me vs m3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on me vs m3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok.. so my last car was a civic hatch with a stock motor, so i wasnt used to beating anything ...

me vs m3

ok.. so my last car was a civic hatch with a stock motor, so i wasnt used to beating anything but tercels.... but now ive got the WRX.... just broke the 1500 mile mark and ive gotten a good 'kill' in the stock wrx:

M3, late 90s bmw m3 with mirror tints and "m3 power" written everywhere was punching the throttle and weaving in and out of traffic on a small 4 lane street..... i followed suit slowly and when traffic cleared i punched it in high second and blew past him and stayed there for the next few blocks while he held back and made alot of noise..... all i ever hear about is how fast m3s are how they can spin the wheels at any time etc etc etc so i really wanted to test this guy.... he was in the lane behind me... but we were still on the small road so i wasnt speeding or anything, just keeping him behind me while obeying all laws.,... anyway

i pull into the next lane and wait for him to pass, as soon as he did, i got right back behind him and prayed that he was gonna get on the highway.... sure enough he did and threw a big downshift onto the ramp showing his exhaust off and makin a ton of noise....... i left it in second on the on-ramp where i would normally be in third.... i was hanging around 4500 rpm i think

as we got on the highway he tried to take off but i was right on him and had to hold back so i didnt hit his rear bumper.... i totally expected him to take off like a bat out of hell but he couldnt..... and then....................... he tried to shift and made a horrible sound (mishift or something) and as soon as he got it in gear i was passing him,

he had a girl in the passenger seat which made it better, and his arms where in the air after he got the car back in gear in disgust....!!! ha ha ha i justed pulled and pulled and pulled until finally i closed it down at 80 and he pulled on me, and then i had to get off the highway and go back hom becuase i passed my house just so i could follow and race this m3 with silver mirror tints and "m3 power'' i guess its safe to say that i t wasnt a real m3 too bad i cant tell the diff with the older ones

im just used to driving a civic so the thought of beating a fast car is sick~!

next up is my three friends fast ass hondas:
    worked type r
    worked b16 in an EG hatch
    and a worked b16 in a CRX

those three im gonna wait for until i can launch better... i just had to join in and share a story

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good 'kill', but somehow I doubt that you ran into a real M3. I will not say that the guy was not trying, since he was by the sound of things, but even the previous 240HP M3 will take out a stock WRX form a roll. I think the 'M3' that you raced was probably a lower end model with M3 badges installed for effect. I may be wrong, but a WRX will need at least TurboXS Stage 2 to pull the previous M3 from a roll. The new M3's require Stage 4 mods for the WRX to be on an even keel with the M3 from a roll.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

i doubt an owner of a true m3 would molest its classy image with mirror tints, although nothing is shocking when it comes to some cars

My friend has a 1995 blue M3 coupe, bone stock, 75k miles. I'm basically a stage II+, and from a stop or 1/4 mile I'll completely and utterly own him. I mean he's far enough back that it's a joke. From a third gear roll around 50-60mph, I'll pull on him, but not by a ton, and if we go from 75-80 he'll pull on me. Over 100 (in other words, 4th gear) I'll stay even for a few seconds and then he's GONE. I think a Stage IV WRX would murder an E36 from a roll though, at any speed. I'm looking forward to slaughtering him from these higher-speed rolls when I slap my new VF30 in....

Originally posted by Schaf100
    I think a Stage IV WRX would murder an E36 from a roll though, at any speed. I'm looking forward to slaughtering him from these higher-speed rolls when I slap my new VF30 in....
    Yeah, its not really a close race between an older model M3 and a stage IV. I beat them pretty good from a roll and absolutely smoke them from a stop. A new M3 is a different story, its a lot closer from a stop, and I've never raced one from a roll.
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

reminds me of when i sort of raced an m3. he was alone and i had 3 passengers (4 people including myself)

i wasnt sure we were racing cuz he didnt look at me at all but he took off with wheels spinning so i then followed him. he pulled like 2 cars on me since i launched easy and than was left at under 2000rpm where the turbo isn't even started yet. but as soon as it spooled he wasn't gaining much after that, though by the time i hit about 70mph (public street so that was already fast enough for me) he probably was about 3-4 cars ahead of me. I thought he should be MUCH further ahead with all that momentum he had going early on and my 600lbs of passengers i had with me.

i was stock back then.
    and his m3 looked totally stock.
    but it could have been an automatic, and is actually likely to have been auto since he didn't pull as much as i thought he would

i drive a 97 M3 and i test drove a stock WRX recently and thinking of getting one, they are pretty even from a roll but once past about 80mph, the E36 will pull ahead, like u said he missed a shift. But as soon as the rex is modified(lightly), it will take a stock M3 from a launch and from a roll but i think topend will be about the same.
    Norman

Originally posted by jigga
    Good 'kill', but somehow I doubt that you ran into a real M3. I will not say that the guy was not trying, since he was by the sound of things, but even the previous 240HP M3 will take out a stock WRX form a roll. I think the 'M3' that you raced was probably a lower end model with M3 badges installed for effect. I may be wrong, but a WRX will need at least TurboXS Stage 2 to pull the previous M3 from a roll. The new M3's require Stage 4 mods for the WRX to be on an even keel with the M3 from a roll.
    even now, in stock form, i wouldn't be affraid to run a stock e36 m3.

When I had only exhaust mod's (uppipe and midpipe) and samco hoses, I ran with an M3 from a roll and we were dead even. With lightened pulleys and a utec, I'm sure that I could have pulled away.
    2002 WRX WRB

Originally posted by Jared703
    even now, in stock form, i wouldn't be affraid to run a stock e36 m3.
    You should be. Even if you get a good launch, he'll at least reel you in by the end of 1/4. If you bog even a little and Joe E36 hooks up, you'll never catch him. Once those things get going, the 20 lb-ft advantage becomes pretty evident. For one, it meant they didn't have to gear it down so much to get it off the line (though they did gear it down compared to Euro-spec versions because of the US version's lower power output). Good torque on those babies, and it just keeps coming after the WRX runs out.

None of this is my cup of tea anyway. I could whip an M3 where it matters most.... out on the rallycross course.
    -BP
    RallyCross: "Eating dirt is a basic motor skill."

I am not so sure that a stock wrx would do too well against the older model version from a roll. From what I have read on the bimmer forums, the M3 (240HP model) was actually underrated if you can believe that..I think turboxs stage 2 wrx's hang from a roll, but i am not sure what happens at higher speeds.

Wow, my 2ooth post!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

www.dtmpower.net is an awesome BMW Forum

I drive a 97 E36 M3, and up here at 5000 feet I stay far away from the turbo'd cars... I did run a stock WRX wagon once from a roll, and ended up one or two cars ahead. From a stop, I probably would've lost...

PS I prefer bimmerforums.com over dtmpower.net, but both are good sites...
    1997 Arctic Silver M3/2
    UUC Tranny Mounts, UUC Clutch Bushings, Motorsport X-Brace, Alpine CDA 7894, JBL BP600.1, JL 12W3 V2

I have a 97M3 with DINAN software and intake and just so happens that I ran into a guy driving a WRX this morning (actually that's why I came here thinking he is a member, if he is then: good run!, if not oh well) and although we didn't get a chance to go at it really it was still a good run. Two things:
    I was ahead of him going around 60 and once the highway cleared I floored it, looked in the mirror and it seemed like I may have cought him by surprise. In any case he did get on it but by the time I shut down at ~120 he was very far behind me. Then we evened out eventually and at around 70 we lined up for a while (exchanged thumbs up) and I dropped it into third thinking that he would get on it, which he did. He started pulling and to the end of third (not much left of it) I didn't seem to be able to gain an inch on him.

my .02

while i was getting some work done to my car, i was driving on buckley to get to 94 and this black e36 m3 was following me so at the on ramp it is 2 then 1 lane..... we went from a 35 mph roll ad i ahniallated(sp?) 8 cars mabey...lol........friend of mine witha silver wrx was in the car also......silversubyrex i believe is hi sn.....anyway at the time i was and still am auto, catback no muffler jsut tip(3 in) and boost controller....i believe the up pipe could have still been in there at the time but stil i was surprised at my 4eats performance
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast