Subaru WRX vs. Acura RSX Type-S
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX vs. Acura RSX Type-S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hope this is the right forum, thought it would be. Hey guys, as you can see this is my first ...

Question Subaru WRX vs. Acura RSX Type-S

Hope this is the right forum, thought it would be.

Hey guys, as you can see this is my first post on the forum. I've bypassed my "first car" and as of next summer I'm going to be getting a new car. I'm looking at buying either a WRX, which I've always had a thing for, or an RSX Type-S. I'm really not interested in fanboyism or anything of that sort and I am posting this on a couple different forums to see the responses.

Anyway, I have about 17-19,000 to spend on a used car and I've narrowed it down to these two. I would love an STi but I guess since money is somewhat of an issue for the initial purchase it's out of the question. I'll have money to mod my car over the next few years, and once I decide on which car to buy I'll need to figure which direction to take it. This will be my DD and my ONLY car, and I need to have it last for at least 4 years. I'm not the kind of person to really dog a car out or anything so that's not really the issue. I just need some advice on what's going to be the most reliable and fastest car for what I want. I do want to mod it, and will probably spend a considerable amount of money in that department. Does anyone have any input they'd like to give me to go RSX or WRX to meet my needs?

Cliffs:

17-19k for initial purchase, 3k yearly for mods
    Most reliable after turbo: WRX or Type-S
    400-450whp goal
    DD, must last 4-5 years or ~200k miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have 17-19k to put towards the car for next year I don't see why you couldn't afford an STi and that would be the best way to go for what your looking for. It would be a huge investment to make your whp goal with a wrx and it would be better to start with an STi if that is what you wanted to reach.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

With a 400-450 Whp goal on a DD that is going to be your only car and needs to last 4 years, I would not go the wrx route. I personally would not even try that goal with an STi given the parameters you set for your goals.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Thanks for the replies guys...

Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    If you have 17-19k to put towards the car for next year I don't see why you couldn't afford an STi and that would be the best way to go for what your looking for. It would be a huge investment to make your whp goal with a wrx and it would be better to start with an STi if that is what you wanted to reach.
    I've been looking around on autotrader.com at WRX and STi in my area and they're much more expensive than that for an STi. I can't afford a dime more than 19k, as I'm a college student. The way I'm saving up for mods is by working December, May, June, and July while I'm away from school. I figure I can get about 800-1000 a month. So If I did get an STi, i'd have to go a couple years, maybe more, without a car.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Welcome.

With a 400-450 Whp goal on a DD that is going to be your only car and needs to last 4 years, I would not go the wrx route. I personally would not even try that goal with an STi given the parameters you set for your goals.
    Would the Type-S be a more reliable car, or is it just a matter of no tuner car is going to reach those numbers with reliability. Also, I should have more clearly stated the order of modification I was going to try...

Minor Engine/Power mods (TBE, Short Ram and that's it) 1st Year
    Wheels/Tires 1st Year
    Brakes 2nd Year
    Suspension 2nd Year/3rd year
    Major Engine modification 3rd year/4th year

Also, I'm not afraid to build up the engine/change the block/do whatever is necessary to make the car safe, reliable, quick, and fun. I'm young but I have a lot of patience.

So by the time I get up to a Stage 2 @ 415whp (or more/less) I'll have had my car for a few years if not more. After that I probably will purchase another car as a DD and keep this or sell this one and purchase another, because I'll have just graduated college with a degree, and I plan on 50k+ a year. At that point I won't be as concerned with reliability because I'll have a project car/DD.

Quote Originally Posted by mebcitadel View Post
    Hope this is the right forum, thought it would be.

Hey guys, as you can see this is my first post on the forum. I've bypassed my "first car" and as of next summer I'm going to be getting a new car. I'm looking at buying either a WRX, which I've always had a thing for, or an RSX Type-S. I'm really not interested in fanboyism or anything of that sort and I am posting this on a couple different forums to see the responses.

Anyway, I have about 17-19,000 to spend on a used car and I've narrowed it down to these two. I would love an STi but I guess since money is somewhat of an issue for the initial purchase it's out of the question. I'll have money to mod my car over the next few years, and once I decide on which car to buy I'll need to figure which direction to take it. This will be my DD and my ONLY car, and I need to have it last for at least 4 years. I'm not the kind of person to really dog a car out or anything so that's not really the issue. I just need some advice on what's going to be the most reliable and fastest car for what I want. I do want to mod it, and will probably spend a considerable amount of money in that department. Does anyone have any input they'd like to give me to go RSX or WRX to meet my needs?

Cliffs:

17-19k for initial purchase, 3k yearly for mods
    Most reliable after turbo: WRX or Type-S
    400-450whp goal
    DD, must last 4-5 years or ~200k miles
    You've got unrealistic expectations. Do some more reading on both cars, then buy what you feel is best. It's generally a bad idea to expect any DD to last 5 years at over double the WHP, and to expect to pull this off on a budget of 3k a year for mods is ridiculous. Modding is not a cheap hobby. Either allocate more funds or choose a differint route. Maybe a turbo integra?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Moving to the "Comparison/WRX vs." forum.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    You've got unrealistic expectations. Do some more reading on both cars, then buy what you feel is best. It's generally a bad idea to expect any DD to last 5 years at over double the WHP, and to expect to pull this off on a budget of 3k a year for mods is ridiculous. Modding is not a cheap hobby. Either allocate more funds or choose a differint route. Maybe a turbo integra?
    Ok, I'm just learning still. I have another school year to do research and really decide what I want. I think I'm being misunderstood too, I don't expect 400whp in one, two, or even three years with ~3-4k... I have a 3k+ budget a year and by the end of 4+ years want to have the 400whp mark. So basically I want to really understand and mod/tune my car over the next 4 years as a learning experience and for fun, with about 17-19 for initial purchase, and ~10-12k in my pocket for mods OVER THE COURSE of 4 years. With that being said, my only parameters are a reliable car that can last me long enough to mod and tune it properly, and that it be reliable enough for a DD.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    It would be a hugehit to the wallet/lossto make your whp goal with a wrx and it would be better to start with an STi if that is what you wanted to reach.
    fixed

i had an rsx-s, and it was a great car. the main reason i traded to the wrx was because of awd and the practicality of 4 doors. with those power goals (which may be a bit much for either wrx and just just plane crazy for rsx-s) the wrx tranny will not old up to that power, and the rsx-s will just spin its left front tire.

if you can afford the sti payments and insurance, then by all means go for it.

the rsx had a much nicer interior was quieter with less road noise and the red guages were just beautiful and the tranny was like butter.

the wrx has much more torque is much more fun to drive but the tranny is not that greatest.

i say drive both of them see how you like them and choose accordingly
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

+1 to the above

As a point of reference. Take a look at my mod list. Between parts and labor I've got 25k invested in modding a car I purchased for $14,900. I love it, but it's probably not the smartest thing to do with your money.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    fixed

i had an rsx-s, and it was a great car. the main reason i traded to the wrx was because of awd and the practicality of 4 doors. with those power goals (which may be a bit much for either wrx and just just plane crazy for rsx-s) the wrx tranny will not old up to that power, and the rsx-s will just spin its left front tire.

the rsx had a much nicer interior was quieter with less road noise and the red guages were just beautiful and the tranny was like butter.

the wrx has much more torque is much more fun to drive but the tranny is not that greatest.

same here i had an 06 civic si.though i loved that car i needed the 4doors. i dont regret making the switch to the wrx. stock i was doing the same numbers as my 06 si modded. now that im stg.2 im faster.the ride is smoother and i feel the wrx is much easier and cheaper to upgrade compared to the rsx-s or the 06-07 si.

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    fixed

Well, browsing around clubrsx.com I see a lot of people claiming 400whp numbers or even more as DD after a Full Race or otherwise turbo kit. I know the WRX has the reputation of a crappy transmission, but I honestly don't know of any quirks with the Type-S.

As far as what I like, the WRX appeals to my taste in almost every sense at a first glance. The AWD, 4 doors, general appearence (look at your avatar! ) The RSX on the other hand as a lot "cleaner" appearence, and is probably a more reliable car. From what I've been reading, you can potentially get more out of a RSX, but it's hard to sort out the real info from fanboy info, on both fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    +1 to the above

As a point of reference. Take a look at my mod list. Between parts and labor I've got 25k invested in modding a car I purchased for $14,900. I love it, but it's probably not the smartest thing to do with your money.
    25K? That seems excessive for what you have done to your car. I haven't quite done the same for a WRX, but as far as the Type-S I've "built" one to a little over 300 for well under 10k. Maybe RSX parts are a lot cheaper than WRX parts...?

Quote Originally Posted by bboylocob View Post
    same here i had an 06 civic si.though i loved that car i needed the 4doors. i dont regret making the switch to the wrx. stock i was doing the same numbers as my 06 si modded. now that im stg.2 im faster.the ride is smoother and i feel the wrx is much easier and cheaper to upgrade compared to the rsx-s or the 06-07 si.
    If you don't mind me asking, how much hp are you putting out @ Stage 2 and how much was it to get there? It seems like Stage 2 is about the limit for a stock tranny on WRX. The RSX Type-S doesn't seem ridiculously expensive either to mod. The other guy on this thread... 25k on mods? I wonder what kind of power he's putting out.

So by the time I get up to a Stage 2 @ 415whp (or more/less)
    I wish my stage2 was that much
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

If you don't mind me asking, how much hp are you putting out @ Stage 2 and how much was it to get there? It seems like Stage 2 is about the limit for a stock tranny on WRX. The RSX Type-S doesn't seem ridiculously expensive either to mod. The other guy on this thread... 25k on mods? I wonder what kind of power he's putting out.
    i dont know the exact dyno numbers being there is no awd dyno near me.but i have a 07 wrx the the cobb stg.2 map and the turboxs stealth-back exhaust. so i should be around 225whp and about 270wtq. someone correct me if im a little off.and as far as how much.i paid 1200 for everything.you can go stg.2 for a lot cheaper if you wanted to.

when i had my 06 si i had cai,dc race headers,greddy cat-back exhaust,and hondata.the best times out there with this set up plus drag radials is a 13.9. and the hp was 205whp and 165wtq.total cost for that set up is 1600 or more depending the brand.
    i will lay out the cast for modding a rsx or a new si with a turbo.
    car:20,000 if your lucky
    turbo kit(to meet your goals)6,000+ any little extra things that you will need
    3inch exhaust 700
    fuel pump 90
    fuel return kit 300
    hondata 900
    hondata protune 400+dyno time

i know this cuz i did it. i bought the turbo kit,hondata,fuel pump and all the other stuff.it got way to expensive so decided to sell it all.and trade in my car for the wrx.
    Last edited by bboylocob; 08-06-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bboylocob View Post
    i dont know the exact dyno numbers being there is no awd dyno near me.but i have a 07 wrx the the cobb stg.2 map and the turboxs stealth-back exhaust. so i should be around 225whp and about 270wtq. someone correct me if im a little off.and as far as how much.i paid 1200 for everything.you can go stg.2 for a lot cheaper if you wanted to.

when i had my 06 si i had cai,dc race headers,greddy cat-back exhaust,and hondata.the best times out there with this set up plus drag radials is a 13.9. and the hp was 205whp and 165wtq.total cost for that set up is 1600 or more depending the brand.
    i will lay out the cast for modding a rsx or a new si with a turbo.
    car:20,000 if your lucky
    turbo kit(to meet your goals)6,000+ any little extra things that you will need
    3inch exhaust 700
    fuel pump 90
    fuel return kit 300
    hondata 900
    hondata protune 400+dyno time

i know this cuz i did it. i bought the turbo kit,hondata,fuel pump and all the other stuff.it got way to expensive so decided to sell it all.and trade in my car for the wrx.
    That's about the layout + numbers I got for the RSX, totaling out at around 10,000 before suspension and brake stuff. I can find Type-S in my area for about 18k with less than 30k miles so that's prob what I would get. WRX is about the same.

How exactly did it "get expensive" I mean, once the parts are on and the car is tuned your essentially ready to go... Or are you talking about breaking parts or...?

I'm starting to think RSX would be the better car for my goals, although a WRX looks better IMO. Then again, close to or at 400whp on a FWD car is going to be an issue to say the least... lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.