'06 WRX 4EAT vs '04 WRX 5SPD
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '06 WRX 4EAT vs '04 WRX 5SPD within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay story is I have a 2006 wrx limited with the 4eat all stock and my friend has an '04 ...

'06 WRX 4EAT vs '04 WRX 5SPD

Okay story is I have a 2006 wrx limited with the 4eat all stock and my friend has an '04 wrx 5spd with just a greddy exhaust, bov and no engine mangement. luckily we were coming back from a movie and the time was about 2:00am so the streets were empty.

okay we're rolling on a straight street that doesnt have a stop light for nearly a 1/4 mile. he called me up and asked if i felt like seeing how slow a 4eat was, so i replied "okay, i'll lose, but your gonna buy me gas for this afterwards", he agreed.

okay we're driving 35mph and I'm driving in 2nd (since I thought id get more power) i honk three times and we take off, I didnt floor it cause i read that flooring a 4eat is useless so I kept giving it more and more gas, i shifted the car to 3rd at 5k since 4eats take a half sec to actually shift, by now we're going just a lil past 90mph and i look over to my right and we're dead even and and by 100 we slowed down for the light.

we turn back around and wanted to see how the cars would do with a launch. since i read the max i could do for a 4eat for a break launch was 3.2k, thats what I did. I revved the car up to 5k several times to spool the turbo up and held on to my brakes at 3.2k and when the light turned green i let off. and my cars nose with 2-2.5 feet behind the 04's nose, im assuming this because you can launch 5spd at 5k, hence they have faster 0-60's and 1/4, I stay with him and we eventually almost partically came side to side throughout the race until we let off at 70mph. I stayed in 2nd the whole time without upshifting to 3.

so lesson learned, im never doing that again, and i got my free full tank of gas. my friend was surprised how quick the new autos were. I'm guessing the 2.5l is much better suited with the autobox, and the extra torque really helps out. Maybe in the future, I'll do a stage 2, hs torque converter, and tranny cooler.

questions, does everything for the 02-05 4eats apply for the 06+ 4eats? any difference or improvement in the 4eat transmission? it is possible to brake launch an 06 4eat at maybe 3.5k or 4k rpm?

anybody know the actual times of an 06+, according to msn.com they have the slushboxes at 0-60/6.5 and 1/4 @ 14.9, but I heard msn.com isnt really reliable for their times since they just stomp of the gas from a stop. I read some other track sites that the 4eat could do 6.1-6.2/0-60. My co-worker who has 07 4eat wrx wagon told me he did 6.5/0-60 without a brake launch.
    Last edited by Seattle206; 02-14-2007 at 04:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I hope the 4EAT is stronger than the 5EAT used in the Legacy. Otherwise you'll break it doing too many powerbrake launches. The LGT's usually break when powerbraking at 3500+ rpm. They end up launching right in the peak torque of the engine and parts let go.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

the 4eat does shift differently depending on the throttle data its receiving. If you floor it or have it in enough throttle, it willshift harder than if you keep it below 3k rpms.
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

Nice kill?

Wonder how a stage 2 06 would fair against the 02-05's.....(both 4eat's)

You should have just left it in Drive. Nice job though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle206 View Post
    Okay story is I have a 2006 wrx limited with the 4eat all stock and my friend has an '04 wrx 5spd with just a greddy exhaust, bov and no engine mangement. .
    nothing wrong with stock - stage WARRANTY FTW

Tell your friend to get on this forum so you don't have to embarass him by being the one to tell him his mods are hurting his cars performance and are detrimental to the engines longetivity. Cliff's notes, ditch the bov, invest in a Cobb unit or tactrix cable and flash to stage I if that GReddy exhaust is catback, stage II if it's turboback.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Hey, Great races!!!

It sounds like you don't need a magazine time; it sounds like you found out the WRX is a good performer, even in auto. Mag times are just mag times, but modernracer.com has the 06+ auto running a 0-60 of only 6.2 seconds.
    http://www.modernracer.com/subaruimprezawrx2006.html

Not bad, not bad at all. Go with stage II and call it a day; that is what I am hoping to do with mine once the warranty is up.

^^ you have a 06+ WRX 4EAT too? awesome.

