Beaten by a...semi-truck?!?! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Beaten by a...semi-truck?!?! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Oh good lord... I know that road, in your wives defense the passing lanes arent THAT long, so a downshift ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh good lord... I know that road, in your wives defense the passing lanes arent THAT long, so a downshift is deffinately a must, maybe even into 3rd just to get it going!!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    While I wouldn't want to let my wife loose in teh STi on an Autox course I think she understands the mechanics of a manual transmission pretty well and can be trusted to downshift when necessary. Having said that it took patience and alot of "it's okay honey just push the clutch in and restart the car" to get her to that point.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    While I wouldn't want to let my wife loose in teh STi on an Autox course I think she understands the mechanics of a manual transmission pretty well and can be trusted to downshift when necessary. Having said that it took patience and alot of "it's okay honey just push the clutch in and restart the car" to get her to that point.
    ^^^ Best non-car, non-girl avatar ever.

I'd rather have a girl leave my heart on the floor than my second gear. No girls in the driver's side of the bugeye allowed! Unless they're stick-shift pros. Not like I am or anything, but at least if i effed up it'd be my car i'm destroying.

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    ^^Thanks.

She learned on my old 1990 Ford Rayngar. She then bought a brand new Dodge Dakota and stalled her way out of the lot and has since become proficient at shifting gears, while still not so proficient at driving in general.:P
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

My gf wants me to teach her on my Rex...but i always change the subject
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

My wife's not allowed to drive my car unless i'm drunk.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

My wife has driven a manual in the past, but she just doesn't care too any more. Every once in a while, she says something about driving a stick shift, but it never goes anywhere.

I'm fine with it, as it means there's never any question of her driving the Evo.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

My wife has never driven my wrx and she probably never will unless I have a old junker that I can teach her how to drive a stick. When I had my 03 civic si, I tried to teach her in a vacant Walmart parking lot in but after a killing it close to 10x trying to take off in first. I got so fustrated along with her, she just gave up. So I told her if and when the clutch is about ready to go I would teach her then so I would not have to replace the clutch early. My wife just couldn't understand how to give it gas and release the clutch pedal at the same time to allow the car to take off smoothly, let a lone work the gas, clutch, and shifter all at the same time....Oh well...
    Last edited by 06grayrex; 07-06-2007 at 07:43 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

lol thats hilarious

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06grayrex View Post
    My wife has never driven my wrx and she probably never will unless I have a old junker that I can teach her how to drive a stick. When I had my 03 civic si, I tried to teach her in a vacant Walmart parking lot in but after a killing it close to 10x trying to take off in first. I got so fustrated along with her, she just gave up. So I told her if and when the clutch is about ready to go I would teach her then so I would not have to replace the clutch early. My wife just couldn't understand how to give it gas and release the clutch pedal at the same time to allow the car to take off smoothly, let a lone work the gas, clutch, and shifter all at the same time....Oh well...
    To help with that, teach her to drive your car while she isnt wearring any shoes. It helps feel the engagement point of the clutch thru the pedal..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    To help with that, teach her to drive your car while she isnt wearring any shoes. It helps feel the engagement point of the clutch thru the pedal..
    Sounds like an idea...But then she might complain about getting her foot dirty..(joke)
    Last edited by 06grayrex; 07-08-2007 at 03:21 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Or pants for that matter

My girlfriend wants to learn on this WRX, but I just tell her that her legs wouldn't be strong enough to press in the clutch...she is ok with that excuse for now

D
    12.8 second 1/4 at 111mph

ohh man thats messed up

but my gf asked me if she could learn on my sti and i just looked at her like (like the wtf is wrong with you look) and we went out in the 95 saturn sc2 and she blew the motor forgeting to shift into second going 40. so its sitting at walmart collecting dust.
    Turbo Lag is just a courtesy head start.
    <==== dad's ltd. sti #300 of 800 (cobb stg 2 with TBE, spt intake and heat shield) magically fast!!!
    currently Stolen: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 6sp. CAI, DC sports strut tower bar, STS, headers.
    currently pissed that it was stolen 2/23/08 @ around 1:30ish

looking for a wrx or sti really soon after May 4th. less than 60k miles and less than 20k

Quote Originally Posted by devman52 View Post
    ohh man thats messed up

but my gf asked me if she could learn on my sti and i just looked at her like (like the wtf is wrong with you look) and we went out in the 95 saturn sc2 and she blew the motor forgeting to shift into second going 40. so its sitting at walmart collecting dust.
    ^^^^ But that does suck....And that is what I'm afraid of happening....
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    My wife's not allowed to drive my car unless i'm drunk.
    +1
    Billy
    352whp 365ftlbs P-R-E tuned
    12.32 @ 110mph (old dyno numbers 315/341)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.