WRX vs VR6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs VR6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had a run in with an older type of jetta. It looked totally stock. But it was really fast. ...

Thumbs up WRX vs VR6

I had a run in with an older type of jetta. It looked totally stock. But it was really fast. We didnt actually race but we both took off rolling in 1st gear. We were neck and neck. I dont know much about the cars , but he said he had a Vr6 running 10 pounds of boost. Props to that guy for a bad ass sleeper. Ive got alot of work done including RA gears, cltuch flywheel, vf -34, intercooler, open exhaust...ect.
    My money pit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flabele View Post
    I had a run in with an older type of jetta. It looked totally stock. But it was really fast. We didnt actually race but we both took off rolling in 1st gear. We were neck and neck. I dont know much about the cars , but he said he had a Vr6 running 10 pounds of boost. Props to that guy for a bad ass sleeper. Ive got alot of work done including RA gears, cltuch flywheel, vf -34, intercooler, open exhaust...ect.
    the vr6 is normally an N/A variant v6, if it was boosted I could easily see how it could be a monster. VW's have had quite a bit of performance enhancements for a long time.

I was just reading this yesterday. That's quite a jump in power for just a reflash. I still think you should have beaten him, mainly because I have a vf34 WRX myself.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Yeah i am confident i would of beat him in an even race. We were rolling and he started before me. I was also in traffic at a slow roll for 30 minutes. Heat soak! Wasnt really a race though. I was basically chasing him. But his car was def. fast. I would of like to see how he hooked up off the line though.
    My money pit

Quote Originally Posted by flabele View Post
    Yeah i am confident i would of beat him in an even race. We were rolling and he started before me. I was also in traffic at a slow roll for 30 minutes. Heat soak! Wasnt really a race though. I was basically chasing him. But his car was def. fast. I would of like to see how he hooked up off the line though.
    hmmm, damn Vdubs and their light weight selfs, every person i know that owns a vdub wants a mark III and to swap a Vr6 in and boost it

They are fast but still
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

I know a few guys that did some VDUB work here in Massachusetts. One kid with a Blue GTI VR6 did a full Turbo upgrade and once tuned his numbers were orgasmic, I think he was putting down 320whp.

That was last year, god knows what he'll bring to the table this year.
    02 WRX
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by SyDiko View Post
    I know a few guys that did some VDUB work here in Massachusetts. One kid with a Blue GTI VR6 did a full Turbo upgrade and once tuned his numbers were orgasmic, I think he was putting down 320whp.

That was last year, god knows what he'll bring to the table this year.
    Thats not to shabby, a friend of a friend had a Mark III jetta with ~320fwhp and thing was nice from a roll but he broke an axle wheel hopping
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    Thats not to shabby, a friend of a friend had a Mark III jetta with ~320fwhp and thing was nice from a roll but he broke an axle wheel hopping
    Haha, that sucks... All that work to break an axle!
    02 WRX
    New England F4

I Support ClubWRX
    2 cars ago I had a fully custom Vdub. That thing would surprise a lot of cars. It was a built 2.0l Custom tranny swap with 3.94 and frumaroll in 1st I surprised the owner of a nice 95 turbo M3 when I didn't disappear. 1st and 2nd in that thing was monsterous, reminded me of AWD. We stop a few lights later and he said "Damn that thing is fast, 1.8t?" I smiled and said, " Nope its an all stock 2.0l. Nice turbo M3."

On topic:

12v VR6 pre-2002 rated at 174HP stock
    24v vr6 2002- rated at 200hp stock.

Couple that with a 2600-2800 lb car and its no surprise they are quick.

My friend owns www.WRDUSA.com a watercooled vdub tuner. He had a 12v vr6 Mk3 running 300whp all motor tickin off 13 flats traction limited.

However a vf engineering SC'd Vr6 is 250ish WHP on 8lbs.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

Yeah with 320whp he needed upgraded axles. My buddy is runnin a custom set and does burnout competitions at all the vdub events with no broken axles.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I had a VW 24v VR6 6-speed Jetta GLI...2003...and it was pretty quick and potent in stock form. I was pretty impressed with the giddy-up in it. I threw an AEM cold-air intake on it for some fun, and it made a nice intake growl...I had plans to turbo it actually, however I decided to sell it for an STI back in October. Greatest thing I ever did!

However...lets not forget about R32s...they are beasts stock. 240fwhp, and all wheel drive. I ran one in a 1/4 mile at Englishtown here in Jersey. I was stock and ran a 13.1 but I got smoked!!! He was pulling near 2 car lengths on me. Then I realized that he was turbo'd...very very fast car with a great launch. Only thing is, once he got to 2 car lengths, I think he blew something and he shut down and I got the race win. He certainly would have beaten me with a mid 12 second run...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Banned
    Them are german money pits subie rules Where are my off road comparisons. Those things should have stuck with there h4motors

I Support ClubWRX
    hmmm, damn Vdubs and their light weight selfs, every person i know that owns a vdub wants a mark III and to swap a Vr6 in and boost it

They are fast but still
    Your friends are into going straight, eh? All my dub-head friends complain that the VR6 makes the car too nose heavy, and causes 'em to understeer somethin' fierce. They all want rabbits or MK2s w/ worked 1.8T's...

My buddy had an SC'd VR6 MK3 GTI... car was fast, but you'd never know it. He'd have to take it out of it's protective bubble and drive it... I guess w/ the ridiculous amount of cash he put in it, he was afraid to damage it.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    Your friends are into going straight, eh? All my dub-head friends complain that the VR6 makes the car too nose heavy, and causes 'em to understeer somethin' fierce. They all want rabbits or MK2s w/ worked 1.8T's...

My buddy had an SC'd VR6 MK3 GTI... car was fast, but you'd never know it. He'd have to take it out of it's protective bubble and drive it... I guess w/ the ridiculous amount of cash he put in it, he was afraid to damage it.
    VDubs are pretty heavy cars in general, though they are pretty solid. I can vouch for the understeer too. Handling still was pretty decent though. With a worked suspension, my GLI would have been pretty nice in handling.

The terrors of the VDub world are the Corrados and Sciroccos though...when worked, they are beasts
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The terrors of the VDub world are the Corrados and Sciroccos though...when worked, they are beasts
    A G60 Corrado swapped to a turbo from the SC is nasty fast... That there is good clean fun, til it breaks
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    A G60 Corrado swapped to a turbo from the SC is nasty fast... That there is good clean fun, til it breaks
    My buddy is runnin a 91 stage 4 SC'd G60 Rado. The only mod it needs is a new owner.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast