06 STi vs 06 Charger

This is a discussion on 06 STi vs 06 Charger within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have 06 STi completely stock. Not even accessport. Haven't modified because it's a lease and I'm having plenty fun ...

06 STi vs 06 Charger

I have 06 STi completely stock. Not even accessport. Haven't modified because it's a lease and I'm having plenty fun as is.

Last week on the way to work, I was stopped at the usual traffic light. Then I saw this '06 charger pull up to my right. Now the lane the charger is in merges into mine about 100 feet past the traffic light. This type of situation happens daily and normally, car in the right lane just falls back behind me.

Not this day... As soon as the light turned green, I launched normally but ahead of the charger. I wasn't expecting a race. But then as soon as I shifted to 2nd, the charger all of sudden pulled a car length ahead. I don't think he intended to race either but just wanted to cut in front of me. I wasn't about to let that happen so I floored it in 2nd. Immediately, I regained about half a car length. I shifted to 3rd at around 6500 RPM and we're about even by the time I was ready to shift to 4th. Eventually, I was about half a car length ahead before he gave up and fell in behind me. I think I was doing close to 100mph in 5th gear when I saw him slow down. Yea, I know, I normally wouldn't have done this if there was traffic but this was early morning and just few cars behind us.

Now, I haven't seen the rear of the charger so I'm not sure what trim it was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Hemi. It seemed like an automatic and stock too. So yea, he caught me off guard and jumped a car length in the beginning and it was a rolling start which is also a disadvantage for STI but I really thought STI should've beat it by more than a half car length. If it was Hemi, I'm sure he would've succeeded in cutting me off.

Thinking really hard about getting accessport. Anyone know if it's okay to get accessport for leased vehicle?
    Last edited by taz1004; 01-24-2007 at 02:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I thought all the chargers were automatic.
    Car-less

Quote Originally Posted by taz1004 View Post
    Thinking really hard about getting accessport. Anyone know if it's okay to get accessport for leased vehicle?
    I've yet to see anyone come up with an example of a dealership that discovered an AP had been used on a car, but you're still taking a small chance that they could find out. I guess that the worst thing that could happen is that you end up buying the car at the end of the lease. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

CPC
    Becareful cause they are using chargers for undercover cop cars.
    Cobb Stage 1 02 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by CPC View Post
    Becareful cause they are using chargers for undercover cop cars.
    Chargers are not even undercover in Jersey anymore...many areas have them decked out like regular cop cars. Philly uses them (with the Hemi's) as their Highway patrol...badass looking cop cars.

...and chances are...if it was staying with you in an STI and pulling a little bit, it was probably a Hemi and not the V6. They are fast, but BIG, and automatic and not AWD...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Seeing one of those charger cop cars in your rearview mirror is scary as hell Espically when your doing like 80mph. I wonder if the highway patrol chargers have any mods to them like the old 5-0 crown vics.

Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    Seeing one of those charger cop cars in your rearview mirror is scary as hell Espically when your doing like 80mph. I wonder if the highway patrol chargers have any mods to them like the old 5-0 crown vics.
    They have very nice mods, that we all payed for
    Vag-eye Militia #1
    Military Militia #3

Quote Originally Posted by WRXED06 View Post
    They have very nice mods, that we all payed for

THOSE S.O.B.'S!!!!!!!

What kind of mods? This could be usefull info if I ever have to out-flank one. So I know what their weaknesses are compared to my car. No but seriously I'm sure just a beefed up suspension, maybe a different trans, or at least rear diff. and poss. a chip??????
    Last edited by blackzwrx; 01-25-2007 at 09:54 AM.

It depends on the jurisdiction as to what mods are on their cars. Some city/county garages hate mods and do all they can to actually restrict power so "they don't have to repair as often." Others realize that officers need all they can get and do whatever they can to help out.

My Grand Marquis was clearly faster than a stock WRX from a 40 roll. I had intake mods and a Superchips programmer. It netted a 9.9 @ 74 in the 1/8th which isn't too bad for that kind of car.

Chrysler tries to prevent all ECU mods so easy upgrades are harder for them to accomplish on the Chargers. Most departments will have the 250hp v6 versions since the hemi models cost $10k, or 50% more, than the Crown Vics do.

Police packages from any manufacturer already include stiffer suspension, better rear ratio, big alternator, silicone hoses, as well as a raised or removed top speed limiter. 100 mph is quite common in law enforcement but the need for 125+ is nowhere near as frequent.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I watched a show on the Speed Channel on TV about them. They have both options in engines for the Chargers. Many of the Cities are going for the V6 for gas saving reasons, but still with good power. But highway patrols are going for the Hemis.

And one of them in the rearviews are SCARY!

What is going to suck here in Philly, is when the PA Statey's are going to take over patrol on 95, 676, and 76 here in Philly area...meaning there will finally be radar for speed monitoring. PA currently has a law which allows only Statey's to have radar (local newspaper said this)...coming in 2008
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the chargers that I saw on 95 by my old house in philly(cottman) were the hemi version.

still... find twisties or gravel or the roads are cold and your fine
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the chargers that I saw on 95 by my old house in philly(cottman) were the hemi version.
    Yeah they are...scare SOBs they are...you can actually hear them with a nice deep rumble if they pass you...

Quote Originally Posted by taz1004 View Post
    Haven't modified because it's a lease and I'm having plenty fun as is.

Now, I haven't seen the rear of the charger so I'm not sure what trim it was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Hemi. It seemed like an automatic and stock too.

You can mod a leased vehicle. You just have to return the car to stock form when you give the car back. If you break anything, just replace the part. Pay to play.

I am stage 4, get all my service done at the dealership (ive had it worked on at 3 different dealers, no issue) and have 1 year left on my lease.

All Chargers are Automatic. A non-Hemi would be very slow. It was most likely a 5.7L Hemi and not a SRT-8 6.1L Hemi.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    You can mod a leased vehicle. You just have to return the car to stock form when you give the car back. If you break anything, just replace the part. Pay to play.

I am stage 4, get all my service done at the dealership (ive had it worked on at 3 different dealers, no issue) and have 1 year left on my lease.

All Chargers are Automatic. A non-Hemi would be very slow. It was most likely a 5.7L Hemi and not a SRT-8 6.1L Hemi.
    ahh...didn't know the SRT-8's and regular Hemi's were different engines. I knew the base Hemi was 5.7...thats some cool stuff to know.