I plan on doing a stage 2 when my warranty is up also. thought about doing a hs tc and a tranny cooler but im not a big racehead and a little more hp and torque can be extra useful for passing cars and getting out of certain situations.

how you like your 4eat?

edit:

hey arizonawrx, if a 4eat 2.5l wrx can do 0-60 in 6.2, then what numbers do guess it might do with a stage 2? just a random question.
    Last edited by Seattle206; 02-20-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Stage 2 is pretty fun even with a 4EAT IMO. It drives alot different when you put it to the floor. It is made to be driven with a very heavy foot when you want it to act (and shift) less casually. The owners manual (02 4EAT anyway) says clearly that in order to pass just push the gas to the floor.

The power delivery with a stock 4EAT and a stage2 protune is way, way better. Much easier to mudulate and use. I cant wait to get the tranny up to speed... literally.

The 2.5 is probably a pure joy to drive once you get the usual mods done.
    Last edited by 02radioflyer; 02-20-2007 at 02:08 AM.
    02redwagone on Nasioc

we turn back around and wanted to see how the cars would do with a launch. since i read the max i could do for a 4eat for a break launch was 3.2k, thats what I did. I revved the car up to 5k several times to spool the turbo up and held on to my brakes at 3.2k and when the light turned green i let off.
    Please clarify what you did when revving the auto trans car to 5k to build boost while at a dead stop. Was the car in neutral? If so, did you let the rpms fall back down before putting it back in gear? It's been a few years since I've driven an automatic, and I'm not familiar with the process anymore...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Tell your friend to get on this forum so you don't have to embarass him by being the one to tell him his mods are hurting his cars performance and are detrimental to the engines longetivity. Cliff's notes, ditch the bov, invest in a Cobb unit or tactrix cable and flash to stage I if that GReddy exhaust is catback, stage II if it's turboback.
    +100
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

Please clarify what you did when revving the auto trans car to 5k to build boost while at a dead stop. Was the car in neutral? If so, did you let the rpms fall back down before putting it back in gear? It's been a few years since I've driven an automatic, and I'm not familiar with the process anymore...
    at a dead stop, i set the car in neutral, revved it up to 3k, 4k, then 5k, felt the brake depress, let the rpms fall back down and set it into either D, 3, or 2. then hold onto the brake and gas it to 3.2k, but i dont hold it long cause itll heat the ish outta the tranny.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post

-You vacuum lock the brakes with a couple of free revs.

-Left foot on brake, right foot on gas

-As rpms rise, so does boost (as well as tranny temperature). If you do this for more than ~5 seconds you risk serious damage to your transmission.

-Stock 4eats can reach ~3400 rpms max (unless you are heatsoaked). TC mod will let you rev it to >4000 rpms, unless you are me. When I drag raced my 4eat, I used to be able to build 14 psi of boost from the launch.

-Release left foot, and either two things happen: (1) the tires will break loose and car will bolt off line, (2) Engine will bog and launch will be mediocre.

My best 60' was high 1.8's with this method.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

-Release left foot, and either two things happen: (1) the tires will break loose and car will bolt off line, (2) Engine will bog and launch will be mediocre
    yeah, i've done a break launch 4 times total at 3-3.2k rpm and my head snaps back pretty hard.

TonyG-

with a hs tc do you launch it as it would without the hs tc? doesnt this over heat the tranny? or is this way a tranny cooler is needed. what mods do you currently have in your car?

TonyG-

with a hs tc do you launch it as it would without the hs tc? doesnt this over heat the tranny? or is this way a tranny cooler is needed. what mods do you currently have in your car?
    You launch it the same way as I said above. With the TC mod, the rpms should flash quicker, but nevertheless the tranny will still get very hot. I had two tranny coolers in my 4eat while I was racing it.

After my TC mod, I still couldn't get past 3400 rpms, so it was a waste for me. But even if it could stall up to 4-5 k, I doubt it will launch anywhere near as hard as my Evo or my stang.

Along with the TC, I have an up-pipe and dual stage MBC. But after wasting $1000 on the TC mod, I stopped modding. I don't race it anymore either -the 4eat is a DD for my wife, and has over 110k miles. Tranny is holding up fine.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.