02 WRX w/ JDM v7 STi conversion v. Typhoon.

This is a discussion on 02 WRX w/ JDM v7 STi conversion v. Typhoon. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I don't post much on this forum, more of a lurker. But this one last night was waaaaaaaay to much ...

02 WRX w/ JDM v7 STi conversion v. Typhoon.

I don't post much on this forum, more of a lurker. But this one last night was waaaaaaaay to much fun. As some of you know, its winter here. And chicago is no diffrent. On my way home from work at about 9:30pm, I ran across a typhoon running on winter tyres and at least sporting an exhaust/bov/intake. Because once that truck got into boost you could hear the turbo spoolin up and the motor roaring.

Anyways. it snowed in Chicago reciently and the plows really havn't picked up all the snow yet. So me and this ty line up going about 30 down this one quiet, usually busy durring the day, street. We both kinda looked at eachother and knew it was on. I was crusin in 5th when I lined up against him and noticed his brake lights glowing and his motor getting louder....hes brakeboosting. So I downshift from 5th all the way to 3rd and off we go.

He instantly pulls a car on me, both of us fighting for traction on the cold sippery pavement. I slam into 4th and he is still holding his half car lead. By now we are going about 60 and I am slowly starting to reel him in. But then it was all over...we shut down at about 100mph. Almost dead even.

At the next light I asked him what the hell he had under his hood he said something but I couldn't make it out as the light changed and he was off again.

Not too shabby for a self tuned VF30 powered v7 STi on all sesason

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice race!

The Typhoons (and Syclones) can be very badass trucks. You guys both raced from your disadvantage so all was even too. Must have been wicked fun.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Man, I don't know why STi's even come with a first gear -- I couldn't own one. A 30 mph roll calls for 3rd gear? Shifting into 4th by 60? I'd be so tired of that I'd trade it after the first week.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I agree, I think that 6 speeds in a car with a wide torque band like an STi's is pretty unnecessary. I feel that the strength of the STi's tranny in a 5 speed configuration would be better suited for most applications, except maybe some lower speed maneuvering such as autocross where 2nd gear may be just right. I know it's definitely a hindrance for the quarter mile.

I guess that's why PPG's are around. I believe I read somewhere(NASIOC I think) that the PPG dogbox for the STi's transmission actually had 4th gear taller than 5th (5th and 6th stock gears), which to me kinda confirms that 5 gears are probably better than 6.
    Last edited by ty webb; 02-16-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadCow View Post

Not too shabby for a self tuned VF30 powered v7 STi on all sesason
    modlist?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals