Toyota Celica TRD? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Toyota Celica TRD? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yep, 240 is whp on some of the S/C'ed Solaras I've seen. I've gotten something lower than that, but I ...

Yep, 240 is whp on some of the S/C'ed Solaras I've seen. I've gotten something lower than that, but I still consider it pretty fun and fast. I'm just waiting to find a 5sp WRX that would race on a rolling start.
    I've been reading this forum for a while now cuz I'm doing some research for a friend of mine. He got a WRX and doesn't know much about fixing it up so I'm doing the research for him. Great forum btw and so far, I'm fascinated with your cars! I did wish that my friend listened to me and got a manual instead of the auto though, but it was still pretty fun to drive on the freeway.
    Anyway, don't underestimate a S/C'ed Camry or Solara 5sp... they can surprise you. Of course, you never have to worry about losing to one off the line... just yet. We have major wheel hop off the line and takes a while to get the big car rolling. Anyway, just fyi...
    -Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    I drive a 1988.5 Camry V6 5-speed (first year for the V6 in the Camry in the US). PlatinumWRX driven my car before a few years ago, back in his Olds Toronado days.

The 240 whp also comes from the TRD Cotton guaze filter & TRD muffler. Normally in N/A cars, those stuff will do jack for power. But with forced induction, I probably estimate a total of 10 whp gain (being optimistic). What did you dyno at? (5-speed or automatic)

Have you tried the LSD from Kazuma for around $1000 plus install?

I dyno'ed at around 222whp but it was around 93 degrees, so that could've made a difference. I do know that my friend with the 241whp has yet to beat me in a drag race though. Anyway, right now, he's waiting for the TRD lsd to come in and install that and his new clutch so he should be able to beat me then. But as for me, I don't exactly have the cash to dish out a thousand bucks for a lsd and around 600 for installation. With that money, I'd opt for a body kit or some lightweight wheels and stickier tires (my 18 inchers with tires weigh in at a hefty 55lbs!). But I do plan to finish off the car with the lsd probably from Quaife. I think that's the one I would go for. And I have a 5sp btw.
    -Brian

ill agree with some of you but the celica does have performance if you know how to drive it.
    its capable of 14.3's with just a cold air intake and unbolting the exhaust.
    quite a bit of people have hit 14.4's and 14.5's.
    i think its pretty fast if you run mid 14's dont you(especially from an 1.8L NA engine)
    people running a 50 shot of nos are in the mid 13's and ive seen a 13.1 with that 50 shot too(no bullsh*t).
    i have no problems staying about 6k(the second cam).
    people that have these cars that are driving like crap dont know how to drive the car to its maximum.
    a guy over on newcelica.org has video of his gts getting a 14.1.
    his names billybun and he has intake,exhaust,lsd(3 mods for 14.1's is awesome.
    give me feedback to what you guys think???
    not trying to make this ugly just talking and explaning things.
    there's are some turbo's and superchargers that are comming out that will make this car a beast.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    14.1,14.3...great, but it'll cost yah a fortune to get there. wrx can hit that stock or w/ mbc. ok well maybe not a fortune, but the celica stock costs as much as a wrx stock.

Ok people, I'm a 2000 celica owner, just wanted to reply. NO FLAMES INTENDED. First off, i gotta say that the WRX kicks ass! Not quite sure about the looks yet, but I test drove one last week, and it was very, very nice. My only issues were the dealer short-throw shifter (not used to it i guess), and the steering felt a little loose. Thats not to say it didn't haul balls around the turns (i was doing HARD circles in a snowy parking lot), the celica just feels nimbler. As to the previous posts, YES, the WRX will blow a GT-S away (especially off the line, you gotta love Turbo torque!!!). I've actually only got a GT, but i'im in the process of finalizing my loan for my turbo. What do you think of my chances afterwards? Turbo gives 240hp at the crank, btw. and the celica weighs 2500 lbs vs. 3000 lbs. But i'll be fwd, so i'm sure i'll have problems with traction. By pure power to weight, i should be much faster. What do you all think? And please, keep it civil.

My2kToy

i got my car for 22000 and have friends that got there car for 21000 something.
    for 1300 dollars you can get a custom exhaust, cai and lsd all installed and running close to those times.
    stock the lowest ive seen are 14.8's and 14.9's.
    people that cant stay on the second cam are around 15.4' and 15.5's

I've driven a Celica GT, but not the GT-S unfortunately. The test drive sucked because I had no where to really DRIVE the car, but the car did feel extremely light and nimble, and the brakes were nice (even with my sister and the salesman in the car). The engine left a little to be desired.

I just think the Celica is overpriced in general and you have to start with GT-S and then turbo it to see awesome acceleration.

The Celica GT was out my sister's price range and Nissan Sentra SE-R was SO in.

The Celica is too freaking small for me, too.

-Jim

tan
    Though I still have to say....the race track uses traction compounds to aid traction. And many put the seats, spare tires, and other junk back in, adding weight also, which will affect times.

Too bad the US never got the previous model Celica in the turbo AWD like the rest of the world. On looks alone it was very impressive and its performance was quite capable of backing the looks up.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    it seems that in the car industry, the U.S. gets screwed each time with the performance model cars that get exported everywhere but america. example: nissan skyline, subaru sti (for now), Mitsubishi evo (not for long), subaru blitzen..ahhhh...the list goes on, but im too tired right now to think

God
    Originally posted by my2ktoy
    I've actually only got a GT, but i'im in the process of finalizing my loan for my turbo. What do you think of my chances afterwards? Turbo gives 240hp at the crank, btw. and the celica weighs 2500 lbs vs. 3000 lbs. But i'll be fwd, so i'm sure i'll have problems with traction. By pure power to weight, i should be much faster. What do you all think? And please, keep it civil.

My2kToy
    Make sure to tune your car on the dyno and get those AF mixtures just right and yes you may be able to hang with some of us at higher speeds.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Originally posted by RNN14
    Too bad the US never got the previous model Celica in the turbo AWD like the rest of the world. On looks alone it was very impressive and its performance was quite capable of backing the looks up.
    Actually we did get the Turbo All-trac, but it didn't sell, so they pulled it quickly.

I think it was just overshadowed by the Supra, and at the time, we didn't know what we were getting.

US All-Trac

tan and I know someone with an all-trac turbo, but I wouldn't even think of talking to the guy since he and my b/f from school, Melissa broke off their engagement.

That is an awesome car. If I ever see on around in good shape for sale, I might pick it up.

-Jim

No I am referring to the model that came after that one. It had much better body lines, performance, aftermarket. The one in the pic you showed was the one from two versions ago. I will post a pic of the one that is always parked down the street from me as soon as I can get a chance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast