Subaru WRX vs. Acura RSX Type-S - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX vs. Acura RSX Type-S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by mebcitadel That's about the layout + numbers I got for the RSX, totaling out at around 10,000 ...

  1. #16
    Registered User bboylocob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by mebcitadel View Post
    That's about the layout + numbers I got for the RSX, totaling out at around 10,000 before suspension and brake stuff. I can find Type-S in my area for about 18k with less than 30k miles so that's prob what I would get. WRX is about the same.

    How exactly did it "get expensive" I mean, once the parts are on and the car is tuned your essentially ready to go... Or are you talking about breaking parts or...?

    I'm starting to think RSX would be the better car for my goals, although a WRX looks better IMO. Then again, close to or at 400whp on a FWD car is going to be an issue to say the least... lol.
    it got expensive cuz the credit card bill came in.plus the traction issue.400whp is useless on a fwd car.

    with a wrx to reach 350whp all you really need is
    20g-new 1200
    intercooler-900
    fuel pump-90
    injectors-300
    tbe-700
    em-700(depending on what you use could be a lot less)
    tune-350
    when tranny breaks-4500-5000.
    look on peoples face when a 4door 4banger shoots out the whole and runs low 12's and possible 11's-priceless!!!!
    thats just a high ruff est. you can get a lot of these parts for a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by bboylocob; 08-06-2007 at 07:57 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by mebcitadel View Post



    25K? That seems excessive for what you have done to your car. I haven't quite done the same for a WRX, but as far as the Type-S I've "built" one to a little over 300 for well under 10k. Maybe RSX parts are a lot cheaper than WRX parts...?
    The parts alone add up to well past 15k, and then there is labor at $95 an hour. No, it wasn't cheap, but heres why I love it.

    -Looks stock other than the slightly lower stance.
    -Passes inspection when plugged into the OBD-II for NJ state inspection.
    -Cops don't bother me.
    -neither do the punk ass kids who want to race anything with stickers or a wing.
    -Faster than stock EVO/STI
    -Better handling and ride than EVO/STI
    -Cheaper to insure
    -24mpg (on the 5-speed), still working on my first tank on the 6-speed but it looks like it should be about the same

    And most of all - it's mine. Had someone told me the end result - I think I would have thrown up, but it's about the journey as well as the destination when it comes to modding. I bought my car and planned to leave it stock. Then I just wanted to upgrade the brakes. I started reading, and searched forums like crazy to figure out what mod I wanted to do next. Start searching, and you'll figure out what is right for you.

    Oh, and Honda's have no torque compared to just about anyone else - don't buy a honda.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

  4. #18
    Registered User bboylocob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    137
    yea when modding your car is all about what you want.when i first got my wrx i just wanted to go stg.2 so i did.but now after research and a lot of reading.i changed my goals and plans.i want a stock look but a beast under the hood.that is why the outside is staying stock even the muffler.but i will have hopfully by the winter of 2008 i will be complete with the 20g,fmic, ppg gears, protune.my goal is to break into the 11's.

  5. #19
    Registered User viperuws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Algonquin, Illinois
    Posts
    865
    Why don't you think more realisticly and maybe buy a 240 or something for cheap and build it up? My friend got his 240 for about 10k and threw in 15kish in mods and got around 400rwhp with his boost turned up.(he blew a few pistons the first time and learned he had to go forged. )

    I mean, it sounds like your asking for a miracle. The only real way to get a reliable 400+whp car is to buy one stock like a z06 or something. I assume you wont be babying your car if you want to mod it to 400+whp so I personally do not find your requirements possible with those 2 cars. But I am no car guru so my opinion matters as much as a babies opinion on quantum physics. (Babies always think their right, but in reality there are 3 types of quarks, not 2! Stupid babies.)
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

  6. #20
    Registered User bboylocob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by viperuws View Post
    Why don't you think more realisticly and maybe buy a 240 or something for cheap and build it up? My friend got his 240 for about 10k and threw in 15kish in mods and got around 400rwhp with his boost turned up.(he blew a few pistons the first time and learned he had to go forged. )

    I mean, it sounds like your asking for a miracle. The only real way to get a reliable 400+whp car is to buy one stock like a z06 or something. I assume you wont be babying your car if you want to mod it to 400+whp so I personally do not find your requirements possible with those 2 cars. But I am no car guru so my opinion matters as much as a babies opinion on quantum physics. (Babies always think their right, but in reality there are 3 types of quarks, not 2! Stupid babies.)
    thats is true.

  7. #21
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    I have stage 2 (cobb) and I dyno'd close the previous poster (221whp/280wtrq). 400+whp seems like a commitment to a different kind of car when talking about a WRX (more money, more mods, and getting them all in sync).

    If your set on the WRX look, I say go with it. For the $$$ you want to put into it, you can surely have a nice DD with more power than 90% of the cars on the road.

    If you want to get past 400whp and need to stay in your budget, than consider an F-body Camaro or Trans Am or 04 GTO. You should be able to get an LS1-powered car with plenty of money left over for headers, cam, tune, etc and hit 400rwhp easily.

    But then... it's not a WRX...

    One more thing: As already mentioned, insurance for a WRX is going to be a huge expense. My WRX is double what my GTO costs to insure.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    11
    I guess I was aiming way too high with my 400whp numbers, but again I never claimed to really know a ton about what I was talking about, which is why I'm here... To learn. Maybe low to mid 300's is more realistic for a DD, and I'm sure it'd still be a beast and fun as hell to drive. I just thought 400 was an obtainable number. When it comes down to it I really just want to easily be able to beat a stock STi.

    Quote Originally Posted by bboylocob View Post
    it got expensive cuz the credit card bill came in.plus the traction issue.400whp is useless on a fwd car.

    with a wrx to reach 350whp all you really need is
    20g-new 1200
    intercooler-900
    fuel pump-90
    injectors-300
    tbe-700
    em-700(depending on what you use could be a lot less)
    tune-350
    when tranny breaks-4500-5000.
    look on peoples face when a 4door 4banger shoots out the whole and runs low 12's and possible 11's-priceless!!!!
    thats just a high ruff est. you can get a lot of these parts for a lot cheaper.
    So how bad exactly is the transmission on a WRX? Is the STi transmission a ton better, as in it's a WRX specific thing? I don't plan on launching at 6,000rpm, and I will probably never take this to the dragstrip to race. This car is for my own personal enjoyment. Even street racing other cars just isn't my thing.

    How are you going to end up breaking the tranny on a WRX anyway?


    Quote Originally Posted by viperuws View Post
    Why don't you think more realisticly and maybe buy a 240 or something for cheap and build it up? My friend got his 240 for about 10k and threw in 15kish in mods and got around 400rwhp with his boost turned up.(he blew a few pistons the first time and learned he had to go forged. )

    I mean, it sounds like your asking for a miracle. The only real way to get a reliable 400+whp car is to buy one stock like a z06 or something. I assume you wont be babying your car if you want to mod it to 400+whp so I personally do not find your requirements possible with those 2 cars. But I am no car guru so my opinion matters as much as a babies opinion on quantum physics. (Babies always think their right, but in reality there are 3 types of quarks, not 2! Stupid babies.)
    That's just as simple as I don't like the cars, the look and overall "package" of the RSX and WRX are what suits my taste, although I had considered a 240. I don't think that would be a very reliable car though would it? I hardly know anything about them.



    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I have stage 2 (cobb) and I dyno'd close the previous poster (221whp/280wtrq). 400+whp seems like a commitment to a different kind of car when talking about a WRX (more money, more mods, and getting them all in sync).

    If your set on the WRX look, I say go with it. For the $$$ you want to put into it, you can surely have a nice DD with more power than 90% of the cars on the road.

    If you want to get past 400whp and need to stay in your budget, than consider an F-body Camaro or Trans Am or 04 GTO. You should be able to get an LS1-powered car with plenty of money left over for headers, cam, tune, etc and hit 400rwhp easily.

    But then... it's not a WRX...

    One more thing: As already mentioned, insurance for a WRX is going to be a huge expense. My WRX is double what my GTO costs to insure.
    Exactly... I'm set on the WRX look or the Type-S look. I really do want to spend 10k on it, with a big reason being I want to do it on my own and learn about the whole process of tuning cars.

    I really think I just overshot my horsepower goals by about 100 lol. I'm guessing most everyone would agree with the amount of money I'd be willing to spend mid or low 300 is reachable and reliable?

    Also, insurance and gas aren't an issue for me. I'm fairly sure I'll get a smart comment on this but my parents are paying for my car, gas, AND insurance. I pay for my mods. Before anyone gets really pissy, it was a deal that whatever I saved them in scholarships, they would half it and buy my a car (I got $40,000+ academic scholarships, but good God my parents are buying me a 18,000 car can I really complain?! lol). So basically, I can purchase whatever I want for mods, I just have to work for it. If I work enough for $1,000 a month, or $2,000 a month, that's what I get. So for the next few years money's just not my concern, it's what car would be perfect for me, as one of these two cars is basically like a dream car for me.
    Last edited by mebcitadel; 08-06-2007 at 09:41 PM.

  9. #23
    Registered User BigB007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,539
    Just out of curiosity if you aren't going to take the car to the dragstrip or street race or any racing of any kind auto x whatever, is it really necessary to have a car at 300whp I am content with the power of my close to stock wrx which I think puts out 180-190 something whp I can't remember the exact numbers. This seems pretty quick to me for a daily driver and maybe you would just be happy with those it would be reliable and you wouldn't have to worry about the tranny that much unless you are just horrible at driving stick. In the end I say test drive both a wrx and rsx and see which one you like better
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

  10. #24
    Registered User bboylocob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    137
    the tranny is made to handle the power it came with.but when you add performance parts that add mega tq the tranny dont like it much.it really depends on how you drive

  11. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    Just out of curiosity if you aren't going to take the car to the dragstrip or street race or any racing of any kind auto x whatever, is it really necessary to have a car at 300whp I am content with the power of my close to stock wrx which I think puts out 180-190 something whp I can't remember the exact numbers. This seems pretty quick to me for a daily driver and maybe you would just be happy with those it would be reliable and you wouldn't have to worry about the tranny that much unless you are just horrible at driving stick. In the end I say test drive both a wrx and rsx and see which one you like better
    This is really just me getting a car I don't deserve and my want to know how to tune it and do all the engine work myself. I'm sure I'll end up racing down back roads more than a couple times but it's really not my thing. However, for some reason driving excessivly fast when I'm by myself or with a friend or two is. I'm in it for bragging rights, the firsthand knowledge I can potentially get out of this, to be able to feel what 300-350whp feels like, and to have a sick car lol.

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by bboylocob View Post
    the tranny is made to handle the power it came with.but when you add performance parts that add mega tq the tranny dont like it much.it really depends on how you drive
    Is it an STi or WRX problem? Is there any other place I could read up on the problem, or are there any parts you can "reinforce" it with so to speak...?

  13. #27
    Registered User BigB007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,539
    It is basically just the wrx where the bigger problem lies the more power you add the bigger your chances are of ruining the tranny. STi is better but still not unbreakable it can be broken just takes a lot more.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

  14. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    It is basically just the wrx where the bigger problem lies the more power you add the bigger your chances are of ruining the tranny. STi is better but still not unbreakable it can be broken just takes a lot more.
    Hmm. That's a shame, TBH, I like the WRX a lot more in terms of look, sound, drive, etc... But really this would be a big issue at the point of where I want to take the car.

  15. #29
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142
    The trans in the WRX was originally purpose designed for a FWD 90hp car. It's been beefed up a bit through the years, but the main problem is that with AWD spinning the tires to waste extra stress on the driveline is less of an option. So instead the pressure finds the weakest point and breaks it. In the 5-speed, it's the teeth on the gears which shred and go boom.

    Driven correctly, and in stock form, the trans is fine. However, if you are at stock levels and banging on the gears (not rev matching at all, or just dumping the clutch between gears regardless of engine rpm as compared to velocity and gear choice) it will break. There are people with +300awhp on the stock trans and no issues. There are people who break them stock. It's all about how you drive it.

    I was very nice to mine, but on July 14th I was racing a friend and shifted into 2nd gear very aggressively - it went boom. Two weeks and $4600 later($3600 for parts, the rest for labor), I have a 6-speed from an STI in my car.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

  16. #30
    Registered User 4WDwRx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Queens, NY .... Jax, FL
    Posts
    175
    400- 450 whp. you should be looking at f-bodies.
    O2 WRBlue

    (( MODs + Pics ))

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •