Subaru WRX vs. Acura RSX Type-S - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX vs. Acura RSX Type-S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hate to be captain obvious and i know i don't come around these parts much but i gotta say, 400-450whp ...

Hate to be captain obvious and i know i don't come around these parts much but i gotta say, 400-450whp is a bit much for a dd. I suspect you've never ridden in anything worth more than 250whp so while it's cool to speculate about how awesome it would be to own a 400-450whp daily driven car, it's completely and utterly non-realistic. Buy a stock wrx and you'll be absolutely elated. Then mod it as you deem fit.

Unless I'm totally wrong, and you really aren't a 17 year old kid lusting after some dyno queen of a car which you'll probably wrap around a tree in a street race against a civic dx with an AEM cai and an OBX muffler, get a mustang or camaro if you must have the hp and leave the sporty awd stuff to us.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ballstein View Post
    Hate to be captain obvious and i know i don't come around these parts much but i gotta say, 400-450whp is a bit much for a dd. I suspect you've never ridden in anything worth more than 250whp so while it's cool to speculate about how awesome it would be to own a 400-450whp daily driven car, it's completely and utterly non-realistic. Buy a stock wrx and you'll be absolutely elated. Then mod it as you deem fit.

Unless I'm totally wrong, and you really aren't a 17 year old kid lusting after some dyno queen of a car which you'll probably wrap around a tree in a street race against a civic dx with an AEM cai and an OBX muffler, get a mustang or camaro if you must have the hp and leave the sporty awd stuff to us.
    +1, I love my WRX, but to be honest, if I just wasn't obsessed with subaru, and driving in dirt, and...
    ok, i don't know where i'm going with that...

subarus are not going to make that power reliably, BUT you'd be surprised at what a 300WHP wrx can do.
    just stage 2 at 230ish WHP will blow your mind.

IMO, 300whp is all I need for my Daily Drive + fun

and 200-250whp is all you want to put in your RSX
    2005 Blogeye - STi @ Cobb Stage 2
    Tanabe Medallion Touring Catback, ERZ downpipe
    Stance GR+ Coilover, Cusco F/R Swaybar, Kartboy F/R Endlink, Cusco Front Strut Bar, STi Rear Strut Bar, RE-01R

i raced my buddies Type-s when i got my rex...when we got back to his apartment i had to ask if he even tried....i was a car length ahead before we got to the other side of the intersection.
    personally i dont like the feel of the type s. it feels like a computer simulation. you dont feel the road...you dont see the hood. shifting seems pointless as you can nearly start rolling the car without adding any pressure to the throttle. WRX on the other hand is a real driving experience with handling that the type s cant even approach....taking exit ramps from the free way in his car really fast you can feel it trying to slide over to the out side where as the subi pulls through the inside and hugs the road. bottum line the wrx rides on rails, good foundation for a better car with REAL drive feel.
    your goal is a bit of a stretch...the type s will need way more $$$ to achieve the goal. and you still wouldnt have the subi AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashncam400 View Post
    i raced my buddies Type-s when i got my rex...when we got back to his apartment i had to ask if he even tried....i was a car length ahead before we got to the other side of the intersection.
    personally i dont like the feel of the type s. it feels like a computer simulation. you dont feel the road...you dont see the hood. shifting seems pointless as you can nearly start rolling the car without adding any pressure to the throttle. WRX on the other hand is a real driving experience with handling that the type s cant even approach....taking exit ramps from the free way in his car really fast you can feel it trying to slide over to the out side where as the subi pulls through the inside and hugs the road. bottum line the wrx rides on rails, good foundation for a better car with REAL drive feel.
    your goal is a bit of a stretch...the type s will need way more $$$ to achieve the goal. and you still wouldnt have the subi AWD.
    Sorry but a stock WRX is not better then a RSX-S stock for stock, and if it pulls through in the corners then you haven't pushed the car hard enough to see that the WRX is an understeering pig! Now having said that if you do some minor work on the WRX suspension wise it becomes a far better handeling car than the RSX. I have a very good comparison between the 2 cars becasuse my sister drives one. The RSX from the factory handels like its on rails but the WRX feels like a boat. Saying that doesn't mean its a better car what it simply means the car doesn't have the body sway that the WRX does, you feel every bump because its stiff as hell. Just as an interseting bit of comparison the RSX has a sway bar that is twice as thick as the WRX's i mean it has to be at least 30mm thick while my wagon only had 17mm, yet the car weighs less than 3000 punds. The brake feel is and stopping power is far better then the WRX, the interior is far better let me see if I can put this as a list.

RSX pros

Quick steering
    Excellent brakes
    Very little body sway
    200HP is very capable
    Excellent interior look
    Looks better (subjective but most people would agree)
    Excellent tires Michelins pilots
    6 speed butter smooth tranny

RSX cons

Loud when you need to rev the engine to get some power 8krpm redline
    Cramped interior room I am being 6' can't sit in the back
    A lot of torque steer
    Low engine torque
    Can't get the HP from simple mods
    With the 6 speed you are constantly shifting

Now the WRX as compared to the RSX

Worse brakes stock---- but upgrade the pads and steel brake lines and it becomes a stoping monster
    Lots of body roll-----upgrade the sways, endlinks and springs and you have a very well handeling car
    Worse interior----enough said its livable though not as nice as a lether interior in the RSX-s
    Horrible tires
    Worse feeling tranny but once you get used to it you don't noitce it as much

Now as far as the overall picture the WRX handels like a bigger sedan which it is being that its 4 door. If you first look at the performance and handeling of the cars you would take the RSX over the WRX in stock form. However when you upgrade the Tires, brakes, suspension and Engine combining that with the veristility of 4 doors and the AWD the WRX is far better then the RSX. The over all feel of the RSX is like a wild horse which you are trying to tame and every time you accelerate in the RSX its so twichy you have to hold on to tame the beast. Like you trying to hold on on the saddle of a wild horse. Now the WRX will accelerate and you will have none of those struggles as its smooth and fast. The tranny feel you can't really fix and this is something that I always get pissed off about after I drive the RSX and get back to my car, but I try to ignore that fact. The WRX will do drifts with the flick of a sterring wheel while you can really do that with the RSX.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy View Post
    The over all feel of the RSX is like a wild horse which you are trying to tame and every time you accelerate in the RSX its so twichy you have to hold on to tame the beast.

Overall thats an excellent comparison of the two cars...and pretty objective as well...

However with what I quoted...does the RSX really feel like that? I've never actually been in one, though I have been in a TSX 6-speed which has virtually the same engine (obviously heavier).

It seems to describe the WRX more, considering its a dog until it hits that spool up, which can sometimes feel notchy with the power...I know my STI can be that way, but thats not the comparsion here as we can all agree...just wondering...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Overall thats an excellent comparison of the two cars...and pretty objective as well...

However with what I quoted...does the RSX really feel like that? I've never actually been in one, though I have been in a TSX 6-speed which has virtually the same engine (obviously heavier).

It seems to describe the WRX more, considering its a dog until it hits that spool up, which can sometimes feel notchy with the power...I know my STI can be that way, but thats not the comparsion here as we can all agree...just wondering...
    Yes absolutely for example if you try to make a sharp turn while punching it you will need to muscle the steering wheel to go where you want to go the torquesteer is that evident. Even when going straight if you punch it, the car doesn't want to stay straight, and becasue of the steering ratio is so quick, every little input makes the car jerk sideways.... its like riding a wild horse, that is the best comparion I can make. The streets in the city are so bad that when you go over sharp bumps while punching it the car must be jumping from bump to bump becasue it feels like it wants to go right and left. The handeling is sharp and when you are going 80 you think you only at 50, and I think its funny how they stup the gauges, becasue in our car its about 40 mph where in the RSX its 80 and it sure doesn't feel like you are going 80 but about 50. Becasue of the lack of torque, you don't think you are going fast, but you are, so I guess someone is right when they posted that shifting feels like its pointless. Also the car doesn't understeer, untill you load it up with stuff and then you feel the lack of torque and the car is an understeering just as much as the stock WRX. Back in 2005 the RSX won 1st place and WRX was second over all pick as a daily driver becasue of the interior (I think it was Road and track mag.), thats why my sister got it. We come from a family of drivers so she is performance oriented driver like me, hence she got the car. Anyways the RSX is a chick car and the WRX is a man's car and the feeling is comparable to that, the WRX feels heavy (read solid) on the road, while the RSX feels light as a feather. On the fun factor out of 10 I would give the RSX an 8 while the WRX a 10, so driving the RSX can be fun but it does get old rather quickly becasue of the stiffness and the steroid hyperness of the car. Again I wish i had her interior and the manual gearbox but with 6 speeds you constantly have to shift to say in power. Also the RSX, I would compare it to a sports bike while the WRX is much more mannered and relaxed but can become a beast when you put the hammer down. The reason why I can talk about these 2 car is because she does let me drive it and I know these cars side by side quite well.
    Last edited by subaru_crazy; 09-07-2007 at 05:25 PM.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Call me crazy but I'd take a RSX any day.

6sp, N/A throttle response, 8-9k rev limiter-thats fun stuff IMO. I wanted an ITR before my rex.

Still kinda do.

i would only buy a type s if i wanted a kinda zoomy comuter car!

i would never take one over my wrx though!

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I had an RSX-S..... trust me, they aren't that "zoomy".

I sold it to buy a WRX, haven't regretted it even once. And upgrade parts aren't that expensive, if you shop wisely.

As for the trannies.... it's bs.... if you speed-shift your WRX like you would a Honda, your tranny is going to break on a stock WRX.

Currently a stage 3, 315 WHP, stock tranny and clutch, no slipping, no problems, daily driver... I just don't drive stupid.

06 or 07 WRXs:
    + Cobb AP ($650, or cheaper used)
    + K&N drop in filter ($40)
    + remove intake silencer (free)
    + eBay catless TBE ($350)
    + used STI intercooler ($250)
    + used VF39 turbo-only 1200 miles ($500)
    + protune ($300)

About $2100 = stage 3, 315 WHP, mid 12 second passes. (my 1/4 time in my signature was the Cobb VF39 OTS map (290 whp), BEFORE I had it dynotuned)

Granted, I've got quite a bit more in my car, but if we're talking performance alone.... thats it.

Oh yea... and you get AWD in a WRX.

Hands down, a better car. more fun to drive, just as reliable (if you do it right), better in the snow/rain, bigger back seats... the list goes on and on.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 09-08-2007 at 07:32 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

i treaded my rsx-s for the wrx..no regrets

simply put...when driving the rsx..it never felt fast (in other words, no torque) the wrx feels so much faster (much more torque). when i bought the RSX..i was considering the bugeye...both had just came out..i was preoccupided with looks and appearence..so i went with the rsx...but i came to my senses and traded it in for the wrx.

i mean...rev any engine up to 9k and you'll get hp you still won't have torque...granted honda has done a good job at making engines that can do that and not blow up..but still...you buy horsepower...you drive torque.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post

06 or 07 WRXs:
    + Cobb AP ($650, or cheaper used)
    + K&N drop in filter ($40)
    + remove intake silencer (free)
    + eBay catless TBE ($350)
    + used STI intercooler ($250)
    + used VF39 turbo-only 1200 miles ($500)
    + protune ($300)
    why is that considered a stage 3? Going by todays standards, sounds like a stage 4. Turbo/IC upgrade constitutes 'stage 4' bragging rights...its been a long time since Ive heard 'stage 3'...

sorry, totally off topic.

If the 0T has 17-19k for a used car and 3k a year after that to mod...why not just wait a year and use the 3k to buy an 04 Sti. Give it a cobb stage 2 and call it a day-- then if you still have to have those bragging rights..go rotated mount Garrett GT35 a year after.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by wrxisthebest View Post
    i would only buy a type s if i wanted a kinda zoomy comuter car!

i would never take one over my wrx though!
    Fan boi (J/K)

I would take an RSX-S over a WRX, they are very quick.. they don't feel "zoomy" because they have a great power band that is SMOOTH not rough like a turbo finally kicking on.

Everyone talks about the cars aren't smooth because when Vattack kicks in it feels weird, having driven both cars I say the car was possibly the smoothest car i have driven and wasn't as fast as my stage WRX at the time but damn that tranny was strong and smooth as butter
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    but damn that tranny was strong and smooth as butter
    i miss that tranny dearly
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    i miss that tranny dearly
    it truly is a thing of beauty
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234