that .
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

3 passengers is heavy! he definately was at least stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    I do have to admit that I cringe at the thought of launching any Subaru with that many people in it. Seems a bit self-destructive regardless of the mods. Weigh (pun intended) too much weight on the drivetrain with that many people.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!