911's Vs Me? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 911's Vs Me? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i wouldn't be concerned with being embarassed. You should be able to keep up with the non tubro 911s and ...

i wouldn't be concerned with being embarassed. You should be able to keep up with the non tubro 911s and all their boxters will be belong to you. My uncle has 5 porches (2 he drives, the suv and a 911) and 3 he restores/sells. Just from the seat of the pants, the regular 911 doesnt feel much faster than my stock 07 STi.

The turbos and GT3, of course, will be quite out of reach. Granted they cost 150k and 200k respectively.

Really, just enjoy being out there on the track with your car!
    --== Hawkeye Alliance Member #096 ==--

2007 OBP STi
    Shorty Shifter, Boost Gauge

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    RWD>AWD on a dry track
    I respectfully disagree

probably not against a porsche, that whole engine in the back thing means that under full braking the weight distribution shifts forward to a perfect 50\50 for optimum braking.

that said, go out and have fun, on the track it's really all about the driver(short of the rich pricks that leave their traction control on).
    You may be surprised to know that the STi brakes actually are bigger than the 911 brakes. Weight distribution plays a key roll, true, but I would wager the STi can still outbrake a 911 (with upgraded pads/lines/fluid).

I did a search and couldn't locate any brake distance performance specs anywhere. I wish C&D or MT had access to their comparo specs. I can never seem to locate them.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

04 STI 60-0 138ft
    05 911 60-0 112ft

there are a million factors affecting that but the point is it's hard to get a pcar on the brakes.

I Support ClubWRX
    The standard issue 2000 911 I drove had outstanding brakes. I didn't test it under track conditions, though.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    hmmm..that data appears biased. When the 04 STi first came out along with the Evo, they were both posting sub 115 60-0 distances and in fact, the Evo actually broke the record at the time for ALL cars, with the STi a mere 3 feet back. I believe this was posted in both R&T and MT...granted not the most reliable sources but they are pretty consistant.

I also remember in SCC when they compared a stock STi to some WRX's that were modified to beat it, the stock STi pulled a 60-0 in 110 feet. And this was on stock pads. A lighter WRX with a big brake kit, slotted rotors and high performance pads (vishnu's wrx) could only tie the same distance.

MR (modern racer) also did a comparo and they had the Evo at 110 ft and the STi at 114 ft.

Care to share where you got your information?

What is a pcar?
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 06-08-2007 at 08:04 AM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I Support ClubWRX
    All other things equal, isn't braking ability only determined by area of contact patch of the tires on the road? If rusty drum brakes can lock up the tires on an '89 Sentra, installing uber disks with 14 piston calipers and exotic brake fluid won't help. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    All other things equal, isn't braking ability only determined by area of contact patch of the tires on the road? If rusty drum brakes can lock up the tires on an '89 Sentra, installing uber disks with 14 piston calipers and exotic brake fluid won't help. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    The vast majority of brake capability is associated with the contact patch and type of rubber compound. R-compound tires are going to stop a lot faster than all-season radials for the same car.

The rest is a combination of weight distribution, electronic nanney's and brake size. However, you can't put r-compound tires on a tired old hudson hornet and expect to beat even the slowest modern econo-box today, so the factors will always vary.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    hmmm..that data appears biased. When the 04 STi first came out along with the Evo, they were both posting sub 115 60-0 distances and in fact, the Evo actually broke the record at the time for ALL cars, with the STi a mere 3 feet back. I believe this was posted in both R&T and MT...granted not the most reliable sources but they are pretty consistant.

I also remember in SCC when they compared a stock STi to some WRX's that were modified to beat it, the stock STi pulled a 60-0 in 110 feet. And this was on stock pads. A lighter WRX with a big brake kit, slotted rotors and high performance pads (vishnu's wrx) could only tie the same distance.

MR (modern racer) also did a comparo and they had the Evo at 110 ft and the STi at 114 ft.

Care to share where you got your information?

What is a pcar?
    i just googled 2004 sti 60-0 and 2005 porsche 911 60-0 and whatever came up first. pcar=porsche

Quote Originally Posted by integra96
    well you don't really want to lock up your brakes and that rusty dusty brake is probably not hauling you down for 150mph quite as effectively as a nice big brembo. if you just lock up the brake there's no friction\heat\demand really placed on the brake anymore, it's all on the tire. but if you're actually braking it places the demand of constant friction on the brake itself and the stopping occurs within the brake, not between the tire and the pavement.

so like ybnormal is saying, tire compound really is one of the larger factors since it limits the amount of clamping force the brake can apply before it locks up the the tire and switches the braking from brake to tire.

Registered User kriswhite_23505's Avatar
    Ok we left Norfolk at 3:00am and we showed up at around 7:50 as we took our time. There were a ton of Evoís Porscheís, and Miataís. It was like a car show in the paddock area. I ran around like a little schoolgirl just snapping pictures away and meeting all types of people. Classroom was short and to the point and then we went out on the track. My instructor (Don) who was wicked cool drove my car first. He loved it! He did three laps and I have to be honest and tell you that I started wondering why in the hell I was out here. The track seemed very technical and a guy used to either going straight or only making left turns at speed I was very intimidated. That lasted about one lap after I took the wheel. What a exhilarating experience. I was actually able to go fast without worrying about the ďlawĒ being after me. After the first session Don told me to work on my smoothness and ďthe lineĒ Second session and I am firing out of the gate and getting mad that slower driverís are in my way. Iím ripping up the track. Iím coming down the back straight away going about 105 and get ready to brake in to the corner and my pedal goes to the floor. If that ainít a pucker moment I donít know what is. I start down shifting and managed to do a slight drift through the corner. Don says that he is impressed. I pit and pull off and it turns out that one of my bleeder valves on my rear driver side caliper is not tightened all the way down and is just spitting brake fluid out. A guy with a Ď67 Mustang fast back breaks out his tools and hooks me up. On my next session it begins to pour down with rain. Most of the track clears but my instructor says we can stay out if I want. This part was probably most informative. I didnít have to worry about the traffic in front of me or behind me so I could go as fast or a slow as I wanted. We worked on the line and I felt really good. After about 3 laps I noticed a M3 and a Z3 with the M package behind me and they were following my line. I waved them buy but they just kept following. Pretty soon I had a little train going on. It was pretty cool. I rode with my instructor in his old school BMW M3 during their run and it was an absolute blast. I am surprised that I didnít rip off his door handle, as I was white knuckled the entire time. I can tell you that my opinion of race driverís has changed. I used to think that all you did was step on the gas and turn. It really takes some skill endurance and reflexes. My last session was coming up and Don told me to act like it was a video game (I had mentioned Forza 2) and let it loose. I lined up behind my buddy with his 911, in front of him a 911S and then a Cayman. They all looked like meat to me. I picked them off one by one and maybe I was the only one that was pushing that hard or maybe I just underestimated my baby but either way we were both loving it. I hit the line great and felt super comfortable. Donít get me wrong I respect the car, the course and the speed but I feel quite a bit more comfortable. Two other highlights of the day was meeting a pretty cool guy with a Blue í06 Sti named Shawn. He was really nice and got a few pictures of me. His tires were not up to par according to him so he only stayed for the first two sessions. I also met a guy named Dan who works at AMS. He had a Evo that was nothing short of incredible. I thought he was hauling ass when I first saw him and then he told me that he was going to add more boost. That thing was a freaking rocket ship. He actually commented my car and I felt like yeah. All in all is was probably the second most fun I have ever had in a car (you shouldnít have to ask what number one was). It looks like I have something to replace that crack addiction of mine (just kidding of course). Sorry for rambling, Iím just excited. Iíll try and post some pictures later on.

Registered User kriswhite_23505's Avatar
    Some pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sti3.JPG   sti4.JPG   sti5.JPG   sti6.JPG   sti7.JPG  

me.JPG   bluesti2.JPG   bluesti3.JPG   cobra2.JPG   evocrew.JPG  

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like fun.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

man i need to go to the track

man i need to go to the track
    +1

looks like a blast

Hope i can go with a bunch of porches too
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Sounds like you had an awesome time dude! Congrats on kicking arse
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.