Subaru WRX vs. Acura RSX Type-S - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX vs. Acura RSX Type-S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Micah The trans in the WRX was originally purpose designed for a FWD 90hp car. It's been ...

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    The trans in the WRX was originally purpose designed for a FWD 90hp car. It's been beefed up a bit through the years, but the main problem is that with AWD spinning the tires to waste extra stress on the driveline is less of an option. So instead the pressure finds the weakest point and breaks it. In the 5-speed, it's the teeth on the gears which shred and go boom.

Driven correctly, and in stock form, the trans is fine. However, if you are at stock levels and banging on the gears (not rev matching at all, or just dumping the clutch between gears regardless of engine rpm as compared to velocity and gear choice) it will break. There are people with +300awhp on the stock trans and no issues. There are people who break them stock. It's all about how you drive it.

I was very nice to mine, but on July 14th I was racing a friend and shifted into 2nd gear very aggressively - it went boom. Two weeks and $4600 later($3600 for parts, the rest for labor), I have a 6-speed from an STI in my car.
    Gotcha

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 4WDwRx View Post
    400- 450 whp. you should be looking at f-bodies.
    +1 or an incon tt mustang
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Whatever you do, dont get a honda you will regret it.AWD is so much better. Dont waste your time with a FWD, I had an integra my first car, dont get me wrong there good reliable cars just dont come close to a WRX. If you like the RSX, try looking for a Integra Type-R, good all around car, specially handling, and If I remember right the redline is around 8500 or something. The engine sounds great, but I love my WRX.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    For the first time this week the crappy neon thats been stalking me didn't find me and rev at me.

I just spent four hours driving in my friend's RSX type S last night and what I can say is... I love my stage 2 Bugeye a lot better.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car.
    With some basic bolt on like CIA, header, exhaust, Tein Super Street Coilover, Rear Swaybar, etc etc...

I never found myself feel comfortable in the loud@ss Vtec on freeway. My ears hurt (seriously... is good to hear it outside the car... not inside)

Overall, I give his car:
    (out of 10)

Low-end Power: 8 (N/A engine is cool)

Mid Power: 5 (Fair increase over stock)

High-end Power: 5 (Vtec wasn't that surprise me, turbo spool-up feel a lot better than the Vtec kick in :P)

Handling: 7 (The suspension setting is not bad, but I feel a lot safer in my AWD suby, may be I am a bad driver? Hey, but FWD does have a better sharp steering feel, I like it)

Brake: 8 (Since the car is light, braking is awesome)

Comfortable: 3 (too loud, even with exhaust silencer on... I owned few honda cars before but this one is far worse... People, don't get the Apexi N-1 on your honda car ... no music because he too it out... The car feel like falling apart on uneven surface, and I can hear the sound of wind on freeway clearly...)

For my stage 2 bugeye: (just the most basic stage 2 set up with tein H-tec, that's all)

L-power: 7 (respond is not that bad since I have stock turbo, but yes, turbo lag is existed)
    M-power: 8 (Pull a lot harder over stock, and I am sure you guys know it )
    H-power: 5 (TD04... what do you expect?)
    Handling: 8 (even with just lowering spring, AWD save my life Yes, I am a bad driver... an AWD spoiled kid )
    Comfortable: 9 (Roll up your window and no more exhaust smell, sound, and tire noise. Sit well and enjoy my music, suspension is firm but not harsh. I like it)

IMO, once again... IMO... don't flame please
    The RSX is more like a highly tuned sport car, you won't feel a huge improvement with just some basic bolt-on modify (but you can tell it's faster over stock). It's even worse if you only upgrade one part at a time, you will think you got cheated because you don't see your car go faster... (I am not kidding)

And for WRX (not STI though...), with just an uppipe, downpipe (not even a catback), and a reflash, I was like upgrading to another highly tune enter-class race car (ok, maybe not, but you get what I mean)... The power difference is day and night, the comfortability (if this word exist, sorry for bad english) is just as good as stock... quiet, smooth, no exhaust smell... You can find your suby has a lot of potential... is an amazing car.

So it's more like...
    modifying a RSX is adding power to the car externally... (mean you push it harder and harder to its limit)
    and
    modifying a WRX is releasing the power from the car internally... (that's sound cool isn't it?)

But I think most of you had experienced it already

Hope this can help
    Last edited by Liam; 08-07-2007 at 01:00 PM.
    2005 Blogeye - STi @ Cobb Stage 2
    Tanabe Medallion Touring Catback, ERZ downpipe
    Stance GR+ Coilover, Cusco F/R Swaybar, Kartboy F/R Endlink, Cusco Front Strut Bar, STi Rear Strut Bar, RE-01R

I heard of a guy at my old dealership that blew his tranny in his new STI at around 2k miles. Too many launches will destroy any transmission...and an AWD transmission will just get destroyed quicker then a FWD or RWD.

Reliability depends mostly on the driver. Remember that.
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

Neither car will do what you want.

Neither car can make that power cheaply.

Neither car will be reliable with that much power.

You need to do one of two things:

1) Change your expectation

2) Pick another car

You live in South Carolina which means no snow, and therefore I would be focusing on big-motor RWD cars for that type of power. The GTO and F-bodies will make that kind of power fairly reliably and safely. You also might be able to find a used Evo-RS for around $19k and that will make the power as well.
    In your position, I would go with either a LS1 GTO, Mach1 mustang, or WS6.

400whp in an rsx-s is pointless due to fwd. 400whp in a wrx will cost you insane amounts of money because a new tranny and motor build will be needed on top of all the parts to make that power.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Neither car will do what you want.

Neither car can make that power cheaply.

Neither car will be reliable with that much power.

You need to do one of two things:

1) Change your expectation

2) Pick another car

I second this.
    If you like the look of the WRX, and your goal is faster than an STi, you can achieve this via the WRX, but it will be from a rolling start and it will be in a straight line. In all other categories, the STi will trump you, and very handily.

If you are patient, you should be able to pick up a used STi sometime this year within your budget. They come available at decent prices every now and then, you just have to be vigilent and prepared to buy immediately.

IMHO, I think it's personally silly to even consider those HP levels in a FWD car, but that's just me. I've got a good friend who is a honda tech, and even he admits that building those cars takes a lot more upkeep than most people are willing to commit to.

Bang for buck wise, the Impreza platform will provide greater returns.

For your specific goals, and to address your concerns about the trans, the STi should be your choice. They can consistantly hold over 400 whp no prob. Anyone who has broken one at stock or +400 hp levels is abusing it. There have already been STi's with well over 500 whp on the stock trans and the first thing to go is almost always the axles, not the trans.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Banned
    good thread

I think you should focus more on figuring out what kind of times / real power you want from your car, rather than just pulling out horsepower numbers. If your main goal is to have a reliable DD that is faster than a stock STi then I don't think 400hp is really necessary. There are plenty of other cars and options out there besides the WRX / RSX-S and as already mentioned, LS1's are probably a safe bet for you. I think saying you want a 12 second DD is better than saying you want 400hp.

i want an 11 sec dd

^^^ get a bike, lol
    2005 Blogeye - STi @ Cobb Stage 2
    Tanabe Medallion Touring Catback, ERZ downpipe
    Stance GR+ Coilover, Cusco F/R Swaybar, Kartboy F/R Endlink, Cusco Front Strut Bar, STi Rear Strut Bar, RE-01R

^^^to dangerous

choose a different car...

if you want a 400+whp 11sec. dd you should really consider a larger displacement rwd car.... i have several cars (for several reasons) my current dd is my 03 focus SVT... 170hp(flywheel) 140ft-lbs, its bone stock and n/a, it has a six speed b**** good on gas (37MPG avg), others with the same car have figures of 400+hp, but its just rediculous in a fwd car, traction, torque steer, not fun... my 92 mustang had 300rwhp (wheres that dyno slip?) i spent almost no money getting there, the only real money i spent (1500 bucks) was on my new rear end once i got to 300rwhp... (sorry 28spline axles and open difs with 100k hard miles on them like to get chewed) that car is fast and mechanically reliable, but its not my dd because its a bit unreliable in the snow... my suggestion is if you want 11seconds in a dd, look at a mustang (any year) camaro (again any year) toyota supra, 80's vette (they are cheaper now) etc. if you want 11 seconds that feels like 400hp check out a rx7, any gen, they are all friggin fast, and accept turbo power really well...(know anything about a wenkel?) but to get 11seconds out of either of the two you are interested in and maintain dd status for four years is a very expensive and lofty goal.... just kickin in a couple pennies....

numbers don't mean as much as you think.
    I beat a corvette 4 times in a row last weekend at the strip.
    I have a 12 second daily driver 2002 wrx.
    as far as power mods go, I've spent
    100-tmic
    750- vf30+sti pink injectors
    400-cobb protune
    700-cobb AP
    -700 sell cobb after protune
    90 tactrix cable
    300ish downpipe

what's that, 1640? give or take some bucks

granted i've dropped WAYYY more than that on susp, brakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SVTorWRX View Post
    if you want 11 seconds thats a reliable daily driver that feels like 400hp check out a rx7 with an ls1 motor,
    fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTorWRX View Post
    (know anything about a wenkel?).
    yes, unreliable, crap fuel economy, and no torque

personally i would only get into an rx-7 if it was a project car and have another DD. i love them, but i would stay away from them because there will be ALOT of wrench time/down time because there is so much that needs to be addressed to get a rotory into the 11's RELIABLY
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.