wrx/sti vs jetta 1.8t - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on wrx/sti vs jetta 1.8t within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx There are some crazy stock turbo gti's on vwvortex. They are gti's tho hitting those low ...

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    There are some crazy stock turbo gti's on vwvortex. They are gti's tho hitting those low times. Basically nobody should underestimate the mighty 1.8t. specially when those fawkers go with larger snails, they haul a$$ and those engines can take a sh!t load b4 they give up on you. Lots more then any US suby engine can.
    Yeah, I just like the 2.0T's because the car is more reliable, the engine is just as strong, and they handle better.

People are going mid 14's stock in the MK5 GTi's and like I said mid-high 13's with wel over 100mph traps are getting pretty regular with bolt ons and EM.

Dude on the Maxima forums went 14.7 in his stock MK5 GTi and then with intake, full exhaust, and chip he hit 13.8 @ 103mph. With a custom tune he is looking at 13.5's @ 105 I guess
    Even though I hate FWD and VW's reliability, I would have a tough time not buying an MK5 GTi for only $24k if I was in the market for a new car in that price range.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

vw reliability? thats an oxy-moron. i worked at a dealershipnext to a vw dealer and got to know some of the techs, vw owners dont buy them for reliability but for brand image and those who think its a audi in vw clothing. even modded they are worse. one tech there had a gti or something pushing 400whp, it was always in the shop, sucked valves, burnt valves, blown out bottom ends. they just cant be built to be reliable performers.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

This is true

Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    vw reliability? thats an oxy-moron. i worked at a dealershipnext to a vw dealer and got to know some of the techs, vw owners dont buy them for reliability but for brand image and those who think its a audi in vw clothing. even modded they are worse. one tech there had a gti or something pushing 400whp, it was always in the shop, sucked valves, burnt valves, blown out bottom ends. they just cant be built to be reliable performers.
    I am a VW tech and I will tell you first hand these cars are not fully based on reliability. No doubt the new 2.0T FSI can withstand good HP/Torque numbers with stock internals but when it comes down to it, it is all a matter of preference. MK5's are nice and so are MK4's with the 1.8T, but the 1.8T is not as reliable as the new 2.0T. Any car can be made reliable with the green guys.
    It's working... it's working!!!!
    02 WRB WRX Wagon (R.I.P)
    Project 240 DIY: 93 240sx : Done
    2004 WRX Wagon

dont forget

a 220 FWD vs a 220 AWD, AWD will win.

Quote Originally Posted by EurotuneR View Post
    dont forget

Uhm.... what?

You can't (well, you shouldn't, but you did) make a blanket statement like that. Both cars having equal levels of power - the AWD will be faster from a dig, and the FWD will be faster from a roll. Traction vs driveline loss.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by EurotuneR View Post
    dont forget

Not necessarily. Those of us that know about our cars are aware that:

Things such as area under the curve, torque, how the power is held in the band and gearing play a much bigger difference.

Blanket statements usually do not reflect well here.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Watch out for those with GT28RS or T3T04E!
    I saw T3T04E 1.8T beating e55 and LS1 from a roll on winter tires
    05 WRX Stg 2
    Helix catted DP
    Greddy Evo 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Uhm.... what?

You can't (well, you shouldn't, but you did) make a blanket statement like that. Both cars having equal levels of power - the AWD will be faster from a dig, and the FWD will be faster from a roll. Traction vs driveline loss.
    With identical weight, drag, gearing etc etc.., 220whp AWD vs 220whp fwd would be dead even frumaroll, and the AWD would win frumadig.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12