New Evo vs. New WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Evo vs. New WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by powder New EVO engine is 4B11 and yes it's a 2.0. Should be 300+ hp. The part ...

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    New EVO engine is 4B11 and yes it's a 2.0. Should be 300+ hp. The part that Mitsu messed up on was they should have given all the EVO's 6 speeds with the MR having the paddle shifters, IMO.
    I read somewhere that for those who don't like the DSG type tranny/paddle shifters, there will be a 5MT offered.

IMO...if you're too d@mn lazy to push a clutch in, you don't need a performance car.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Based on looks alone, I prefer the Evo X renderings to the STi. Not because I like the Evo so much (I actually don't care for the looks), but the fact is I'm not a fan of hatchbacks.

Both, IMO, are going too much for that "European" look, and both seem to have moved away from their roots as hardcore, souped-up econo-boxes.

To be fair, if the reports are true, the STi is staying closer to the original concept (only manual offered, weighs less than the previous model, not overloading it with electronic gadgetry, etc.), but I'm still not a huge fan of either right now.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    Wait, the new Evo doesn't have the 4G63? Is it a different 2.0l?
    The moddability of the 4g, IMO was the biggest advantage the Evo had over the WRX/STi. Boo.
    I talked about this some in the other Lancer thread. The new engine is the Mitsu version of the new 'World engine' that was jointly developed between Chrysler, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi. The block and all the internals are going to be the same (or very similar) between the 3, with the heads being developed individually by each company. It's being designed as everything from a 1.8L to a 2.4L. There's a decent bit of info about it here on allpar.com, although it's all from the Chrysler side. The rumor is that the engine going in the upcoming Evo, and the new Dodge SRT-4 will be closely related. One good point is that it was supposedly designed from the ground up for forced induction applications, so it should take very well to boost.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I read somewhere that for those who don't like the DSG type tranny/paddle shifters, there will be a 5MT offered.

IMO...if you're too d@mn lazy to push a clutch in, you don't need a performance car.
    So I guess we won't mention the fact that those lazy people with the DSG transmissions can rip through the gears faster and more efficiently than a regular transmission. Let's see you perform an upshift in .08 seconds. I guess I'll also have to stop respecting those darn F1 drivers too, since they are also too lazy to push in a clutch.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Wait, the new Evo doesn't have the 4G63? Is it a different 2.0l?
    yeah a "world engine jointly made by diamler chrisler with mitsubishi.....same engine thats in the upcomming caliber srt-4. though there may be a few tweaks here and there.
    R.I.P. 2004 SRT-4
    Missing you...2005 STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jaqattack02 View Post
    So I guess we won't mention the fact that those lazy people with the DSG transmissions can rip through the gears faster and more efficiently than a regular transmission. Let's see you perform an upshift in .08 seconds. I guess I'll also have to stop respecting those darn F1 drivers too, since they are also too lazy to push in a clutch.
    I agree anytime Subaru wants to toss a good DSG tranny this way I'd be all for it. The only complaints I hear about them is you usually cant red line the car as it will shift before then, the ECU limits downshifts, and once in awhile if you are taking a turn and upshift as it ends the ECU will upshift and you actually go up 2 gears (probaly stupid timing).

I realize these are all "idiot" proof features so people dont destroy the car so hopefully if the new EVO has them they can be tuned out.

It really is a nice feature...no need to hate it.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jaqattack02 View Post
    I'm with Mike on this one; I don't see myself moving away from a true clutch manual anytime soon. It's not about the tech, it's about the fun.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'm with Mike on this one; I don't see myself moving away from a true clutch manual anytime soon. It's not about the tech, it's about the fun.
    +1 i drive for fun and wouldn't trade my 5 speed for anything but a 6 speed. even if i could brake in 12s easy with an auto i would rather run mid 14s in a manual and have a good time
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    i think i be rotflmao at anyone buying a automatic evo

thats for drivers who cant drive imho
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Is it going to be a true manual paddle gear box (like Ferrari) or is it going to be an automatic (w/ torque converter etc.) with the option of using paddles (Like mercedes)? I'm guessing the later.

If I were looking to buy and EVO I don't know if I'd choose it over the 5 speed(I don't race it so having shifts in .8 seconds doesn't matter to me as much as the fun factor) however I do respect the technology and the fact that it is faster. I've never driven a car with a true F1 paddle system so I'm holding judgement until I do.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

My understanding was that it was going to be a clutchless manual, like the DSG system.

Could be wrong about that though.

And +1 to using a true 3-pedal manual. Like others have said, it's not about how fast I can shift, it's that I enjoy the actual act of shifting, and feel more connected to the car.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    +1 i drive for fun and wouldn't trade my 5 speed for anything but a 6 speed. even if i could brake in 12s easy with an auto i would rather run mid 14s in a manual and have a good time
    Only 20% of Ferrari drivers agree with you.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

I Support ClubWRX
    So we've established that 80% of Ferrari drivers are lazy.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

yea if the STi is hatch only and the EVO is not a manual like you guys say, then i have lost respect for pretty much all of the newer cars being put out by companies (excluding exotics). what are cars coming to with all sorts of computers doing your driving, well at least the new supra looks promising.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast