wrx vs gli
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx vs gli within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am wanting to purchase car this fall and am debating between an 08 wrx or an 08 Jetta GLI ...

wrx vs gli

I am wanting to purchase car this fall and am debating between an 08 wrx or an 08 Jetta GLI

Figuring with the new body they will be about the same size...

WRX - Subaru reliability, all wheel drive (I do live at 10k feet in Colorado), Newest body style, I would probably go with the 5 door. Subaru Dealer close (40 miles away), A bit more Hp... Why only a 4spd auto???

GLI, My wife wont drive stick and GLI is availabile with NICE paddle shift, 33mpg on car on test drove for 3 days, proven safety, drove well on highway at 80mph (speed limit is 75mph)

I drive on Monday mornings 180 miles to work, then spend M-th out of town with a 2 mile drive to work once there, the on Fridays I drive back 180 miles. This is NOT going to happen long term, just probably the next year.

What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All depends what you want.

Seeing as you live in Colorado I would go with the wrx due to AWD. Plus the 08's will have more low-end torque, less lag, better throttle response, and a nicer interior... So it should be pretty liveable for that 180mi drive.

The obvious draw-back is the automatic 4spd. The GLI's paddle shifters are actually really nice and fun to drive with.

If you are going automatic, the GLI is the better choice all around, but I think the wrx will suit your needs better.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Get a manual WRX and teach your wife.

My roommate has an 04 GLI 6SPD and its a very nice car, sorta quick, but he has the Eagle F1 tires and the new ones are RE050's.

I would get the WRX. He wants out of the Jetta asap. He had to replace his clutch/flywheel after 9,000mi (in 13 months) and it sucks in the bad weather. Even w/ Winter tires.

AWD cannot be replaced or substituted.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I heard turbochargers do wonders at high altitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by gimme_cat View Post
    I heard turbochargers do wonders at high altitudes.
    Incase you were pushing them to the WRX...both cars have Turbos, just the GLI's is half the size.

I thought turbos do alot worse at high alt. Anyway my friend has an auto wrx and it ain't bad and is prob a better built trans. then the manual. The performance and drive will still be better then the GLI so who cares if it only has 4 speeds. The fastest wrx (850hp) uses a the wrx 4 speed auto.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by bcyb1029 View Post
    I thought turbos do alot worse at high alt. Anyway my friend has an auto wrx and it ain't bad and is prob a better built trans. then the manual. The performance and drive will still be better then the GLI so who cares if it only has 4 speeds. The fastest wrx (850hp) uses a the wrx 4 speed auto.

Turbo is the only way to go at altitude, the Turbo helps to compensate for less O2. My friend has a new civic SI and says it is night and day when he is home in Denver compared to lower altitude.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan

Sorry, what I meant was that a turbo car at high altitude will be alot slower then one at a low altitude.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by bcyb1029 View Post
    Sorry, what I meant was that a turbo car at high altitude will be alot slower then one at a low altitude.
    I agree that is what I have always heard. And yet he is saying that a Turbo is better at High Alt compared to NA.

^ I agree with that. Just a turbo car will be better at sea level.

Turbo is better a altitude for sure.... I just sold my last diesel truck (started with a 97 F350, then an 01 Excursion then an 05 GMC 5500 Topkick)... Diesel Turbos are where its at...

I test drove a 04 or WRX a few years ago and it was real nice.. I am hoping that the 2008s bring a bit better interior.

227 hp vs 200hp for the Jetta... The Jetta was pretty darn quick

I test drove an Si.... what a joke, I have to stay above 6500rpm to get what I paid for???? Pretty much a pain in the ass and not useful on the highway.

The Jetta was a nice road car and with 180 miles (2:45) its kinda important to be comfortable. So is kick butt air conditioning as its towards the desert where I am working (Grand Junction, CO)

As for the comment about teaching my wife stick obviously you ain't married.. Friday was my 11th anniversary... It isn't going to happen..

It would be nice to switch off cars with my wife, so I don't run one car into the ground. She only drive 1.2 miles to work every day.... in 2007 FJ cruiser

The is a Subaru forum... But Subaru all the way!

If you invest $500 dollars into the WRX(stage 2) you will have a real fast street car that would blow the GLI away along with stock evo's and Mustang GT's, GTO's( maybe not blow away these last three but you could beat them.) Now in reality you prob. won't use the padels alot and the wrx has AWD and is in my oppinion a better built car. The GLI has a better interior but to me that is secondary to performance and handling. Also my friend has a Jetta and that thing is not that good in the snow.

if shes got a cruiser, why not get yourself a 5mt wrx?

P.S. I'm married too, 4 years this month. She learned how, after lots of trys.

It's pretty clear... An NA car needs relies on vacuum to pull air in. At high altitude, there is less air, thus the engine sucks in less air, producing less power. In a turbo car, instead of relying on vacuum to suck air in, it relies on the turbo to force air in. Thus, at high altitudes, turbo cars have an easier time getting more air into the engine than NA cars.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.