04-05 sti vs. turboed 350z ? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04-05 sti vs. turboed 350z ? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; haha alright cool sounds good. what about drifting ? i have a 93 jeep lol and that thing is fun ...

haha alright cool sounds good. what about drifting ? i have a 93 jeep lol and that thing is fun drifting around on gravel and from what i heard about sti damn hard to drift. so im a little upset there its always nice to have fun that way. and suggestions ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Sti is definitely the more economical choice. 4K into an STi will get you a hell of alot farther than 4K into a Z. Catbacks are $1k alone in alot of cases. (just don't expect to be "stomping" on all TT Z's with a lighlty modded STi there quite a few prowling around that have a whole lot o power. Of course it still cost them a fortune so. haha)
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by abenak07 View Post
    haha alright cool sounds good. what about drifting ? i have a 93 jeep lol and that thing is fun drifting around on gravel and from what i heard about sti damn hard to drift. so im a little upset there its always nice to have fun that way. and suggestions ?
    If you want to drive - convert the car to RWD - the AWD is going to keep pulling the car back in line. You can use the DCCD to bias more power to the back, and that should let the tail slide a bit around turns. Not sure this is good for the center diff. Any STI owners wanna comment on this?

Drifting is lame - unless your car is sponsored and someone is footing the bill for repairs and tires - it's generally a bad idea. I gotta ask - how old are you?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

well heres the whole big story. i have 6g in stock. im going into the airforce where everything is paid for and i will start out 1300-1400 a month and after 3 months goes up to about 1400-1500 and then after 6 or 7 goes up to about 1600 and then im hoping to become an officer actually a fighter pilot. and then i will be making alot lol. so im going to take out a loan. and pay it off with stock till i actually go to basic and start collecting money. so i mean 25 loan will be enough for now. and later im sure i will have money for other mods. so theres my life story lol. so i mean if anyone has some more advise on the sti let me know lol

just turned 18 by the way

by the way i live in wisconsin and am willing to travel to IL. MN for a sti so if any of you know some for 21000 let me know! thanks again all

just turned 18 by the way
    18 + TTZ = really bad idea

The STi will be easier to drive AWD is more forgiving with power. Or maybe even get a WRX.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

well heres the whole big story. i have 6g in stock. im going into the airforce where everything is paid for and i will start out 1300-1400 a month and after 3 months goes up to about 1400-1500 and then after 6 or 7 goes up to about 1600 and then im hoping to become an officer actually a fighter pilot. and then i will be making alot lol. so im going to take out a loan. and pay it off with stock till i actually go to basic and start collecting money. so i mean 25 loan will be enough for now. and later im sure i will have money for other mods. so theres my life story lol. so i mean if anyone has some more advise on the sti let me know lol
    I would recommend you pick up a used WRX or STI. It is commendable for someone so young to join the military in such turbulent times. That being said - I've got friends who are still in and friends who are out. All of them have moved around alot and quite a few have wrecked their credit in the process of spending the way you plan to. Be careful.

It's an old man saying - but it's true : Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

If you are dead set on doing this - pick up a used STI, and get it to Cobb Stage II. That should keep you pretty happy. Oh and start saving for car insurance because unless you live in one of the few states that doesn't require insurance, you are gonna get killed on insurance @ 18. You might consider looking at a Mazdaspeed3, I believe they still get titled and insured as a regular Mazda3. The 350Z and WRX are #9 and #4 respectively on the top ten most expensive cars to insure list. (and yes, I own both)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

lol alright thanks for awaring me. but i am pretty set. one thing i may do is only do 1g more then my car for now. get a system and a boost control for now and later do mods. if you have any suggestions feel free to say them! thanks

lol alright thanks for awaring me. but i am pretty set. one thing i may do is only do 1g more then my car for now. get a system and a boost control for now and later do mods. if you have any suggestions feel free to say them! thanks
    No boost controller please! if you are going to spend a grand get a Downpipe and Accessport and call it a day with nice and safe stage 2
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

well i need subs out of the grand too lol

Use the search - and don't take this as an insult - all the mods your friends are going to tell you about are wrong for WRX/STI. Do not buy the following items until you have searched and discussed on the forum:

SRI (Short Ram Intake)
    CAI (Cold Air Intake)
    TT (Turbo Timer)
    BOV (Blow Off Valve)
    MBC (Manual Boost Controller)
    EBC (Electronic Boost Controller)

The factory ECU on our cars (Forester, WRX/STI, Legacy) has been open for quite some time. You don't need to buy piggybacks, or stand alone engine management - the functionality needed by 90% of the people looking to mod is already available in the stock ECU. You can pay Cobb for their tuner, or you can go the opensource route and save quite a bit of money with some reading and patience. The only valid alternative that I have seen is UTEC - and again - most people will never use it to it's full potential.

That sound system could make your car heavier and slower. Here's how it works:

100lbs = minus 10hp = .1sec longer in the quarter mile

Factory audio isn't all that bad, and rarely gets stolen.

If your buying a system out of the grand thats all fine and dandy, but don't cut corners on the performance cause you want both, your engine will be hating you for getting a MBC when its blown up or just plain running like hell.

Opensoruce is a good route if you know what your doing or know someone else that knows what they are doing.
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

alright sounds good. but i would still like a system im not anual about racing and im not a serious racer i just want a nice car with some power to have fun driving around and MAYBE race here and there who knows. thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.