911's Vs Me? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 911's Vs Me? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; there's nothing to be embarrassed about man, It's an sti! You will hold your own. Your gonna have a blast ...

there's nothing to be embarrassed about man, It's an sti! You will hold your own. Your gonna have a blast driving with some sweet ass cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This is a good test case for you. You've raced you mustang before, but this will the first on track experience with the STi.

You've got the basics addressed, but I didn't see anything about brake lines or brake fluid. This is a must if you are planning on tracking the car. The lines will heat up and swell on the vicious braking you are going to be subjecting it to. The fluid will boil on the 2nd or 3rd lap. Please be sure to correct these items if you haven't already done so and I just missed it.

I also may have missed if you have a short shifter and hard bushings installed. This will be better too as under pressure at high speeds, the downshift from 5th to 4th can easily result in a 5th to 2nd downshift. Not a good thing of course, but fairly commong due to the shifter angle/tension and the not so great stock bushings.

Tires...stay away from the 18s on the track. The stockers have plenty of grip...just pump them up to about 50 psi and ajust to you driving style as necessary.

All the info above regarding the turbo and GT models are correct. If the driver has half a clue, you will see them from the rear, if at all and that will be it. Unless passing is allowed, then you'll get to see a front a side shot as the sling by you. No comparison at all. Although I do have to edit this.....I've taken on and beaten 911s before...quite a few times...but I can't help but think it was the driver I beat and not the car. I have not had the priveledge of tracking one so all I can do is go from experience.

Since this will be a 3 day weekend event, they will likely impose a wave to pass rule at designated areas only....wouldn't want to crunch up those pretty bodies right

VIR is a techically challenging track. Do you know what paddock you will be using? Just curious as this can make a difference in initial lap. My bet will be the south paddock as it give the long straight first, and provides an opportunity for the Porshes to stretch their legs.

A key item with an STi against a porshe. With good pads, fluid, and lines, you can outbreak a stock 911 (believe me...been there and done that). I'm not sure about your aftermarket pads as I only use Ferodo's. I've tried hawks before and just didn't like the results. The second important item is to remember to take advantage of the STi's difference in cornering. You will be able to apply more throttle earlier on in the cornering line due to the AWD, so use it to your advantage. I've found late apexing works this advantage to it's fullest, as it give you the opportunity to apply the throttle even earlier.

If you were planning on going Cobb stage 2 by race day, by all means get it before then so you can experience the difference first, as it changes the driving dynamics of the car. Stage 2 can easily put you off the track via a 4 wheel power slide if you aren't careful. I found it fairly easy to spin all 4 in second gear coming hard out of a corner, so you need to be aware of this.

Regardless of what you do, I hope you attend just for the fun of it. Next to teh sex, there is nothing better than the freedom of a track day in a performance machine. And you are going to get 2 days of this....with your wife at that I'd say that is a 2fer anyday!
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 03-12-2007 at 04:48 PM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I would'nt worry to much about getting stomped, just enjoy the time on the track, a few pencil d*cks aside, everyone should be cool, even if they all have to wait to pass you. I've never been to a track but have gone for organized drives with a slower car and no one seems to care, they're there for the thrill, not the kill. Have fun!
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Most of what everyone has posted here is true. Especially take heed of YBNormal's advice.

The only thing I wanted to say is I think people are overestimating the GT3. It is indeed out of the league of your STI, and most of the other 911s. But the 911 Turbo IS faster. On a road course, a good driver in a GT3 may be able to beat a 911 Turbo, especially if it's a GT3 RS (Rare.). But straightaway wise, the Turbo is superior. I think a few people are thinking of the 996 GT2, which I think is faster than even a 997 Turbo.

your definately right. the GT3 is a beautiful car but not as nice as the turbo. That is why the turbo cost more anyway.

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by kriswhite_23505 View Post
    My boss who has a 2005 Porsche 911 has invited me to a PCA (Porsche Club of America) event in the next few months at VIR (Virginia International Raceway). It is open to just about any performance car. He has a few of his buddies going that have 911s, a few 911 S models a Turbo 911 and even a GT3. I have a 2004 STI with the normal bolt on stuff: exhaust, down pipe, BOV (just kidding) Tein springs, HPS Brake pads, etc. I am getting a Cobb Accesport in three weeks and had planned on getting some 18 Rota P45s at the same time. Here is my question will I get terribly embarrassed out there? They have a backstretch that is 4 miles of straight away and I feel like I am going to be the laughing stock. Should I spend my money on more performance parts instead of the wheels? Any advice would be great!
    Thanks
    Kris
    Would it be a good idea to smoke your boss in front of his buddies anyway? "Get your resume together."

