WRX weight vs. others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX weight vs. others within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know the weight of my 06 TR is 3200 and at the time I bought it I thought that ...

WRX weight vs. others

I know the weight of my 06 TR is 3200 and at the time I bought it I thought that was heavy.

Now, my girlfriend's parents were looking at Audis and I thumbed through the pamphlet only to find that the A4, S4 and RS4 all weigh 4000.

This got me to wondering about other cars and from research I see that the new mustangs all weigh 4000 and now it looks like my TR is really light compared to the new cars coming out.

Is anyone else disturbed by this new trend toward heavy cars?
    Car-less

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBlas66 View Post
    I know the weight of my 06 TR is 3200 and at the time I bought it I thought that was heavy.

Now, my girlfriend's parents were looking at Audis and I thumbed through the pamphlet only to find that the A4, S4 and RS4 all weigh 4000.

This got me to wondering about other cars and from research I see that the new mustangs all weigh 4000 and now it looks like my TR is really light compared to the new cars coming out.

Is anyone else disturbed by this new trend toward heavy cars?
    The average person would rather have navigation, tv screens, self parking equipment, sound deading, plush seats, and all that stuff then a light weight good handling car. That is why the American market is so watered down.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Yep the average vehicle weight is now 4200LB
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not all Mustangs weigh 4000 pounds. A V6 coupe starts in the 3350 range. The GT500 does weigh in at 3900, I believe.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Safety equipment is heavy too and more cars are using more safety equipment (i.e. airbags). Every year and every model change cars are getting safer and heavier (mostly, the Z06 being a nice exception).
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Rumor is the new WRX will weigh 50 lbs. less than the current one.

Holy kudos to Subaru for this!
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Rumor is the new WRX will weigh 50 lbs. less than the current one.

Holy kudos to Subaru for this!
    That's doubly impressive considering they won't be using aluminum for weight savings anymore.

Anyone else think the new Impreza looks even uglier? I swear Subaru has this odd tilt on instilling brand loyalty to the Impreza. You buy an Impreza, then you fall in love with the car. Everyone says they think it's ugly or odd, but you drive it - and you like it. Then you hear the next model is coming. It's going to be faster, and have X amount more bells and whistles, but you see it - and you think the one you own looks better.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I know. It's amazing, to me, that my friends '05 S4 weighs over 1000 lbs more than my mazdaspeed protege.

I just got my car corner balanced and with coilovers, that are 26lbs lighter than the stock suspension, the car weight 2787 lbs...

The S4 is 3800 lbs!

I understand it's apples to oranges, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post

You buy an Impreza, then you fall in love with the car. Everyone says they think it's ugly or odd, but you drive it - and you like it. Then you hear the next model is coming. It's going to be faster, and have X amount more bells and whistles, but you see it - and you think the one you own looks better.
    Ha, I agree. I like'd the 02-03 the most, then the 04-05. When I got the 07, I didn't think I'd be as happy as if I had an 02-03. Now I can't stop staring at my 07 or driving it!

With the weight issue, I've always been confused about it. I see that some imports seem to be lighter (i.e. civic SI) and that makes them a bit quicker and mobile. But cars like the Mustang, as said above, and the Charger, are a lot heavier. With all the weight and the extra horsepower, still seems like they are only marginally faster, at least until higher speeds. You want the hemi, you pay the price.
    Sold - 07' OBP WRX LTD
    Now - 07' OBP STI

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I know. It's amazing, to me, that my friends '05 S4 weighs over 1000 lbs more than my mazdaspeed protege.

I just got my car corner balanced and with coilovers, that are 26lbs lighter than the stock suspension, the car weight 2787 lbs...

The S4 is 3800 lbs!

I understand it's apples to oranges, but still.
    v8's weigh more that 4-cylinders...
    '06 wrx wr-blue

Quote Originally Posted by speedDman1 View Post
    v8's weigh more that 4-cylinders...
    An awd weighs more than fwd. I know that. It's just that the B5 S4 was about 3500 to 3600lbs and everyone thought that was too heavy.

My old A4 was about 3300ish, now they're 3600. Weight creep. It's not cool.

It's also one of the reasons that the average gas mileage hasn't really gone up significantly in 20 years.

The engines ARE more efficient. They just have to lug more around.

I mean I know what the weight is comprised of (safety features, computers, etc.), but I guess I would have thought that more of these companies would have baseline models or sport models.

But now, even sport models weigh a lot. If you want a sports car, you shouldn't be looking at a car with tv's everywhere.

There should be more of a definitive line between sports cars and luxury cars.

I don't even think that my 06 TR is good looking. It's OK, but I wouldn't drool over it. It's unwashed, with scratches and a big scrape on the rear. I used a Sawzall to cut the front bumper for the FMIC that I don't even have.

I like this car because of the torque and the ease with which I got to 340 whp all for under 26 grand. And now with PPG gears (and still under 30K) the car feels indestructible and stupid fast.

I hate heavy cars.
    Car-less

Yes, it is quite bad how much cars are weighing these days. But it seems unreasonable to compare the wrx to cars like Audi's weight wise.

It only seems reasonable to compare the wrx to cars it its own class. In which case, the wrx is actually rather heavy.

The Civic Si 4-door, MS3, GTi, Cooper-S, etc... All weigh less than the wrx's 3200-3300. So in relation to luxury based cars the wrx is pretty light. It relation to cars in its class, it is a bit heavy.... But the wrx is the only one with AWD, so that kinda gives cause to its weight.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Although safety equipment and features have an affect on weight, a chassis engineer would tell you that the primary factors in weight are dimensions. Americans generally feel more is better, and they generally demand larger and larger cars. Cars in each segment have increased in size, and correspondingly in weight over the years.

The Impreza is roughly 175X68 (area of 11,900 square inches), 3200 lbs. It is a little heavier actually than you would expect at this size because of the AWD powertrain.

Heavier cars, like the Mustang, are also larger. A Mustang is about 188X74, or 13912 square inches, with a weight of around 3400 lbs.

A Charger is a lot heavier at 4000 lbs, but it is also about 200X74.5 (14900 sqr inches).

A Civic is similar in size to a WRX ( about 175X68) and is about 2900 lbs, a bit lighter, but also has a lighter powertrain without the AWD setup.

Anyway, the point being the larger cars are heavier, and cars keep getting larger. (Look how much bigger the Pontiac G6 is compared to an 80's Grand Am. Same segment, but the car is much, much bigger).

my friend has a EG civic with a dc2 type-r motor (b18c5 i think). He weighed in at 2200 lbs and it pulls even with me.
    282 AWHP...267 lb-ft torque.
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

"he's a domestic fan with a hunger for rice"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.