06 wrx or 06 stang gt? - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 wrx or 06 stang gt? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Geese1 +1... wow, that thing is a brute! If I were doing more highway driving, I'd probably ...

Quote Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
    +1... wow, that thing is a brute!

If I were doing more highway driving, I'd probably find myself in a GTO rather than the Evo. Since it's more of a weekend car, the RWD wouldn't bother me, even up here in Pennsylvania. The only thing that really held me back was that I wanted something with more handling finesse, which put the Goat behind the Evo and STI when shopping for a car last year.
    For $30k I would still probably go EVO/STi over the GTO because of braking and handling, but if you don't "need" the RWD, the GTO is much better than the wrx IMO.

I have friends with GTO's but never cared too much for them. I rode in a stock LS1 GTO and thought it was impressive for an "American" car, but nothing special. Later on I raced an LS2 GTO w/ bolt on's in my very low 13'sec protuned wrx and was absolutely RAPED! Then I started reading more about them and rode in that same GTO that was "meh" but now it had full bolt on's, cam, and tune, suspension and it surprised the freaking hell out of me.

Anyways.... I want a GTO

I think there is a still a part of Brian that wishes he had gotten the GTO over his Evo... Even though his Evo moves at light-speed.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Not to put a damper on all this GTO talk but I think I'd rather have a C5 Z06 over a LS1 GTO atleast.

I dont know anything about the LS2 GTO's so I dont want to include them...but I think if I didnt have to deal with snow (as stated several times) I'd be a young vette owner.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Not to put a damper on all this GTO talk but I think I'd rather have a C5 Z06 over a LS1 GTO atleast.

I dont know anything about the LS2 GTO's so I dont want to include them...but I think if I didnt have to deal with snow (as stated several times) I'd be a young vette owner.
    C5 Z06 is definitely a better car than the GTO.

I think the OP wants a relatively newer car though since this will be a daily driver. A C5 Z06 will have a good amount of miles and be older to fit that $20k price range. You can get 04' GTO's for that price with less then 25,000 miles.
    If he can find a good condition C5 Z06 then I say go for it.

Even a C5 would be a good choice though. Modded C5's are very nice cars.
    Just call me Clark Kent

yup this car shall be my daily. anyways, here's an update: my gf just found an awesome deal on a 04 mustang mach 1. she's urging me to get it! that thing is a monster of a car. anyways, it's red, w/ only 19k miles and being sold for $22k.

it's now a match up between the gto and mach 1.

gto pros:
    - luxurious interior
    - spacious backseat
    - 87 octane fuel
    - low key styling aka non cop magnet styling
    - feels very refined, nice fit and finish
    - euro sports car feel
    - powerful ls1 vette motor

cons:
    - low key styling, lol
    - somewhat small trunk. it's not incredibly bad though

mach 1 pros:
    - FAST! 1/4 mile times are about 13.3, STi territory =P
    - 2 mpg better than the gto =P
    - bigger trunk than gto
    - 87 octane fuel
    - rare, only 7k produced if i remember correctly

cons:
    - mustangs had never had great interiors
    - most people would mistake it just for a regular mustang, only car enthusiast would know the difference

and let's throw in the 350z just for the comparo, because it's crossed my mind a few times. my heart is still set on the gto though. you've just got to really reasarch before jumping into a car y'know.

350z pros:
    - great handling
    - roughly as fast as the gto in the quarter
    - best looker out of these 3
    - probably the most reliable out of these 3
    - holds it's value the best out of the 3
    - refined, great fit and finish
    - slightly better gas mileage.... yet offset by price of 93 octane gas

350z cons:
    - no backseat (i mostly use my backseat as a 'shelf' and i like the space)
    - trunk... that's a trunk? ... lol, well it's not that bad
    - finding one in the 20k range with roughly the same mileage as a gto or mach 1 will be harder
    - 93 octance fuel
    - not as much torque as the other cars, but makes up for it in being the lightest

these are my final 3 picks. tough decision. i'm taking it all in and swimming in my thoughts, trying to come to a decision. i'm still in favor of the gto.
    Last edited by jaded seconds; 05-30-2007 at 04:08 PM.

$22,000 for an 04' mach1 seems like a bit much. You can get an 04' GT for ~ $16,000 and add exhaust/header/intake and have it be just as fast.

By buddy bought a BRAND NEW one in 04' for $27,000. They are pretty quick, but it is basically like GT with minor bolt on's. That means modding it will not net as much gain.
    Not to mention the interior is pretty crappy.

350Z is another good choice. I think that would all hinge on wether or not you need a backseat.

Test drive a 350Z and see how it compares. I wouldn't buy that Mach1 though. You paying A LOT of extra money over a GT for relatively little more than a GT offers you.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Seems like you're looking at alot of published 1/4 times and such. Consider for one minute the real world. RWD cars do usually net higher traps and if you plan on spending lots of times at the drags, great. I bet though you'll be tempted to race between lights a few times, this is where "street credit" gets won. Look at this slip, this was against a ls1gto, loud as hell exhaust. I pulled a car and a half off the launch, and i bogged a little. I still had him at the 1/8, and only nearing the 1000ft did he pass me. Most street races are over long before he caught me. Also, this was only my second time at the track, one i'm a better driver, i'll lower my e/t several tenths. I also need to remove my spare tire, tools and not race with a full tank of gas. I'm a n00b. Anyways, real world numbers are quite different from what i've encountered. I'm #549
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it would take VERY little money to mod a GTO to kill a STI (stock-stage 2) in a drag race. Just toss on a blower and work the suspension some (drag radials) and it's likely a different turn out...Or the GTO might have been a bad driver who knows.

The cars are VERY close in stock form and it's usually cheaper to mod a v8 for more power.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    Seems like you're looking at alot of published 1/4 times and such. Consider for one minute the real world. RWD cars do usually net higher traps and if you plan on spending lots of times at the drags, great. I bet though you'll be tempted to race between lights a few times, this is where "street credit" gets won. Look at this slip, this was against a ls1gto, loud as hell exhaust. I pulled a car and a half off the launch, and i bogged a little. I still had him at the 1/8, and only nearing the 1000ft did he pass me. Most street races are over long before he caught me. Also, this was only my second time at the track, one i'm a better driver, i'll lower my e/t several tenths. I also need to remove my spare tire, tools and not race with a full tank of gas. I'm a n00b. Anyways, real world numbers are quite different from what i've encountered. I'm #549
    I am not sure I totally understand your point.

Who is concerned with only racing stop light to stop light and 1/8 mile, etc... The original poster expressed his like for how the GTO was instant throttle power and raw torque.

But if you want to play the 1/4mile game.... That LS1 GTO you raced that went 13.4 @ 108 probably had nothing more done than just intake and exhaust. Add in full headers, cam, and a tune and you talking about a mid-low 12sec @ 112+ car. And that "is" street, mind you... meaning street tires. Add some DR's and he could nail 11's.

I don't want to argue the who is faster thing. But when talking about drag racing you speak as if the WRX/STi has the upper hand. There are tons of GTO's with blowers and turbos hitting 11's consistantly and street driven with less than $5,000 worth of total work.
    Just call me Clark Kent

My point was just to look beyond "published" performance #'s. I was just giving my opinion that the STi was a better all around car and barring $5000 in mods, would get the jump on the cars he's considering.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    My point was just to look beyond "published" performance #'s. I was just giving my opinion that the STi was a better all around car and barring $5000 in mods, would get the jump on the cars he's considering.
    1) He cannot afford an STI. So your point is rather moot.

2) We are looking at "well-rounded" aspects, hence why many here have commented on how the GTO would be better than the Mustang since the GTO handles better, has larger back seats, a nicer interior, better tranny, and a better topend motor.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I'm pretty sure he's gonna go with the Goat.

And another thing, its being discontinued i think this year, but they're coming back in '09. So that means for the next couple years you'll have that "rare" aspect that you were talking about with the Mach 1 rustang.

Man up, and get the GTO. You won't be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by jaded seconds View Post
    yup this car shall be my daily. anyways, here's an update: my gf just found an awesome deal on a 04 mustang mach 1. she's urging me to get it! that thing is a monster of a car. anyways, it's red, w/ only 19k miles and being sold for $22k.

it's now a match up between the gto and mach 1.

gto pros:
    - luxurious interior
    - spacious backseat
    - 87 octane fuel
    - low key styling aka non cop magnet styling
    - feels very refined, nice fit and finish
    - euro sports car feel
    - powerful ls1 vette motor

cons:
    - low key styling, lol
    - somewhat small trunk. it's not incredibly bad though

mach 1 pros:
    - FAST! 1/4 mile times are about 13.3, STi territory =P
    - 2 mpg better than the gto =P
    - bigger trunk than gto
    - 87 octane fuel
    - rare, only 7k produced if i remember correctly

cons:
    - mustangs had never had great interiors
    - most people would mistake it just for a regular mustang, only car enthusiast would know the difference

and let's throw in the 350z just for the comparo, because it's crossed my mind a few times. my heart is still set on the gto though. you've just got to really reasarch before jumping into a car y'know.

350z pros:
    - great handling
    - roughly as fast as the gto in the quarter
    - best looker out of these 3
    - probably the most reliable out of these 3
    - holds it's value the best out of the 3
    - refined, great fit and finish
    - slightly better gas mileage.... yet offset by price of 93 octane gas

350z cons:
    - no backseat (i mostly use my backseat as a 'shelf' and i like the space)
    - trunk... that's a trunk? ... lol, well it's not that bad
    - finding one in the 20k range with roughly the same mileage as a gto or mach 1 will be harder
    - 93 octance fuel
    - not as much torque as the other cars, but makes up for it in being the lightest

these are my final 3 picks. tough decision. i'm taking it all in and swimming in my thoughts, trying to come to a decision. i'm still in favor of the gto.
    here's another curveball for you. how about a used G35 coupe or sedan with the 6mt? oh man.
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

He cannot afford an STi currently, maybe someone is trading one in right now that he can afford. But i guess you're right, my OPINION is WRONG. Sorry to have wasted everybody's time.

Quote Originally Posted by fenderwrx View Post
    here's another curveball for you. how about a used G35 coupe or sedan with the 6mt? oh man.
    Also good suggestions. But maybe not sporty enough for what he wants, and short of boost, those cars are not very modable.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by fenderwrx View Post
    used G35 ftw.. you get some baller status and a decent get up and go
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.