me vs m3 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on me vs m3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I raced an M3 before. Yellow m3 coupe...he was just DYING to race me. So we did, about 65-70 mph ...

I raced an M3 before. Yellow m3 coupe...he was just DYING to race me. So we did, about 65-70 mph roll and I beat him til 120, put about 3 cars. Yes...at 4th gear, he was catching up from 4 car or so length. That time I had intake, cat back exhaust and I was boosting 16.5 psi. He had someone next to him and I did not. It was fun.
    -soul

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A few weeks ago i ran into an M3. Initially i did not know because he was behind me at a stop light. Just from a quick glance i thought it was a 300 series. Really wasn't paying too much attention to him, however i am usually ready to stop it if they try to show me anything.

I was heading home turning left at the stop light. The light turns green and i stay in first gear a little longer just to see what happens. The BMW was really on my tall (which was a sign)so i pass my turnoff to go home and step on it. Don't know how long it took him to actually start going but i left him by a good margin. He was definately racing because he was not disappearing from my rearview mirror. However he caught a red light and i ended up continuing. So, i slowed down to let him catch up. As soon as he passed me i then noticed it was a nice looking M3. Well, i had just got dynotuned and am putting down 225 at the wheels so i just wanted to test everything out. I followed him onto the freeway (i know no chance-plus we were going up hill). Cars were in front of us so we did not really get moving till about 30-40mph. He took off and i followed him closely up to about 100. Then he started pulling away and i slowed cause i knew there was no chance i was going to catch him. They are pretty sweet at those speeds. We were actually heading south towards the border so we both ended up both turning around and headed back north. He wanted to do it again but i just cruised back home. Nice cars. I think a M3 is going to be my next car. Stop light to stop light WRX is nice, freeway M3 all the way. Nice 1-2 combo in the garage i think.

no question the 4wd is a no brainer for launching, you would really have to be a begginer to mess up a launch in these things. On the other hand the M3s were meant for highspeed cruising on the autobahn (well, maybe not so much the American versions) and ofcourse a very different racing circuit than the subarus. It often makes me sad that we rate these cars based on a "sport" that was never meant for these cars (ie drag racing )

Any car can be made to go fast and since most japanese cars are much cheaper compared to the german cars, more people drive them and therefore the aftermarket upgrades are much cheaper. When you are buying a more expensive car you should be able to pay more for aftermarket parts otherwise you probably got the wrong car for what you need. Everyone always complains how all the parts are so ex*****ve for the BMW, well it's a more expensive car (what else can you expect).

Then there are comparisons that are just plain ridiculous. How can you expect a naturally aspired car to win against just about anything pushing 16lbs of boost , if that M3 had a turbo and was pushing half the pressure I don't think you would be anywhere in sight. But then again the argument is at best academic. Comparing apples to oranges. It like saying I just beat a stock 78 corolla. There is no comparison.

if that M3 had a turbo and was pushing half the pressure I don't think you would be anywhere in sight.
    Know of any turbocharged M3's here in North Carolina? I'd love to test out your theory.

Afterall, I drive a cheap japanese four banger, there's no way I could beat a turbocharged m3.....
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Unfortunately I don't know anyone in Carolina with a turbo M3 but you don't have to be an engineer to figure out the approximate numbers (which btw are just that).

No need to be defensive, I was simply stating a fact. Subarus are in *fact* cheaper which doesn't have much to do with anything except for the fact the the aftermarket parts *are* cheaper.

Im sure people will chastize me as a crazy a$$ hole for posting this. But a year or two ago, when I was still pretty stock (just coil-overs, exhaust and a boost controller) I raced an black late 90s M3 Coupe on Rt 15 (the Merrit Parkway) in CT at speeds ranging from 120-140 for about 20 minutes. It was 2-3am, there was not traffic and we literally did not go below 120 for at least 10 minutes. We were back and forth and it was fairly even. I was impressed at the high speed handling this car had with what I assume was stock suspention.

PS - things that will give away a fake second gen. M3 for the future:

Front fascia - the bottom of the front bumper of the M3 is different

M3 emblems - they occur on the left side of the trunk and front quarter panels

Wheels/tires - they are significantly wider than the other 3 series

mirrors - solid/split look on the M3 vs. the fold back ones, basically shaped like WRX mirrors.

exhaust - the M3 has two tips where at least the 318 and 323/325 have one. the 328 may have two

rear fascia - the rear bumper is slightly different, for aero

body roll - the M3 has noticeably less body roll than the other trims - so if it rolls alot when he dips - its probably fake

VERY few fake M3s have all these angles covered.
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

str
    I tried hanging with a few and they always pulled away from me. Those things are mean.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Don't forget M3's have fender vents above and behind the front wheels.
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

Damn my sister has an 03 m3 and i drove that thing all summer in cali while i was visiting. I use to tear people new ***holes on the 4 lane highways everyday! I did race an sti from about 55 and i walked all over him! Mmmmm i took it to the strip (some track near or in LA) and i raced an evo and i whooped on him bad! He almost stalled haha must have been his first time.

there was vid of a turbo m3 roadster running a wrx on the freeway. well it wasnt much of a run, id say the m3 had upward 20 cars on him by the end of it. ive run my wrx an a stock m3 an i got it until about 125, right after the shift to the m3's 4th it just hops to 160, itll prolly do a solid 180 if there isnt a governer. i dont know, thats the highest i had, an it feels like its got room left as my wrx feals it is running out of gearing

the us 5 speed m3s are gear limited to 155mph

yeah i knew it would be somewhere around there. being a convertible it seemed very unstable past 140, but that could have been the road.

at 140 the car seems to sort of float on pavement and while it is rock steady it also feels a little too "light". I suppose a little down force from the rear spoiler would help but mine didn't come with one and I don't go that fast on daily basis so it seems like a useless thing to buy.

Here is a pic of my old M3. I traded it in for my Wrx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my pictures.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12