WRX weight vs. others - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX weight vs. others within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; power to weight ratio makes a huge difference... with all of today's safety standards, you cannot get away with making ...

power to weight ratio makes a huge difference... with all of today's safety standards, you cannot get away with making a light car. you may get more chassis rigidity, but you gain so much unneccesary weight with that!

a stripped down Civic EG6 with multi-point race cage weigh's under 2000lbs. a perfectly stiff chassis without the weight. today, a civic weigh's nearly 3000lbs!

the new EVO will be stiffer by some ridiculous amount like 200%, but its gaining 300lbs....

the future brings so much technology... yet it is being wasted on making the cars safer in the event that some idiot drives it into a wall. i guess humans just refuse to follow the law of natural selection...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX View Post
    power to weight ratio makes a huge difference... with all of today's safety standards, you cannot get away with making a light car. you may get more chassis rigidity, but you gain so much unneccesary weight with that!

a stripped down Civic EG6 with multi-point race cage weigh's under 2000lbs. a perfectly stiff chassis without the weight. today, a civic weigh's nearly 3000lbs!
    The civic has gotten bigger in recent years now. An old EG hatch didn't have much room at all, but the new Si sedan has more leg room in the rear than a wrx does. I still think it should weigh less, but you cannot expect it to be pushing only 2400-2500lbs and still seat 4-5 with today's basic technological equipment.
    I think it is all in the engineering though.

My 4th gen Maxima (96') was a 4door sedan with decent room, airbags, climate control, bose surround sound, sunroof, etc.. etc... and came with way more technology than my wrx does and that mid-size sedan only weighed in at 3,150 which is around or a tad lighter than a TR wrx.
    The barebones 4th gen maximas (GXE) with no real options, which puts it pretty onpar with a TR WRX ammentities wise, consistantly came in at 2,900lbs.

So to me, that car stands as a testament that if engineers REALLY try, they can make a decent sized car with decent options and keep the weight good. Just look at new Maxima's. Find one the same features you would get on a 4th gen and while the 4th gen weighs 3,000-3,100 the new 6th gen weighs nearly 3,500. Not much more room, not much faster, no more options......
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

hey at least cars like the lotus elise make us remember what light weight is all about... these days even a Miata is nearly 3000lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    That's doubly impressive considering they won't be using aluminum for weight savings anymore.

Anyone else think the new Impreza looks even uglier? I swear Subaru has this odd tilt on instilling brand loyalty to the Impreza. You buy an Impreza, then you fall in love with the car. Everyone says they think it's ugly or odd, but you drive it - and you like it. Then you hear the next model is coming. It's going to be faster, and have X amount more bells and whistles, but you see it - and you think the one you own looks better.
    yeah i agree. my friend brought home the new issue of motor trend with it on the cover. good god it sucks. and the interior is worse than ours is. all black it doesnt even look 3 dimensional. it looks cheaper in my opinion, even with the nav and steering controls. the back of it looks like a ford focus and a b9 tribeca got drunk and horny one night but they were both anti-abortion. im very very happy with my 06.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX View Post
    hey at least cars like the lotus elise make us remember what light weight is all about... these days even a Miata is nearly 3000lbs.

Miata is still much lighter than a mere few other cars. 2441-2573 depending on trim, top and transmission. Mini is the porker of the small cars.

As far away to many of us this example may be, I believe that Ferrari has stated that it has a prerogative to not only not increase the power of its future models but to decrease as well. It shows someone out there cares about light weight cars, which is great. Hopefully others will follow suit. Though, like I said, it is Ferrari.
    Last edited by Bboy AJ; 04-25-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: I said "weight" twice when I meant to say "power" instead
    2006 WRX TR

i agree 10000%, with all the advancements in technology you would think they could figure out how to build a big car that is safe but still keep the weight down.. thats why I like my celica gt-s 2500 curb weight and still has a 4 star crash rating from the nhtsa

I Support ClubWRX
    While we all appreciate the numerous performance benefits of a lightweight car, I'd gladly accept a few hundred pounds worth of safety for a fractionally slower, less agile car. All other things equal, mass is still important in a collision. Might as well make the extra weight count with extra airbags, door reinforcements, thicker pillars, etc.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12