Beaten by a...semi-truck?!?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Beaten by a...semi-truck?!?! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yesterday we were returning home from a family vacation in my '07 WRX wagon. My wife was taking a turn ...

Nat

Beaten by a...semi-truck?!?!

Yesterday we were returning home from a family vacation in my '07 WRX wagon. My wife was taking a turn driving while I rested, when the 2-lane undivided highway spread to give us a passing lane around an 18-wheeler. She hasn't quite adopted that weird "downshifting" thing yet, so from a 55mph cruise in 5th she simply pressed on the gas pedal and made the car lug its way up from 1800rpm. By the time we were even with the semi's rear wheels we were going about 90mph and had run out of passing lane.

Six pots clamped hard onto four vented rotors, two kids jolted out of nap, one water bottle hurled into CD player, one pair of eyeglasses slid down my nose, six shakes of my head and two adults muttering, "Sh*t!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

CPC
    Nice story.
    It reminds me of this post that I think I will never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Brents View Post
    I've got 2 that stand out. My wife and I were on the way to the beach this past summer(Oak Island, NC). She was driving, I was sleeping. She wakes me up somewhere in NC and says, I think the guy beside us wants to race. 2 guys in an SRT-4, windows down, waving at her. Now she has been with me several times, and I thought knew what to do. I said well go then. She proceeds to give them a head nod, turn off the cruise and reach for what i thought was the gear shift. No, she turned off the AC, left it in 5th gear at 70 mph, and punches it. That neon walked us soo bad it was embarrassing!! Great wake me up to watch my car lose. I just turned over and went back to sleep.
    Cobb Stage 1 02 WRX

+1 to nice story! lol

I Support ClubWRX

Good show. Don't let teh wife drive again.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post

Good show. Don't let teh wife drive again.
    Maybe she thinks it has a semi-automatic transmission, like she only has to shift to get it up to speed but not after that?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Maybe she thinks it has a semi-automatic transmission, like she only has to shift to get it up to speed but not after that?
    My girlfriend holds a similar perspective on the mysteries of the manual transmission.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    -- Steven Wright

Banned
    lol. the sad part is the WRX is probably the easiest car to downshift in i ever drove.

downshift 4tw!

Man. 5th gear at 1500 rpm? lol.

hahahaha good story. I laughed.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

As a semi driver and a WRX owner, I can appreciate the horror that is this thread.

I may have a turbo as big as my butt and 500 HP, but I'm toting darn near 80,000 pounds of vehicle.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by e-merlin View Post
    As a semi driver and a WRX owner, I can appreciate the horror that is this thread.

I may have a turbo as big as my butt and 500 HP, but I'm toting darn near 80,000 pounds of vehicle.
    Yeah man, after our spaz attack that truck got out of Dodge pretty quickly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brents
    I've got 2 that stand out. My wife and I were on the way to the beach this past summer(Oak Island, NC). She was driving, I was sleeping. She wakes me up somewhere in NC and says, I think the guy beside us wants to race. 2 guys in an SRT-4, windows down, waving at her. Now she has been with me several times, and I thought knew what to do. I said well go then. She proceeds to give them a head nod, turn off the cruise and reach for what i thought was the gear shift. No, she turned off the AC, left it in 5th gear at 70 mph, and punches it. That neon walked us soo bad it was embarrassing!! Great wake me up to watch my car lose. I just turned over and went back to sleep.

That is too good
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

I Support ClubWRX
    First off, must be nice to have a wife that drives on trips. Apparently I unwittingly signed a pre-nup saying that I'd drive the family at all times.

My wife can "drive" a manual, but hasn't a clue about powerbands, gear ratios, etc. I let her drive my MR2T once years ago, and have managed to avoid having her behind the wheel of any of my turbocharged cars since.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    First off, must be nice to have a wife that drives on trips. Apparently I unwittingly signed a pre-nup saying that I'd drive the family at all times.

My wife can "drive" a manual, but hasn't a clue about powerbands, gear ratios, etc. I let her drive my MR2T once years ago, and have managed to avoid having her behind the wheel of any of my turbocharged cars since.
    I just lucked out, my girlfriend who i have been with for a while now and i always drive to baltimore and surrounding areas (hour plus drives) and her old buick was nondriveable in her eyes, so the WRX went everywhere... well she "knows how to drive stick" (she can drive in a parking lot) but no situation that matters. Well she finally got a new car thursday and though it isn't a gem it still is approved enough to be driven to Bmore

Nicest drive to Bmore on a Friday
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Banned

My friend (a girl, 18 yrs old) asked me if I could teach her to drive stick in my car... I had to mute the phone cause I laughed so hard...

I Support ClubWRX

Roffles.

My girlfriend is getting better at the concept of operating a manual, but it's frustrating not being able to explain the mechanical concepts that come intuitively to those of us with engineering/dude brains. IBsexist.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    -- Steven Wright

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast