Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WRX vs. RSX-S..first drive comparison

4K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  is2scooby 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally had the opportunity to drive the WRX and I must say I wasn't disappointed in the least (in case you haven't read my sig, I drive a RSX-S).

For reference, my roomate has a '97 M3 and his buddy has a beautiful white WRX. I've been bugging the guy to take me out and last night he finally must have gotten tired of hearing me and he just threw me the keys!

Anyway, I've never had any problems with the way the car looked - I love the styling in fact. So that's never been a bias for me.

I jumped in and immediately noticed the comfort of the seats. I know a lot of RSX'ers always say "well, we've got leather" but to be totally honest, I am not thrilled with our seats. The leather is cheap IMO and its not soft at all...I loved the "plushness" of the WRX's seat. It was much more comfortable IMO.

I started her up and put it in first...at this point, I encountered the only negative impression of the car IMO. I felt the gear box was a bit too "slushy" and the clutch felt too, um, slushy as well, but that's subjective. I have a short-shift adapter in my already short RSX-S gearbox and I've been driving Honda's for about 8 years now, so obviously the clutch was 100% subjective...I still would have liked some shorter throws in the Subbie, but that negative was shortly overcome by the abundance of positives.

Well, I drove out of my neighborhood trying to get accustomed to the car and just dropped the hammar in 2nd. Hearing the turbo's spool up and then going WOT was, ummmm, orgasmic? :eek: What an amazing sound! You guys are lucky to drive to that sweet melody everyday! I love my vtec engaging, but this is equally as nice, if not better IMO.

Anyway, dropped the hammer in 2nd and bam, I took it to about 6K and punched it into 3rd and the turbo's kept on going...what a feeling! Its so different than the RSX-S because the Subbie is so effortless...doesn't feel like its straining at all. The Type S, man, its like a screaming banshee and the effort is noticed, if that makes any sense.

I never had the opportunity to give it a go from a stop. I wasn't comfortable enough and I'm pretty anal about my friends cars. I won't redline or slam it off the line because its not my car! I would have to be 100% comfortable as well before I did something like that and I just wasn't acclimated to the car enough to warrant that.

Vs. the RSX-S my impression is this: though I did't get to WOT off the line, its blatantly obvious that the WRX is a better launcher (duh). Its a nice feeling to have all the power instantaniously go down to the ground and its comforting as well since its AWD.

I think vs. RSX-S the inherent advantage is off the line and once you take that lead, you'd never look back. I don't really feel that the WRX is that much stronger though 2nd and 3rd however...its a bit stronger, but honestly I think our 3rd gears match up fairly well. But its irrelevant - the WRX will take that 1-2 car lead off the line IMO and continue to slightly pull throughout the course of the race. The Type S doesn't have enough power, like let's say the Mustang GT, to make up that instant advantage. The fact that your turbos are also spooling at 3k rpms also gives you an advantage because you are immediately in your powerband whereas my powerband doesn't even remotely start until 4K and vtec doesn't engage until 5.8K rpms.

I have had the opportunity to drive my roomates E36 M3 and I must say in comparison to the WRX, stock vs. stock it would be very hard for the WRX to outrun it. The M3 simply has more power available at all times - I don't see the WRX hanging on to that one, given equal drivers, but that's not reality...anything can happenon the street.

In conclusion, my already wonderful impression of the WRX only got better through this test drive and we all got together afterwards and decided that we want to go to the track this summer and give 'em all a go.

My real life isn't similar to most of these message boards and I feel lucky - I love lots of cars and have had the opportunity to live vicariously through my friends :D Now we've got a '97 M3, a '02 RSX-S and an '02 WRX to have fun with. Sorry so long, just wanted to share.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Don't get a WRX for its power stock. Buy a WRX because you want to modify it and make it fast. A WRX is so much easier and cheaper to make fast compared to an RSX. There is no comparison.

Spend $100 and run 13s
Spend say $1000 and run low to mid 13s.
Spend a few grand and run 12s - without NOS
add a little shot of NOS and run 11s.

Thats something RSX guys can only dream of.

#4 ·
SGOSWRX said:
Don't get a WRX for its power stock. Buy a WRX because you want to modify it and make it fast. A WRX is so much easier and cheaper to make fast compared to an RSX. There is no comparison.

Spend $100 and run 13s
Spend say $1000 and run low to mid 13s.
Spend a few grand and run 12s - without NOS
add a little shot of NOS and run 11s.

Thats something RSX guys can only dream of.
Damn dude, I guess you TOTALLY missed the point of my PRAISEWORTHY post.

Let me recap my post for you:

Hey guys, I finally got a chance to drive the WRX and man, its awsome. I loved it. Stock vs. my car it gets off the line much better and would win in a 1/4 mile because of that advantage. It was better than I thought it was going to be and I'm glad I finally got to drive it

Now, let me recap your response:

My car is better than yours. Its much easier to modify. It has qualities that RSX drivers only dream of

Since you took the time to totally misconstrue what I posted, why don't you take some more time and do a search under my username. I have always been extremely objective about my car and its disadvantages. I've never implied anything short of what I just posted - it reinforced what I already knew!

Check some more and you'll then see that I've always supported the notion that the WRX is 10x easier and cheaper to modify. While you're at it, go to ClubRSX.com and check out my posts there and once again, you'll see that even though I drive the RSX-S I alwasy support reality which is the WRX is simply faster and easier to mod.

Oh yea, and in case you missed my last line, let me refresh your memory:

My real life isn't similar to most of these message boards and I feel lucky - I love lots of cars and have had the opportunity to live vicariously through my friends Now we've got a '97 M3, a '02 RSX-S and an '02 WRX to have fun with. Sorry so long, just wanted to share.

Thanks for turning this into a "my WRX is better than your RSX-S" though. I appreciate it.

#7 ·
Damn dude, I don't think SGOSWRX meant it the way you're taking it. He just meant that the WRX is really easy to modify and that it gives it a leg up on most of the other cars in its price range.

Anyways, nice write up. I enjoyed reading it.

#8 ·
ima RSX owner as well and im on clubrsx.com...i agree w\ smokey on this one, i used to work for subie so im accustom w\ all the advantages...but if you have a RSX w\ ECU, INTAKE, Motor mounts ( so you dont bog from 5k clutch drops), gasket..i think thats about it, you can run a solid 14.0-14.19...some guy has that setup on clubrsx.com..not bad, but yes the WRX does take mods 10x better..but thats a lil less than 1,500 in mods..costom exhuast from the headers and u've droped into 13's (high obviously) not bad for N\A..but i still have mad respect for the WRX alL around

#11 ·
silverscooby said:
Damn dude, I don't think SGOSWRX meant it the way you're taking it. He just meant that the WRX is really easy to modify and that it gives it a leg up on most of the other cars in its price range.

Anyways, nice write up. I enjoyed reading it.

The RSX is a good car. Unfortunately is sucks to modify.

If you like the way an RSX Type S looks and drives stock then buy it.

If you want a car to modify and make fast buy a WRX.

I go to the track almost everyweekend and I have yet to see a fast RSX Type S. At our local track , guys with modified RSXs are running well up in the 9s or slower. There was even one RSX Type S running a big list of mods + NOS and he still wasn't all that fast. He was running slower times than my WRX with only a $129 mbc.

#12 ·
SGOSWRX said:
The RSX is a good car. Unfortunately is sucks to modify.

If you like the way an RSX Type S looks and drives stock then buy it.

If you want a car to modify and make fast buy a WRX.

I go to the track almost everyweekend and I have yet to see a fast RSX Type S. At our local track , guys with modified RSXs are running well up in the 9s or slower. There was even one RSX Type S running a big list of mods + NOS and he still wasn't all that fast. He was running slower times than my WRX with only a $129 mbc.
I'm just trying to figure out how any of this is relevant to my original post, where I did nothing short of praise your car. I have said many, many times that the WRX is faster in the 1/4 mile and that it is easier to modify.

So why the hell are you bringing this up? Why in the world are you quoting track times? In any part of my post did I try to attempt to show that my car is somehow better than yours? Are you egging me on, because that's certainly what it seems like. I was writing my impressions of a car that I've always wanted to drive...and you had to turn this into "my car is better than yours." So tell me, is it because I drive a RSX-S? Or are you just in a bad mood and you want to start a fight?

To those that said "dude, I think you misinterpreted him" yea right...

#14 ·
03WRX83 said:
here we go again.. rsx vs wrx owners

can't you just get along
Yea, I've got something against the WRX...:rolleyes:

My first post, I really, really wanted to illicit a negative response from WRX owners. You know, that's why I said "In conclusion, my already wonderful impression of the WRX only got better through this test drive and we all got together afterwards and decided that we want to go to the track this summer and give 'em all a go."

Damn, what was I thinking?????

#17 ·
Great post smokey. Thanks for your comparo.

Try and ignore the dicks looking for a flame war.

Personally after driving the RSX I found it to be a very well balanced car... and the FF layout seems incredibly balanced, like the Integra.

It's a quintessential Acura, IMHO. Fit and finish and the way it drives. Love the seats... they are comfy but for racing they could be better in the support area. For long cruises I would take the "cheap leather".

Acura engineers and builds polished luxo sports coupes, Subaru builds people movers and rally cars, so I find it hard to try and b!tch about 1/4 mile performance with either car.

It makes more sense to me to try and appreciate the engineering that went into each car's respective goals.

#18 ·
smokey, should have worded what i meant different... this is what i meant to say.. Here we go again WRX vs RSX again.
I know you didn't start anything with the rex's, you had a very good analysis of the car, and take note i was the first to respond.

#19 ·
My point is that I am just summarizing.

We all know the RSX is a good car.
We all know that a RSX doesn't respond well to mods ( I don't care what anyone says - they don't )
We all know a stock WRX is faster 0-60mph
We all know they have very similar speed stock at speeds over 60mph.
We all know a WRX is easily modded and made much faster than an RSX.

I don't see whats wrong with that. This is a WRX website.
I'm just stating the facts.
That isn't starting a war.

I also sure over 1 year ago this was common knowledge.

#20 ·
SGOSWRX said:

I also sure over 1 year ago this was common knowledge.
Try saying this with me s-l-o-w-l-y now...C O N T E X T

What was the context to your points? Who was talking about modifications? Who was talking about speeds over 60mph?

If I had said "man, I think I could easily whoop the WRX after I test drove it" then maybe you'd have an ounce of context. But I didn't...I was simply stating MY IMPRESSIONS of the car, which once again I might add, were very positive.

You saw RSX-S and WRX mentioned in the same sentence and you just had to go and say all the stupid ass ricer **** that I see on ClubRSX all the time. Its so ****ing sad and juvenile. If anyone even mentions the WRX its flame wars pt. 1000. That's why I spend more time here...

So I'm asking you, what were you summarizing? Common knowledge, which I never even brought up, less tried to refute. If you're looking to fight about their performance, I'm not going to take the bait. I'm very realistic about my car and its abilities...I'm sorry you just can't take a post for what it is and instead see an opportunity to flame.

Oh well...

#22 ·
SGOSWRX said:
My point is that I am just summarizing.

We all know the RSX is a good car.
We all know that a RSX doesn't respond well to mods ( I don't care what anyone says - they don't )
We all know a stock WRX is faster 0-60mph
We all know they have very similar speed stock at speeds over 60mph.
We all know a WRX is easily modded and made much faster than an RSX.

shut the **** up already,he never said any thing bad about the wrx,he never said it wasn`t faster,he never said it wasn`t easier to mod,wipe that **** off your face,you`re starting to stink

#23 ·
I have read many a post by Smokey and he has been nothing short of honest with all of his posts. I cannot stand that people always jump on his back because he drives a Honda, which has made him defensive, which is a pile of crap. Good review Smokey and don't mind some of the people here who do not appreciate your non-WRX owner opinion. I do and many others do as well.

-joe

#24 · (Edited)
SpeedKills said:
shut the **** up already,he never said any thing bad about the wrx,he never said it wasn`t faster,he never said it wasn`t easier to mod,wipe that **** off your face,you`re starting to stink

I will not resort to acking like a little kid on the internet.
I never called anyone any names or said anything bad about anyone. I stopped doing that back in Middle school.
I only made some honest comments comparing an RSX to a WRX.

I make some comments comparing a WRX to an RSX and you get upset and start attacking me?

I would hate to see you when something really serious happens in your life if you get this upset over an RSX vs WRX comparison.

#26 ·
That was a very good read for me also. My sister is considering picking up an RSX herself (She seems to be obsessed with the Mugen Bodykit after seeing it in one of my mags), so it should be interseting for me to drive the RSX soon and find out what it is about....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.