911's Vs Me?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 911's Vs Me? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My boss who has a 2005 Porsche 911 has invited me to a PCA (Porsche Club of America) event in ...

Registered User kriswhite_23505's Avatar

911's Vs Me?

My boss who has a 2005 Porsche 911 has invited me to a PCA (Porsche Club of America) event in the next few months at VIR (Virginia International Raceway). It is open to just about any performance car. He has a few of his buddies going that have 911s, a few 911 S models a Turbo 911 and even a GT3. I have a 2004 STI with the normal bolt on stuff: exhaust, down pipe, BOV (just kidding) Tein springs, HPS Brake pads, etc. I am getting a Cobb Accesport in three weeks and had planned on getting some 18 Rota P45s at the same time. Here is my question will I get terribly embarrassed out there? They have a backstretch that is 4 miles of straight away and I feel like I am going to be the laughing stock. Should I spend my money on more performance parts instead of the wheels? Any advice would be great!
    Thanks
    Kris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm pretty sure that 911's have somewhere around like 450 horsepower.. so I can't imagine you keeping up all that well. I don't know that you'll be totally embarrassed but if they're gonna be going WOT the whole time they're out there you will probably find yourself getting left behind.

Hmm.. just googled a bit.. looks like 911's run 12's stock, and GT3's will be running low 11's..

Even with a bigger turbo you probably won't be keeping up all that well. You have to remember that those cars cost about 120,000 new... 4 times what your STI was. I would go and have a good time, don't worry about the rich people having a faster car

I agree... it does sounds like fun, but I do feel you on the outcome or what not against cars that have very good, overall performance with good top end! Plus, you'll never know what type of cars will be showing up, so I don't think you'll standout the most for not keeping up, etc.

But I wouldn't worry about buying more performance parts for your STI for the sake of the event. Unless you plan on doing so, regardless of the event, then by all means. Personally, I wouldn't buy 18" wheels, unless it is light weight like that of the expensive counterparts. Probably a gt35 turbo will do you good out there, but that's quite expensive.
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 03-09-2007 at 01:33 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

If it is your first event, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping up with them. Worry more about your car and keeping it shiney side up. Just have a lot of fun, and if you do pass one or two of them, then that will be just gravy. They probably will not be completely hammering their $80000+ cars either for fear of crashing them too. Good luck keeping yourself restrained, I know I would have a damn hard time not going balls to the wall.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

I wouldn't necessarily say your going to get "embarrasssed" out there, but I wouldn't expect to take anyone. It all depends though, on a real track driving makes up for a lot more than a fast car does. I assume they have probably attended before, and if this is your first time on a track you will probably get owned.
    If there are any non-turbo 911's there you actually fair pretty well against them. A stage2 STi with springs should be able to keep up somewhat well, so at least there should be one or two cars you can hang with. The 911T is going to be considerably out of your reach, and you racing the GT3 would be a like a stock civic trying your STi, lol.

I am not sure I would spend tons of money modding my car just to impress some people with cars that cost 3X-4X what yours does. But if you really want some more power to help keep up then you can go ahead and upgrade your turbo and get a tune on that accessport. An 18G or 20G paired with a custom pro-tune will have you pulling ahead of the non-turbo 911's pretty well, but again, the GT3 and 911T will still be out of your reach.

It is not just about power on a real track. The 911 Porsche was built to be a weekday cruiser and a weekend track-attacker car. The STi has a different purpose, so do not feel so bad about it.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Good advice guys. I just think so highly of my car and I always think that it can beat everything out there. I've raced my Cobra before but never a STi. I'm looking forward to it and I guess I will stay with my original purchase plans. By the way, why shouldn't I get 18" wheels?

Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by kriswhite_23505 View Post
    Good advice guys. I just think so highly of my car and I always think that it can beat everything out there. I've raced my Cobra before but never a STi. I'm looking forward to it and I guess I will stay with my original purchase plans. By the way, why shouldn't I get 18" wheels?
    Increased weight and resistance - you will slow the car down. However, if you search and are willing to spend a chunk of change, lightweight forged 18" rims and lightweight tires can help negate this. On the plus side, a larger contact patch might slow you down, but it helps with handling for the most part. Not so much in the snow and rain though.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    You think 18 inch Rotas are going to help you go fast? You'd be better off sticking with a R compound on the stock wheels IMHO.

I dont see any reason why a GOOD driver in a PROPERLY set up STI modded like yours would be embarrassed. It wouldnt be a cake walk against 911t's or the GT3 but I'm sure there will be some older 911's, some boxsters, and a handful of 944's there. It's not all going to be super cars running around this track with a lonely Subaru.

Like everyone has said learning how to actually drive this car hard will help far more then mods. Without a gt-30+ size turbo and tuning you wont be walking many 911T's down a straight away but in the turns the stock turbo should be more then enough.

You are already going in with the wrong mind set saying "I just think so highly of my car and I always think that it can beat everything out there". This is just plain stupid and wrong. There is always someone else out there faster.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Meh, just go out and have fun. Who gives a crap if your car gets whomped on by some uber-Porsches?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

even if you can't keep up I am sure it will be lots of fun. Post after you go.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

I think the only place your really going to be embarassed is down the long straight. You should be able to more than hold your own through the twisties with the AWD, especially against the 2wd porches out there (the carerra 4's will be a problem). Even though they have really sorted out the handling of the porche, it is still rear engine and twitchy when driven at 10/10ths. As an aside, i have basically the same set-up on my 06 sti and run 13.1 at 104 at the 1/4. One of my neighbors has an 04 carerra and he only really starts to pull a little on me after 80 or so (aerodynamics!!), but it is noticable after that...

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    4 mile backstretch
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post
    4 mile backstretch
    That's 2 minutes @ 120mph, assuming you can control yourself and only do 120mph.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I appreciate all of the input. I have decided to just look at it as a learning experience as they are having a class on the Friday we are there and the track days are for the next two days. I'm started to get a little worried as my wife has started asking if she will be able to drive. That really freaks me out. As for the 18" wheel thing I just wanted them for the looks. It's the bling in me coming out. By the way after doing alittle research my Boss is full of Crap. The whole course is 3.27 miles and the back straightaway is 4000 feet long. A blast anyway but not what he said. I'm trying to put a picture of the track below so here goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vir.JPG  

Sounds like a ton of fun.. I can understand the concern about the wife driving. I don't like letting other people drive my car just because even if they're good drivers.. if anything happens to my car and I'm not behind the wheel I'd be even more pissed than if it was me causing the accident.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast