07 GT500 vs 06 STi - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 07 GT500 vs 06 STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If i recall right 99-04 had IRS. There was a year (I think 01) where they didnt offer a cobra. ...

I Support ClubWRX
    If i recall right 99-04 had IRS. There was a year (I think 01) where they didnt offer a cobra.

I have been away from mustangs for to long...i used to know this stuff pretty good.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    If i recall right 99-04 had IRS. There was a year (I think 01) where they didnt offer a cobra.

I have been away from mustangs for to long...i used to know this stuff pretty good.
    2000 only offered a Cobra R, they were very limited in terms of production and 2002 did not have a Cobra. The IRS came in the 99-04 Cobras, but the platform was not made for an IRS so they had to work around that to make the IRS work in the car. The current platform was made to house an IRS or a live axle. They went with the live axle because it saved a lot of money, I believe over 60 million (I could be way off but that is the number that sticks out in my mind) and Ford has had cash flow problems, so the money saving move, also, as said before, the drag racers prefer it, so it worked out for most.

I love the GT500 and if they went for sticker, I would get one. Yes they are porky, but there is a lot of untapped power in the car. A pulley, tune, exhaust and intake can get you 600 rwhp, so that will make up for some of the weight disadvantage. The engine seems to be very strong and very receptive to mods, just like the 4.6L from the 03/04 Cobras. Obviously if you a slick handling car, the GT500 isn't going to top the Vette, but there are and will be plenty of suspension upgrades from Ford and other aftermarket companies that can cure that. The FR Mustang has won the 24 hours at Daytona over M3s and all other competitors, so the potential for handling is there.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    A pulley, tune, exhaust and intake can get you 600 rwhp, so that will make up for some of the weight disadvantage. The engine seems to be very strong and very receptive to mods, just like the 4.6L from the 03/04 Cobras.
    seen this in person

tune, intake, pulley, headers, exhaust and a ported blower

580whp on CA91 octane, up from 400whp bone stock with 1000miles on the clock

weight isnt much of a problem when MINOR mods ad 180whp
    Anthony

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd still much rather have a 3-400hp lightweight car than a 9000 hp big fat pig. But that's just me. I just don't like the handling dynamics of heavyweights.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

The way I look at it is GT500 is almost twice as much as a STi. An STi with another 15k in mods should make quick work of the GT500 in the turns and hang pretty good in a straight line. Plus much safer to drive, a little rain or a heavy foot and the GT500 will spin out, in places the STi won't come close to spinning out.

uke
    Quote Originally Posted by CadGod-06sti View Post
    The way I look at it is GT500 is almost twice as much as a STi. An STi with another 15k in mods should make quick work of the GT500 in the turns and hang pretty good in a straight line. Plus much safer to drive, a little rain or a heavy foot and the GT500 will spin out, in places the STi won't come close to spinning out.
    I think that's like comparing apples and oranges. And isn't "x car is cheaper and the money made up makes it faster" a classic ricer argument?
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

Quote Originally Posted by uke View Post
    And isn't "x car is cheaper and the money made up makes it faster" a classic ricer argument?
    True. But in this we're missing the Honda. So it totally negates the ricer argument. hahaha. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

mm40K, if I could pick one up for 40K I'd have it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by CadGod-06sti View Post
    The way I look at it is GT500 is almost twice as much as a STi. An STi with another 15k in mods should make quick work of the GT500 in the turns and hang pretty good in a straight line.
    i hate the, my car is better than the more expensive car cuz if i spent the money i saved it would be way better than the more expensive car.

1. 15k into your sti still wont make it keep up with a gt500. a stage2 sti tuned on 91 makes around 290-300whp. a gt500 with equivalent mods, makes close to 600whp on 91

15k will get you to 600whp on race gas, another $500 into the "stage2" gt500 for a race gas tune might get close to 800whp, and your fully built probably $50k sti is still slower than the gt500 with $2500 in mods . and since the guy that bought the gt500 more than likely was stupid and paid the $20k mark up, $2500 is a drop in the bucket for mods and damn near every mustang gets modded in one way or another. im also fairly certain the cost of building the bottom end of the gt500 is inline with the cost of building a 2.5l shortblock, depending on the options. fully forged internals and darton sleves into an sti block will cost about the same as billet internals for the gt500 which will support, what, 1500+whp

the only things the STI will ever be better in is build quality, and handling. but how many people buy a mustang with aspirations of road race and autocross? the number is FAR less than the number of people that buy STI's and drag race them as much as they can.

2. generally, people buy the cheaper car because they cant afford the more expensive car. im damn sure that if brand new sti's sold for the same price as a 2007 TR, no one would choose the TR over the STI.

this further makes the "put the money i saved into mods" bull**** arguement less valid. you dont have the extra 10/15/20k to dump into the car, so you shouldnt even mention it.

if i had $60k right now to buy a car, and i had to choose between a gt500 or an STI, hands down i would take the GT500.

for these reasons
    1. its faster
    2. much less common than an sti
    3. much more responsive to mods
    4. way better aftermarket
    5. its a 2dr car
    6. im not a moron, and i would be able to get one for MSRP, so right there i would have 20k left over. spend 5k on the simple engine mods and some good suspension parts and a nice set of wheels. right there, with out any sweat, it will be faster than damn near everything else on the road

on a side note, if i had 60k to spend on a car, i would take out a 20k loan and get a used 996TT. as awesome as the gt500 is, its no 996TT .
    Anthony

Yea, whatever floats your boat. Honestly, I hate these arguments. How do you rate what car is better? 0-60, 1/4 mile, panty drops, quality, price? If dumb@ss wanted to spend 20k over MSRP then good for him, as long as he is happy and doesnt kill someone being an idiot on the road.
    My brother owned a 300zx(non TT), 350Z and now a C6. He was happier with the 300zx. It just made him happier! He is thinking about buying a used 300zx and just making it his project.
    People forget the factor.
    If you have the money for a Shelby, than all the power to you. I personally would rather have this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knight%20Rider%20498.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12