Have great fun and keep it safe. The turbos and GT3s are in another class. But with the rest, you and your tires, not your car, will dictate how well you compare.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

hope for rain
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    hope for rain
    I'm sure a 4S would give him a good run even in rain.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Peachypumpkincheeks

Since the OP is from March, I'm guessing this event is very close to happening, if it hasn't happened already! Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    Worry more about your car and keeping it shiney side up.
    Gold!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Registered User kriswhite_23505's Avatar
    Here is a update on me and my quest:
    We ended up not going to VIR and we leave for Summit Point tonight for one of the F.A.T.T. events. I am really looking forward to it and find myself giddy at work. I got the brake lines, high temp brake fluid, flushed and replaced all of the fluids in the car and also had Dyno, Inc. do a reflash and do a engunity tune. She screams like you wouldn't believe (I guess a bunch of you would). I have had everything on the car checked and any part that was questionable has been replaced. I am not trying to do any overkill but I want to be safe. I have decided against 18" wheels but I did get new tires. I have the Nitto Invo's and they seem pretty nice. I have 3k miles on them so they are still holding up pretty well. My boss still thinks that his Porsche is god's gift to the world and that is fine. I am more focused on learning to drive a AWD car on a track. I have matured a little since this post was started. I don't zip around quite as much and have decided to save it for the track. SRT-4's and 350Z's don't get me to jump on the highway anymore. We leave at 3:00 in themorning as we both get off at 9:00 pm tonight. I'll try and post pictures and let you know how it goes. Wish me luck.
    Kris

I Support ClubWRX
    mmm....my home track.. Which track are you running on? Summit Point or Shenandoah?

I prefer Summit Point as the banked chicane on Shenandoah is extremely rough....but fun.

If it is an FATT, you won't be able to judge your performance against the Porsche unless you both time your laps personally and then compare. Even then, unless you get a clean run, traffic will likely prevent you from achieving an all out best time.

Pointers:

Straight (from staging)...a bit over a mile. You'll hit +135 MPH speeds here and it ends in turn 1, a very tight U. Stay outside on entrance, late apex to use your power exiting. Hitting a good braking point is a must here.

Turn 2...nothing dramatic...outside line until about the crest, then start getting inside.

Turn 3. A bit technical as it is uphill after the apex and comes to a negative camber, so expect the car to want to drift right. Let it do so after the apex. You should be able to keep the pedal down throughout this turn.

Turn 4 and into 5. This is likely the key to the track. You will basically want to make turn 4 as much of a straight line as possible, and scacrifice speed through turn 5, keeping to the inside at the entrance and apex of 5, drifting outside on exit. This is a deceptive chute and getting this right sets you up for the next series.

6 and 7 is a carousel, and basically, after 5, you'll enter 6 on the outside and treat 6 and 7 like one big turn. Just stay on the concrete and things should go well. It is only natural to try to cut down and into 7, but resist and stay high on the concrete for the next set.

7,8 and 9 together are all about being smooth. Don't worry so much about cutting the right apex as being smooth in your turning transitions. These are short curves, but can upset the balance if you jerk it for the proper race line. Smoothness here pays off for setup into 10, which is to me the 2nd most important turn as you are entering the long straight. Stay on the gas in 10, taking a middle of the road apex, and drifting up (up-hill) as necessary to the extent of using the apron if necessary. Just stay on the gas. If you have to let up or brake, your line isn't right and try a different line the next loop.

Passing areas will be the front straight, right after turn 10 and the back semi-straight, right after turn 3.

You will do most of your passing on the front straight, typically right out of turn 10 when you can put the advantage of the STi at it's greatest.

Pay attention if passing after 3, as high HP RWD newbs tend to screw this one up and end up in the grass.

Above all....follow your own line. It's difficult to resist following a RWD or FWD car ahead of you and using their line, but it isn't the best for the AWD line.

Keep both hands on the wheel between shifts, and make yours shifts smooth...no need to power shift.

And last...remember your awesome braking. Coming out of the front straight and into turn 1 is where you will catch up to just about anything...regardless of the HP levels. Since you have done your upgrades now, you are right up there in supercar territory when it comes to braking now. Use it to best affect.

Don't forget to up the pressures in the tires of coure. I found a 2-4 psi difference front to rear works best since the STi tends to push a bit. Depending on the track temps, 48 frnt/52 rear is a good medium. I've run as high as 58 frnt/64 rear on colder days. This is dependant on your tires of course. I found the OEM's to be durable and dependant, so I stuck with them.

You can get air and race gas at the track if you desire. Bring a good air gauge though. A don't forget to NOT set your e-brake after a session. I saw a few stuck pads and this is something you can avoid.

Good luck, and keep us updated on the results!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Reading the above makes me wish it was me going.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Registered User kriswhite_23505's Avatar
    I think we are doing the Shenandoah. I really appreciate the advice. I have printed the tips and I am going to probably make a cheat sheet for my head unit to display. It probably won't be a good idea to look at them while I am on the track but I'll try and remember all that you said. Thanks again.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by 05Wagon View Post
    I think the only place your really going to be embarassed is down the long straight. You should be able to more than hold your own through the twisties with the AWD, especially against the 2wd porches out there (the carerra 4's will be a problem). Even though they have really sorted out the handling of the porche, it is still rear engine and twitchy when driven at 10/10ths.
    RWD>AWD on a dry track

Quote Originally Posted by ybnormal07
    And last...remember your awesome braking. Coming out of the front straight and into turn 1 is where you will catch up to just about anything...regardless of the HP levels. Since you have done your upgrades now, you are right up there in supercar territory when it comes to braking now. Use it to best affect.
    probably not against a porsche, that whole engine in the back thing means that under full braking the weight distribution shifts forward to a perfect 50\50 for optimum braking.

that said, go out and have fun, on the track it's really all about the driver(short of the rich pricks that leave their traction control on).
    Last edited by big_sur; 06-07-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast