06 wrx or 06 stang gt? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 wrx or 06 stang gt? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The mustang is really a nice car, and will make 300rwhp with just a CAI and wideband tuner, with a ...

The mustang is really a nice car, and will make 300rwhp with just a CAI and wideband tuner, with a 4.10 rear end and some suspension you will be high 12s or better, with drag radials even faster. the mileage sucks ass, my dads shelby gt gets 15 city and 20 highway

That being said, instead of getting a new mustang i'd do what 302 said, a C5 Z06. They are just rediculous, easy to mod, fast as hell, and surprisingly awesome gas mileage, my dads C5 Z06 gets 28mph highway and like 20 city, all the while pushing 447rwhp,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well if were throwing out other suggestion in the $20k range then:

C5 Z06: Stupid fast, awesome handling/breaking.. but no back seat.

03 Cobra Terminator: Modability beyond your wildest dreams, sex on wheels aggressiveness, but hard to find (maybe impossible) for $20k.

Low mileage C5: Quick and composed. Can be modded into a monster for very little.

GTO: Cheap, nice interior, and easy to mod.

S2000 + supercharger: Not a lot of lowend, but sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun.

If I lived in FL I would probably take anyone of the above cars over a wrx.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

good words, dtr rex! GTO, completely slipped my mind, due to the fact i thought it'd be out of my 20k price range. just checked out the inventory at some dealers... boy was i wrong.

anyways, i'm going to be doing some test driving tommorrow afternoon. the cars i'll be driving are the gto, wrx, stang gt. fun day coming up.

the gto i'm checking out is an 04 w/ 24k miles, $20k. probably someone's previous garage queen with those low miles.

so out of those 3 cars, the wrx, stang gt, and gto. what's your pick?
    Last edited by jaded seconds; 05-28-2007 at 03:44 PM.

my friend just got a GTO and was also looking for a WRX. The gto is a great car but is terrible with gas, that is his regrete. What would effect my decision is how much are you looking to mod. If you plan on doing minor mods get the gto or stang. If you plan on doing more extensive mods I would without a doubt pick the wrx because a wrx can be a very streetable race car, were as the others you are sacrificing alot drivabilty with your mods. The GTO is in my oppinion better then the mustang because of the LS1 platform and the amazing interior, but it doesn't look as good on the exterior as the mustang or WRX. So if you are going mod alot get a WRX, if not get a GTO and a gas card. But the most practicle choice is the WRX no matter what. It is one of the safest cars in the US and gets amazing fuel economy along with alot of power.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by jaded seconds View Post

so out of those 3 cars, the wrx, stang gt, and gto. what's your pick?
    Again, the WRX is a nice car, but it has a lot of flaws and the AWD helps make up for those flaws... but in somewhere like FL, the ability for AWD to compensate is not there as much.

Of course, test driving is the biggest thing, but I would probably take the GTO. The biggest downfall of the GTO is how it kinda looks like a Cavalier on steriods... Whereas the stang looks pretty good.

Other than that though, the GTO has a better transmission (6spd manual), has a better motor (LS1 is one of the best motors ever built), and a nicer interior. The GTO is not even really an American car, which alone warrants some props.

I see the Mustang and GTO as being very similar. 2-door coupe, V8, RWD, etc... Since your going with the 04' it is the LS1 GTO and will be slower than the Mustang in stock form. However, minor mods like intake, header, exhaust, tune will wake that car up like nothing else... And they are known for handling quite well. Not to mention you don't see them on every corner like you do the mustang.

Tough choice between the GTO and Stang GT.

For me, the GTO would win out.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by bcyb1029 View Post
    my friend just got a GTO and was also looking for a WRX. The gto is a great car but is terrible with gas, that is his regrete. What would effect my decision is how much are you looking to mod. If you plan on doing minor mods get the gto or stang. If you plan on doing more extensive mods I would without a doubt pick the wrx because a wrx can be a very streetable race car, were as the others you are sacrificing alot drivabilty with your mods. The GTO is in my oppinion better then the mustang because of the LS1 platform and the amazing interior, but it doesn't look as good on the exterior as the mustang or WRX. So if you are going mod alot get a WRX, if not get a GTO and a gas card. But the most practicle choice is the WRX no matter what. It is one of the safest cars in the US and gets amazing fuel economy along with alot of power.
    Interesting.

Since when did the wrx get "amazing" fuel economy?

And since when did the GTO become "terrible" with gas? The LS1 motors regularly see low 20's for normal driving and damn near 27-30 on the highway with a 6spd.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Banned
    ive had an 02 stang and my dad has a 10 second cobra .. i now have a stage 2 wrx ..since you are in florida it wont be any hassle owning a RWD car .. you shouldent ask the question u are on a wrx forum .. ppl have way to much pride for their cars here lol

06 mustang = ugly as hell ... loud ... reliability goes around 80 k where subys can hit 100 k without nethin major ... everyone has a mustang

subaru = ive had both cars .. wrx alot funner to drive ... turbo > muscle imo .. incase ur pool floods the AWD is better in rain .. nicer looking car

yeh i feel cool with my dads 540 rwp stang but i cannot stand how loud it is sometimes and how everyone has a mustang ... i def feel alot better and would take my wrx on roadtrips and to the local party imo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Interesting.

And since when did the GTO become "terrible" with gas? The LS1 motors regularly see low 20's for normal driving and damn near 27-30 on the highway with a 6spd.
    yeh i agree with you gtr .. lol i get pretty good gas mileage for my wrx but i dont take the car past 3 rpm unless im really bored .. however i see how ppl are fiends for boost .. thats wen the gas is like

Interesting.

