z disappointment - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on z disappointment within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by cavallino333 Wow this thread took off fast. I thought the Z felt faster than my 05 WRX ...

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    Wow this thread took off fast.

I thought the Z felt faster than my 05 WRX and I preferred the more linear power. The Turbo power does make the WRX feel more agressive. It feels just as "connected" as the WRX IMO, I think the transmission is great. The only thing I don't like is the weight of the clutch. Call me crazy but I like a clutch thats a little heavier and the WRX wasn't a heavy clutch but it had a nice weight to it. Obviously I liked the Z better but their both really different cars.

However I must say that the car isn't as heavy or expensive as everyone seems to think. Sure if you get a touring level roadster you'll be paying high 30's to low 40's+ for a hefty car, but buy a base or enthusiast coupe for under 26-29K and your only weighing in at about 3200-3300lb. Not light but then again every new car is
    pretty damn heavy anymore.

What sold me on the Z was the better low end torque, the handling, and the consistency (no more heat soak).

At the end of the day its all a matter of opinion.

I got some mods coming soon that should spice things up a bit too.
    i hope you keep it NA... all my friends have gone turbo. Brian Crower makes a nice 4.1L Stroker kit for yours...

that or swap a VK in it like on Ramana Lagermann's Formula D Maxxis Z... that thing is SICK!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX View Post
    i hope you keep it NA... all my friends have gone turbo. Brian Crower makes a nice 4.1L Stroker kit for yours...

that or swap a VK in it like on Ramana Lagermann's Formula D Maxxis Z... that thing is SICK!!!
    Yeah it'll definitely stay NA, not as much power but going TT/SC A. isn't in the budget B. doesn't really have the reliability I'd be comfortable with.

Right now I'm just getting s NISMO LSD and a 3.9 final driver which is supposed to work well for people staying NA. It'll probably be a while before I get to stoker kits. haha.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 05-23-2007 at 01:59 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Banned
    I can't wait for my THC injection. It definataly lags in the early morning.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wasn't trying to say it was light, I think people just go overboard with and make it sound like it's some lumbering 4000lb behemoth. It certainly doesn't feel like its heavy at least not to me.

In some ways a little extra weight is nice, I don't have to worry about denting a paper thing roof skin anymore.
    Well its no Audi weight wise, but in the world of sports cars, Mrs. Z is a little tubby. Not saying it at all was a bad car again, I drove one and it was nice.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Well its no Audi weight wise, but in the world of sports cars, Mrs. Z is a little tubby. Not saying it at all was a bad car again, I drove one and it was nice.
    Thats fair.

I think if they had sold it with a higher starting price we might have seen a lighter car, it has allot of power for the money and I guess they probably had to cut somewhere to keep the cost down. It is pretty much the cheapest way to get a sports car. I think they spent allot of the money on getting the power out of the engine and getting the handling down and not allot of money on trying to use lighter weight materials. The wheels are pretty damn heavy and I've heard theres a 2lb weight in the hatch to make it easier to close.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 05-23-2007 at 02:14 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

Yeah it'll definitely stay NA, not as much power but going TT/SC A. isn't in the budget B. doesn't really have the reliability I'd be comfortable with.

Right now I'm just getting s NISMO LSD and a 3.9 final driver which is supposed to work well for people staying NA. It'll probably be a while before I get to stoker kits. haha.
    darn... lol. i don't blame you... its not exactly cheap either.

that'll work out nicely, though. full exhaust, intake, plenum spacer, cams, and ecu should suffice for a nicely tuned NA. when you pick cams, I got a tip for ya... go BIG! nothing wrong with a lumpy idle, right?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is that the 5.7l Titan V8? I saw that at SEMA 2005 and was like WTF?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    darn... lol. i don't blame you... its not exactly cheap either.

that'll work out nicely, though. full exhaust, intake, plenum spacer, cams, and ecu should suffice for a nicely tuned NA. when you pick cams, I got a tip for ya... go BIG! nothing wrong with a lumpy idle, right?
    What about Arnold's smog checks at idle though? They'd start after 6 years for a new Z but right away for a used car, and then every 2. I doubt a big-cammed car would pass?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What about Arnold's smog checks at idle though? They'd start after 6 years for a new Z but right away for a used car, and then every 2. I doubt a big-cammed car would pass?
    Too big wouldn't pass. I had a decent sized one in my 97 VW NA along with a built motor and it passed with flying colors. It loped pretty good at idle. People used to think there was something wrong with my car, cause of the cam and I had solid engine mounts so the whole front of the car would shake, I'd tell them "yeah I paid extra for that."
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    People used to think there was something wrong with my car, cause of the cam and I had solid engine mounts so the whole front of the car would shake, I'd tell them "yeah I paid extra for that."

By the time I get around doing cams etc it'll probably be so old it won't need to be smogged anymore.
    FORZA FERRARI

Cav - good call on staying N/A, I honestly feel the same way. I'm looking forward to hearing your results with the 3.9fd.

For my own Z, I'm waiting for Cobb to release their AP. I've got a set of UR pulleys at home which were shipped to my brother on accident when he was ordering parts for his Spec-V. The parts were free, but I'm not comfortable with putting them on for such a small gain (10hp) at the price of decreasing the natural vibration damping the heavier OEM pulleys create. I would rather get the same gains from I/H/E type mods. Plenum spacer, headers, and an aftermarket catless exhaust is what I would like to do eventually. For now though, milking my 7 year/70k mile warranty(extended) for all it's worth. My car is a 2005(bought it in march 2005) with roughly 22,000 miles on it.

The 350Z is a solid car, easy to drive at 7/10th's for just about anyone. The visual design aspect of the car is a big thing, I'm still not tired of looking at it. The factory exhaust sounds great - and aftermarket exhausts don't make a great deal of power over stock while N/A. This shows how well tuned the stock exhaust system is. The car is very well balanced for it's weight, I've been in quite a few "oh shizznit" type situations where the car was able to respond to driver inputs and remain controllable even when disrupted from normal composure. It honestly reminds me alot of my 3rd gen F-body after I had modded it with a th350 trans, holley 650dbl pmpr, b&m shift kit, edelbrock intake, headers, and flowmaster exhaust. Main difference being that my Z28 liked to overheat, and was the 'fastest thing between two gas stations' at 12-14mpg - whereas my 350z gets 22mpg on average, and as low as 17mpg while driving it like I stole it, or 29mpg while driving like an old man. The only upgrade I've done to my Z is HawkHPS pads and Eagle F1-GSD3's. It's a great car stock. My WRX out performs it in nearly every possible way, but it took 12k (8k in parts/4k in labor) to get it where it is. Had I thrown the same amount of money at my Z, I'd be playing with a built TT Z. I simply felt more comfortable modding the WRX which has no warranty, as opposed to the Z which does.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I'm looking forward to hearing your results with the 3.9fd.
    Yeah I'm hoping to have it all here and installed before July. I'm ordering it from 350evo.com and unfortunately they didn't have any more NISMO LSD's and have to ship more in from Japan.
    FORZA FERRARI

I also agree on the staying N/A thing. Boost is cool, but unless you have a lot spair cash around, it is not worth it.

The new Z's will already run consistant mid 13's and with your LSD, FDR, ECU and some bolt on's I am sure you could move that thing into the high 12's.
    I am interested to see what Cobbs AP for the 350Z will do.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I am interested to see what Cobbs AP for the 350Z will do.
    Yeah it should be good. Maybe that will be my next thing.
    FORZA FERRARI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.