If a GTO gets great fuel economy then why does the government make you pay $1,300 dollars for a gas guzzlers fee when you buy one? One of the few drawbacks to getting a GTO is there is no trunk room, it can fit one golf bag and thats it. This is because the GTO was originally made for sale in Australia and in order to bring the car to the US they had to reposition the gas tank from under the rear seat to behind it in the trunk.
    And I took the liberty of getting these of GM's.

GTO- * 6.0L automatic: 16/21 (city/highway mpg)
    * 6.0L manual: 17/25 (city/highway mpg)
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

i dont really care what the government has to say about the LS7 fuel milage on the new GTO's

on the highway you can and will get 28mpg in 6th gear at 70mph

even with city only, you can run a higher gear at lower RPM's when youre driving around because the vehicle has so much torque, thats the major problem with the wrx in the city, it has no balls out of boost so you always gotta downshift up small hills and the like

How much are you looking to spend in the aftermarket? I happen to love the mustang but these cars are hard to compare because of the diff. The mustang has very comfortable front seats but no room in back. The WRX has more race enspired seats that are less comfortable but will keep you planted in the corners and also has functional back seats. WRX insurance will be alot less. Fuel economy is alot better with a wrx 28mpg. The wrx has the ability to handle in the twisties. AWD>RWD, if you live were it snows it is no contest, nothing more fun the a wrx in snow. As for modding it is dif. then a mustang. Your first mods should be a reliable engine management system and a turbo back exhaust. With the aid of a pro-tune you can run low to mid 13's all day for about $1000 if you buy cheap. I think the WRX is alot more fun to drive because of the way it handles in daily driving(can be a racecar and perfectly streetable). I think the WRX looks better when it is lowered and has a lip, alot better. Also mustangs are becoming a dime a dozzen and having a rarer car is fun. If I were in your situation I would def. pick the WRX if you planned on modding it. I assume you posted this in a mustang forum and I am interested in there responses because they don't seem to like us, and they severly under est. the power of our little 4cyl. I love my car and wouldn't trade it in for anything else but maybe an STI or some upscale exotic which I could never afford but for what ever reason the owner wants to trade for my used WRX. The last thing I have to say is owning a WRX is like being in a fraternity, we all wave to each other, help each other out in the forums, and are always happy to see another Subie at a meet or in a parking lot.
    although, RWD>AWD in the twisties in many cases. E30 M3 is case closed, one of my favorite handling cars ever. I've never ridden in a car and felt so awesome about twisties.
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

In Florida Mustang's are a dime a dozen. Even really nice ones with lots of horsepower and loud exhausts dont get a second look. I've actually gotten a lot of compliments and interest in my WRX. And there's something about that hood scoop being in your view when you're driving...it makes me smile. There are a lot of curvy roads and dirt roads in Florida and we do get quite a bit of rain for the "sunshine state" title. Its really up to you, but I have a nice, dependable car that I dont have to spend every weekend I have working on. My last car was a Ford and I'll never get another. Subaru hands down.

I like the sound of a nicely tuned mustang...but the grumble of a boxer is very attractive. I can drive down the road and actually hold a conversation or listen to music...which is a lot more than most mustang drivers around here can say. And usually Mustang drivers are hotheads...not that a lot of Subaru drivers aren't, but at least we're nice to each other . Thats whats cool about Subaru drivers. When we pull up next to each other at a light or drive beside each other in traffic its not a engine revving contest or a flyby...its "hey, nice car" or a wave. With Subaru its not only a good driving experience every time you sit behind the wheel, its a community.

As for the GTO I cant really say, but I have a friend who has this 01 Grand Am that he got with 80,000 and he just beats the living crap out of all the time and it still runs great with 120,000 miles on it. The suspension's shot, but the engine's still going. Might not sound like it all that great, but he put most of those on in a year and that was dogging it...big time.

In the end its your call, but I much prefer the Subaru community to the Mustang.
    Last edited by Impreza WRX; 05-28-2007 at 09:37 PM.

If a GTO gets great fuel economy then why does the government make you pay $1,300 dollars for a gas guzzlers fee when you buy one? One of the few drawbacks to getting a GTO is there is no trunk room, it can fit one golf bag and thats it. This is because the GTO was originally made for sale in Australia and in order to bring the car to the US they had to reposition the gas tank from under the rear seat to behind it in the trunk.
    And I took the liberty of getting these of GM's.

GTO- * 6.0L automatic: 16/21 (city/highway mpg)
    * 6.0L manual: 17/25 (city/highway mpg)
    If I trusted the government on everything they said, I would be fat, weak, and stupid.

I know a lot of local guys with GTO's and am pretty versed on the vehicle. The LS1 GTO w/ 6MT will pull 19-21 city and 27/28 highway regularly. This is not uncommon, just go check the GTO boards.

The same motor has been used (in small variants of course) in the T/A, Z28, SS, C5, C6, etc.. and all get raved about for getting good gas mileage for such a huge motor. That is one of the best parts of the LS1 6MT drivetrain.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I test drove a Mustang after getting my WRX and before getting the Z. It definitely felt like it had more power than either of them, but I didn't like the way the steering or handling felt, and I wasn't sold on the looks. The handling could probably have been "fixed" with mods. Between a WRX and a Mustang I'm not sure what I'd choose, but probably the WRX. Both are good choices in their own ways.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 05-28-2007 at 10:37 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I still vote for GTO.

I don't think there is a better choice for the money.

Decently quick stock, fast with VERY little money put in, sounds great, large back seats for a coupe, nice interior, good handling and good braking. Go youtube some vids of GTO's with cam, IM, header, exhaust and tune.... They are freaking BEASTS.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast